Worth buying P3 now?

I bought at $399 mid-December on Amazon, Wal-Mart had them at $499 same time. Poke around, you'll probably find a deal. But add my vote to the go-for-P3S tally. It's an awesome bird, very stable, good range, eats wind for breakfast. If you want an intro to the hobby, it's perfect.

I bought an extra battery, but if you're on a budget, you wouldn't necessarily need to. The flight time is plenty to get acquainted, especially when it's cold out, and you can't wear a glove on your smart-phone hand. (I either need to get some of those tablet gloves or a stylus...).

I would save up just a little more and get an Advanced. You'll like the range! $643.00 free shipping for me 3 months ago. Scouring the net last night I saw a few for around $620.

As an owner of phantom standard I would have to agree. After adding a DBS, amps and power supply to my RC I could have bought the advanced close to the same price. But I wouldn't have had all that fun doing the modifications. Now my craft does about the same range as the advanced.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Or do what I did, buy the Advanced then go for even more distance and add the maxxrange, lol. Can't ever get enough distance.

Rule 1 with anything at all which is technology based:

Whatever you buy today, will be cheaper and better tomorrow. You could hold off forever and never buy!

Life is too short!
Buy a 3, enjoy the cheap price, and go out and enjoy it, then maybe when you find that it really isn't enough consider the upgrade. Personally, my P3-4K is fabulous, and I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to risk doing very much more anyway with a P4 so what's the point? It would just be risking more money.
Remember also that you can now pick up a P3 for waaaay less then you could buy a P2 not very long ago!
One of my sons bought a P2 early on for $1200 (Australia), then upgraded to a P3-4K for A$799, at the same time I bought, which is of course dramatically better. However he's still happy he bought the original P2 as he says he would have missed a lot of really spectacular holiday memories on video had he not bought the original drone.

Cheers
PS Yes, about the only thing I'd like is a bit more range!

I missed the $399 sale from DJI website and immediately the price shoot up to $499 in Best buy, Fry's Electronics and everywhere in between. I ended up ordering the P3Std refurbished from DJI website for $359.
But they said it will take 3 weeks to initiate delivery. So I have enough time to go to hibernation and learn some aeronautical engineering meanwhile.. :D:p

I ordered a refurb yesterday. I was a little nervous ordering a refurb. Has your worked okay and how long did it to you to get it. They are saying mine will be about a month.

I just ordered a refub today and got same time frame...even tho I was not assured that I will get it at all, the customer care person said check back with us if you don't see any progress in tracking after 3 weeks. bummer!! :eek::confused:

I have the P3S as my first drone, recently purchased, is a great drone, would highly recommend

I bought mine on Amazon for $399. Spare original battery from EBay for $121, Multi battery charger on EBay for $49, and hard shell backpack case on EBay for $39. All free shipping. Now all I need is some decent weather :(

I've just ordered the P3S, I've got the P2 here without camera & gimbal, I wanted to upgrade, it wasn't worth it, P3A can be had for £399 in the UK & the P2 sells over £200 second hand.
I agree that the P3A isn't great value neither the P3P you may as well go the whole hog & get a P4.
I had this choice & figured the P3S is the one for me at this time.

I missed the $399 sale from DJI website and immediately the price shoot up to $499 in Best buy, Fry's Electronics and everywhere in between. I ended up ordering the P3Std refurbished from DJI website for $359.
But they said it will take 3 weeks to initiate delivery. So I have enough time to go to hibernation and learn some aeronautical engineering meanwhile.. :D:p

If I had realized the $399 was a sale I probably would have done that over the refurb option. I thought the price had just dropped to $399.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have 2 P3-S, and 1 P4, I fly my P3-S more often just because every instance does not require a 4K camera, and in case of a problem, (which I have had none) I may lose a $400. drone as opposed to a $1000. drone.
I highly recommend the Phantom 3 Standard as a first drone.

Looks like the P3S is going to remain the "entry" level and only P3.. Smart move by DJI to keep a low cost option in the mix.

If I had realized the $399 was a sale I probably would have done that over the refurb option. I thought the price had just dropped to $399.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

same here... didn't think they will actually move the price up after the sale period... so had no other choice but to get the refurb... just for $40 I would have preferred a new one at any time... but now $499 is too much.. let me know how's your product..

I ordered a refurb yesterday. I was a little nervous ordering a refurb. Has your worked okay and how long did it to you to get it. They are saying mine will be about a month.
Sorry for the late reply. So far, I have no complaints with mine, everything seems to work well. As for delivery times, I ordered mine on Nov 4th, was shipped (from Austell, GA, according to FedEx) on Nov 8th and was delivered (San Diego) on Nov 11th.

Reactions: upintheair
The P3S is indeed a no-brainer when it's on sale as previously mentioned. I paid $399 on black Friday and it got lost (nice) so I didn't get it til Dec. 23rd.

Bone stock out of the box it is quite impressive. I've been flying drones for a few years but those were Quanum Novas with upgraded APM and GPS and I really thought they were good drones. They simply don't compare to DJI. The software is well thought out as is the hardware controller, It's really the total experience that makes it such a nice product. From the Intelligent Battery to the phone/tablet interface to the camera and gimbal, it's an amazing machine for the money. Even at $499 I'd say it's a deal. If I had known they were as good as they are I would bought one last year.

I wasn't big on getting a Phantom mainly because of the price of DJI batteries and a lack of parts which was just the opposite of flying APM quads. I have bought two other P3 batteries and both are clones but seem to work perfectly. I'm still getting used to the remote and phone interface, love it!

The P3S is indeed a no-brainer when it's on sale as previously mentioned. I paid $399 on black Friday and it got lost (nice) so I didn't get it til Dec. 23rd.

Bone stock out of the box it is quite impressive. I've been flying drones for a few years but those were Quanum Novas with upgraded APM and GPS and I really thought they were good drones. They simply don't compare to DJI. The software is well thought out as is the hardware controller, It's really the total experience that makes it such a nice product. From the Intelligent Battery to the phone/tablet interface to the camera and gimbal, it's an amazing machine for the money. Even at $499 I'd say it's a deal. If I had known they were as good as they are I would bought one last year.

I wasn't big on getting a Phantom mainly because of the price of DJI batteries and a lack of parts which was just the opposite of flying APM quads. I have bought two other P3 batteries and both are clones but seem to work perfectly. I'm still getting used to the remote and phone interface, love it!

Yes, I have three "clone" batteries from banggood.com and absolutely can't fault them, highly recommended.

Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl