Yet another idiot flying near a firefighting area...

What a [EXPLETIVE REMOVED], too bad they couldn't just water cannon his drone outta the air. The lack of common sense with people still amazes me....though it shouldn't at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree with you gentlemen. Total knuckleheads. I live in California where fires are everywhere and I operate commercially and stay very aware of my surroundings during operation. Do be aware though that with all this technology, no fireman, police or news reporter has shown actual "footage" of any drone over a fire interrupting air crews. I think we need "evidence" before our whole industry is presumed guilty...you think? I'm sure someone has a phone handy to record it..jus sayin...

Do remember this is the day and age of "regulation by media". If they can get the general public behind them (government), every drone in the country (except for military, police, and fire) will be grounded. Don't fall for the hoopla!!! And then what/who will you complain to when a police drone is outside your window?...The police? Guess what..we just gave them a free pass to "legally" invade our privacy now...jus sayin...

I am in no way bashing our outstanding first responders, and such either. I've served 12 years honorably in the military in aviation, so I do know the "inside" of the machine. Be careful what we ask for guys. The rope will tighten...and won't loosen...ever. (i.e. gun laws, search and seizure, freedom of speech, etc etc etc)

I work in the aviation industry on helicopters to this day, and have yet to be told by one of my fellow pilots or crew members that a drone has hampered their day in any form...yet.

Demand the evidence

Demand the evidence

Seriously? Often times THIS type of incident happens where the guys n gals on the ground aren't walking around with their cell phones out ready to take the next selfie. They have picks and shovels trying to work the fire and create back burns etc.

While I do doubt a LOT of the DRONE reports by pilots etc across the country I tend to give a bit more credibility to those who are out there putting their lives on the line to protect life & limb from fires. I can assure you the very last thing they want to happen is to suspect aerial support for even a single minute regardless of the reason.

Keep in mind that fire suppression aircraft are operating at (or slightly beyond) operating limits of their aircraft. They are in high stress, low altitude, heavy, and HORRIBLE conditions. That very last thing they need to be worried about is a UAS taking out an engine or windshield during these flight missions.

Just because you didn't see the tree fall in the woods doesn't mean it didn't fall.

Do remember this is the day and age of "regulation by media"......... If they can get the general public behind them (government), every drone in the country (except for military, police, and fire) will be grounded. Don't fall for the hoopla!!! ......... The rope will tighten...and won't loosen...ever. (i.e. gun laws, search and seizure, freedom of speech, etc etc etc).........I work in the aviation industry on helicopters to this day, and have yet to be told by one of my fellow pilots or crew members that a drone has hampered their day in any form...yet...........Demand the evidence
=======================================================================

OUTSTANDING & VERY IMPORTANT POST ! My apologies for shortening this guy's lengthy post in the hopes more folks will read it.

I think we make a mistake thinking some drone flyer is out having his jollys in a situation like this. I'd say the higher probability could well be a concerned homeowner fearful of where the fire is and flying a drone to get a view. Just saying things aren't always what they seem. Of course, said homeowner is in the wrong, but then fear is a powerful force.

-- zigs

I think we make a mistake thinking some drone flyer is out having his jollys in a situation like this. I'd say the higher probability could well be a concerned homeowner fearful of where the fire is and flying a drone to get a view. Just saying things aren't always what they seem. Of course, said homeowner is in the wrong, but then fear is a powerful force.

-- zigs

I disagree. We had exactly the same situation over a wildfire here last week, shutting down all aerial operations for over an hour. The local homeowners had all been evacuated and, in any case, were the last people likely to jeopardize the firefighting effort by flying a drone. I'd say most likely it was flown to get "cool" video and photos of the fire.

I disagree. We had exactly the same situation over a wildfire here last week, shutting down all aerial operations for over an hour. The local homeowners had all been evacuated and, in any case, were the last people likely to jeopardize the firefighting effort by flying a drone. I'd say most likely it was flown to get "cool" video and photos of the fire.

We won't know in this case unless they find the perpetrator. My only point is don't jump to conclusions about the motivation that drives people to do things. Without perspective it's hard to come to reasonable conclusions and solutions. Over generalization is our enemy in the long run.

-- zigs
=============================================

Another outstanding post ! Thank you !

We won't know in this case unless they find the perpetrator. My only point is don't jump to conclusions about the motivation that drives people to do things. Without perspective it's hard to come to reasonable conclusions and solutions. Over generalization is our enemy in the long run.

It's fine to argue for not jumping to conclusions, and yet you promptly concluded, with no supporting argument, that it was a homeowner flying a drone to track the fire. I'm not jumping to conclusions either - I'm arguing that it is not the most likely explanation.

It's fine to argue for not jumping to conclusions, and yet you promptly concluded, with no supporting argument, that it was a homeowner flying a drone to track the fire. I'm not jumping to conclusions either - I'm arguing that it is not the most likely explanation.
Actually, I stated "the higher probability." Hopefully, you're not a gambling man. ;-)

Reactions: sar104 and N017RW
Reactions: BigAl07
Guess that guy read my post...[emoji106] I knew somebody would have a phone available...time to prosecute!!

Although not about THIS exact fire, here's some video evidence of some kind of UAS in the restricted area:

Video released showing drone threatening crews over Cajete Fire

That guy needs a better potato to record video.
I have a problem with the news station and the way they reported it. How was it threatening the crews? Was it going up to them and telling them it was going to kick their asses? It was interfering with the operation. But hey, that's the modus operandi of the media now, spread fear and hate and keep the ignorant misinformed. Sensationalism sells.
If they just did a drop on the UAV it will end that right away. I'm pretty sure a few thousand gallons of water will bring it down.

Once again, they used a Phantom as the example, and not the "orange cylindrical shaped drone" that was spotted.
Also, not near as much mentioning of the campfire that wasn't put out, but more about the illegal quad.
Still though, I hope they find the quad operator and "drag him through the coals"!

That guy needs a better potato to record video.
I have a problem with the news station and the way they reported it. How was it threatening the crews? Was it going up to them and telling them it was going to kick their asses? It was interfering with the operation. But hey, that's the modus operandi of the media now, spread fear and hate and keep the ignorant misinformed. Sensationalism sells.
If they just did a drop on the UAV it will end that right away. I'm pretty sure a few thousand gallons of water will bring it down.

Presumably your suggestion to drop water on it is a joke, but it's hard to tell.

Once again, they used a Phantom as the example, and not the "orange cylindrical shaped drone" that was spotted.
Also, not near as much mentioning of the campfire that wasn't put out, but more about the illegal quad.
Still though, I hope they find the quad operator and "drag him through the coals"!

There has been incessant coverage here of the abandoned campfire, as well as of the hundreds of other abandoned campfires in the Jemez Mountains that have been detected and dealt with before they could cause a wildfire. The apparent drone sighting is more unusual, and getting coverage for that reason.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl