Worthwhile to upgrade from Mavic?

Reaction score
I recently bought a Mavic Pro as my first drone and have been getting very familiar and comfortable with it. I have a few days left in my return period and have been having 2nd thoughts on it vs a P4P (pr P4A). I did my research before purchasing and compared the Phantom lines to the Mavic and for a few reasons I went with the Mavic. I think the primary reason was size - I was under the impression that smaller would be better, but in all reality its not. I really dont know of any reason why the Mavics size is an advantage when its in flight, and when its not flying its sitting in a case on a shelf and that doesn't make much difference to me. I know some people will take the Mavic and controller and throw it in a backpack and go. I'm finding I'm not one of those people. Anytime I move it I have it in a hard protective case with the accessories I'd need so the carrying size isn't really a factor for me.

So with size no longer being a deciding factor I look at price. I made the mistake of not purchasing it with the Fly bundle, so a few days later I ended up buying a hard case. Then an extra battery. Then a spare set of props. Then a multi-charger. It all added up. Even after I return or sell everything the Mavic is still cheaper than a P4P but I can afford either one and am willing to pay for the right device.

I do take video with it but find I enjoy it more for still pictures. I dont expect either to replace my SLR but it is a great device to add to my photography hobby. I'm second guessing not having gone for the large sensor on the P4 line, primarily for twilight or night shooting, I think that would open up a whole new world of uses for me as I get better at flying. I also know the FOV is slightly wider which I think may help, in the US I'm limited to 400 feet height restriction and there are times I just can't get a shot straight down - I know its just a tad more, bit every bit helps. (or am I wrong, is it so insignificant it doesn't help?)

I do have a few more questions that may help me make a decision: How does the sound compare between the devices? Is one noticeably quieter than the other? How about visibility? With the Phantoms being white and the Mavic being dark gray, I would think the Mavic is easier to see in the sky - is it harder to see the Phantom especially on an overcast or cloudy day? I've read threads on here as well as Mavicpilots and as far as reliability/stability/build quality is one better than the other? I'm leaning towards the P4P over the P4A, I know the extra features/functions of that the P4P offers, aside from a smaller pricetag is there anything that the P4A offers thats worth considering?

If you've read this far - thank you, I welcome your feedback!

How does the sound compare between the devices?
The P4A/P4P is a little bit louder than the Mavic. The difference is noticeable, but it's not a large difference.

How about visibility?
When unfolded, the Mavic is about the same size as the P4A/P4P (minus the landing gear). For me, the color of either doesn't make one easier to see over the other.

as far as reliability/stability/build quality is one better than the other?
The build quality of my Mavic/P4A/P4P are the usual DJI quality. I wouldn't say one is built better than the other. All of mine have been very reliable/stable.

I'm leaning towards the P4P over the P4A, I know the extra features/functions of that the P4P offers, aside from a smaller pricetag is there anything that the P4A offers thats worth considering?
Other than the price savings, the only other thing that's worth considering is the extra features you'll be missing out on. I guess we don't need to get into that though since you're already aware of those differences.

Other than the price savings, the only other thing that's worth considering is the extra features you'll be missing out on. I guess we don't need to get into that though since you're already aware of those differences.

Thanks - thats what I had thought.. I think the extra obstacle avoidance sensors are worth the extra cost.

The side sensors? They can only be used when flying in beginner or tripod mode. If you're not going to be flying in those modes, then you'll likely never use the side sensors.

The side sensors? They can only be used when flying in beginner or tripod mode. If you're not going to be flying in those modes, then you'll likely never use the side sensors.
Interesting.. I didn't know that.. What about the rear sensor? Is that the same? (I think thats probably more helpful than the side ones)

The rear sensor is only active when flying backward. Again though, you might never use it unless you do a lot of backward flying.

Aside from price, ask yourself why did you buy a Mavic? Take it from there and revisit those reasons and motivators. Bottom line, the only real advantage of having a P4P is the camera. However it comes with a lot of bulk and a higher price.

If, like most of us you are into photography and videography then only 2 aspects really count in deciding and neither of them is cost: Quality of Camera and portability. Really - portability is key for most of the photographic work I do. Having a P3P for nearly 2 years, I went for portability and got a Mavic. The best camera is the one you have with you.

If you are a hobby flyer and are into drones for other reasons than photography then I don’t quite see your struggle.

Aside from price, ask yourself why did you buy a Mavic? Take it from there and revisit those reasons and motivators. Bottom line, the only real advantage of having a P4P is the camera. However it comes with a lot of bulk and a higher price.

If, like most of us you are into photography and videography then only 2 aspects really count in deciding and neither of them is cost: Quality of Camera and portability. Really - portability is key for most of the photographic work I do. Having a P3P for nearly 2 years, I went for portability and got a Mavic. The best camera is the one you have with you.

If you are a hobby flyer and are into drones for other reasons than photography then I don’t quite see your struggle.

Thanks Roamer - I am in it for the photography which is why I am curious about the P4P. I am curious as to how the portability of the Mavic is an improvement over the Phantom's? Do you carry the Mavic in a case or simply in a bag you already carry? In that case I can definitely see the benefit of it, and since I'm not carrying the Mavic that way I don't know that I would notice it as much as others. I understand the box for the Mavic is probably half the size as the Phantom, but either way I'm carrying something extra.

Reactions: bad karma
I am carry the Mavic in the DJI leather shoulder strap case. Well made, very compact and still able to carry all I need: Mavic, 3 batteries, remote, cables, SD cards filters and all. The total package is smaller AND lighter than my Canon DSLR case with an additional long lens. So, yes - there is no way I can complain about size or weight while hiking to some gorgeous spot. The P3P I have is in the DJI backpack case. Fits well, but it is pretty close to all I would carry which means I can't have a regular backpack with provisions and water with me at the same time. That is very restrictive to me.

When it comes to quality of video I am afraid there is little difference once either is properly post processed (requires high powered computer and software such as Resolve Studio Pro). I would agree if you take stills in RAW format you will extract a significant qualitative difference between the two. No argument there.

This was very misleading to me before I purchased the drone, the display at Best Buy and the DJI website do not specify this (at least not anywhere up front). It just said “5-way obstacle avoidance”

Having said that, I use tripod mode to shoot roofs and sweeping landscapes and the sensors work very well [emoji4]. Just be prepared for a slow, scenic journey [emoji4]

I will say, the 5.8 ghz band comes in VERY handy and once I saw the value there, Id say the Pro is worth the extra anyway, side sensors aside. [emoji4]

This was very misleading to me before I purchased the drone, the display at Best Buy and the DJI website do not specify this (at least not anywhere up front). It just said “5-way obstacle avoidance”
The Phantom 4 cannot avoid obstacles below. Perhaps the sign stated 5-way obstacle sensing. That's how the DJI website describes it.

I think thats exactly what it said. Just no specification of side sensors only being available in certain modes

I would love to have a Mavic for flying and traveling with! Plus, it is def so much quieter than my P4P. But me being a prof photog for 31 years will not let me settle for most of my flying around here with a Mavic. The IQ is a huge deal for me. And I am printing 36in wide prints. That's when you really see the diff in the two sensors! The P4P is incredible bird. Has it's little issues like every DJI bird does. But it rocks overall!

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
Thank you everyone.. I think you all pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.. Now - to find the best bundle!

I also know the FOV is slightly wider which I think may help, in the US I'm limited to 400 feet height restriction and there are times I just can't get a shot straight down - I know its just a tad more, bit every bit helps. (or am I wrong, is it so insignificant it doesn't help?)
The difference in FoV is very little.
The lenses are the 35mm equivalent of 28mm & 24mm.
You'd hardly notice and if you really want to fit in more, you can always shoot panoramas.
I think the extra obstacle avoidance sensors are worth the extra cost.
OA is not magic, it has some limitations and it comes at a price (speed and range).
It's rare that I would be flying close enough to obstacles to need it but I very much appreciate the 50% speed boost you get when you switch it off and the extra range that comes with higher speed.

Reactions: bad karma
I own both the P4P and Mavic Pro. Which drone I use for a particular job depends on a number of factors. The PRP is heavier and I count on it for a more stable platform. If there is any wind, the PRP also wins in my book. The Mavic travels better, is slightly faster, and is a great in capturing what I call fill-in photography. If I have a quick job, such as: surveying a house for a roof replacement, monitoring water flow or well placement on a farm, establishing game trails for hunters, etc., I'll typically use the Mavic. If I need no-fail, top quality video, I'll take the P4P.

Ever since I bought my P4P in May I hardly fly my Mavic anymore. P4P just provides superior optics and resolution. IMO the Mavic suffers from sun flares and glares, way more than P4P. Post can't fix that, you have to be very diligent about shooting with the sun in back of the Mavic. However Mavic is clearly quieter if animal video capture is your passion. Both have outstanding radio range but the P4P has better battery duration and flight range. The new Mavic platinum with sinusoidal ESCs may equal the P4P flight duration, I'm not sure.

To add to this discussion a little more: one of the most annoying differences between MP and Phantoms is the apparent difficulty to yaw softly and well controlled. I discovered today that the “Enable synchronized Pan Follow” enabled (default) was the culprit. It does not actually do what the description would suggest. When enabled, if you pan slowly the gimbal will move in that direction, but the AC does not UNTIL the gimbal pan range limit is reached, at which point the AC “jerks” the yaw movement to follow, but then the yaw movement is too much, so you start pulling back which again just moves the gimbal again until it’s limit is reached etc. So on the video it appears as that the yaw movement is on a rubber band that will swing back just a little when stopping the yaw movement. That is totally unacceptable behavior. Moreover if you fly FPV it feels like the bird is reluctant to react to you yaw/rudder control yet visually it seems to do the right thing.

I turned that feature off and now, I get to control the camera just as smooth as I can with the phantom. Very [emoji2]

Reactions: John Locke
One more item: If you claim the Mavic is more "nervous" and more difficult to control smooth camera movements - just run an old Litchi WP mission with interpolated gimbal and yaw movements. Then compare the Mavic version with the Phantom version and then, let's talk again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor