Worth buying P3 now?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to get a new P3 standard as my first drone. This is beginning of 2017, so is it worth to get P3 Std at this point as already many upgraded versions are out in the market? I don't know if price of P4 will come down to sub $500 in near future. So not sure if shall I wait or just go for P3.

Thanks.

I don't know if price of P4 will come down to sub $500 in near future.
I doubt it. The P3S still sells for close to $500 now when it's not on sale.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Thanks for the suggestions actually I have to strict to the budget of $400-$500, so found P3S suitable for me as a beginner!
:)

If tariffs kick in as threatened they'll cost us more. Buy sooner than later.

Hi,

I am planning to get a new P3 standard as my first drone. This is beginning of 2017, so is it worth to get P3 Std at this point as already many upgraded versions are out in the market? I don't know if price of P4 will come down to sub $500 in near future. So not sure if shall I wait or just go for P3.

Thanks.
I too was on the fence about getting a 3 or the 4 for an extra $500. As a first time drone and RC aircraft owner, I can tell you I am extremely happy with my choice in the P3. I find it's more than enough drone for me. I get nervous flying it even out at 1200 feet and in sight. Once I get the handle of it and feel like I need more I will upgrade. I thought of it this way: would I rather screw up and wreck a $400 drone and be able to replace it or wreck a $900+ drone and have to wait months to afford another. Hope this helps.

I too was on the fence about getting a 3 or the 4 for an extra $500. As a first time drone and RC aircraft owner, I can tell you I am extremely happy with my choice in the P3. I find it's more than enough drone for me. I get nervous flying it even out at 1200 feet and in sight. Once I get the handle of it and feel like I need more I will upgrade. I thought of it this way: would I rather screw up and wreck a $400 drone and be able to replace it or wreck a $900+ drone and have to wait months to afford another. Hope this helps.

Absolutely, I agree with you.. screwing a $1000 will probably give me a mild heart attack. Getting something around $400 to start with will put me in an ease. Just that I don't want to spend more than $450 at this point and will be sad if I see P4 came down to $450 after one month ;).
I will mostly use it for recreational flying once in a while. I still have to figure out where else in southern Cali I can fly as a novice other than the beaches without being red eyed by any one.

My brother purchased mine at Best Buy in L.A. for $399 last week. I picked it up at a Best Buy store here in Wisconsin. The P3S is a great bird!

GW

Absolutely, I agree with you.. screwing a $1000 will probably give me a mild heart attack. Getting something around $400 to start with will put me in an ease. Just that I don't want to spend more than $450 at this point and will be sad if I see P4 came down to $450 after one month ;).
I will mostly use it for recreational flying once in a while. I still have to figure out where else in southern Cali I can fly as a novice other than the beaches without being red eyed by any one.
Most big box retailer like Target (where I got mine) or Best Buy will refund money back to you if the price changes within 14 days of purchase. So if you want/need to hold it you probably shouldn't worry too much unless you can wait months. Once I read and started seeing videos I couldn't wait any longer. Haha.

Reactions: upintheair
Also, regarding where to fly, I try not to fly over/around people's houses. Even flying in the football field-sized neighborhood park had one of my neighbors nervous. He was nice about and I just told him I'd find a big park to fly it. So look for regional parks in the boonies, if you drive that far, or larger parks in The city with wide open spaces. I think until the paranoia calms down and people get used to drones it's best to just err on the side of caution and not overfly people's houses or around residential neighborhoods. Even at the state beach, I asked the Park Ranger about flying and he was on the fence but once I explained to him what I was doing and the built in safety features he was happy to let me fly it in the less frequented parts of the beach. Just be a good neighbor. Personally I wouldn't want a drone flying over my house either. :)

Reactions: upintheair
I doubt it. The P3S still sells for close to $500 now when it's not on sale.
The DJI store has them for $399 right now.

Also, regarding where to fly, I try not to fly over/around people's houses. Even flying in the football field-sized neighborhood park had one of my neighbors nervous. He was nice about and I just told him I'd find a big park to fly it. So look for regional parks in the boonies, if you drive that far, or larger parks in The city with wide open spaces. I think until the paranoia calms down and people get used to drones it's best to just err on the side of caution and not overfly people's houses or around residential neighborhoods. Even at the state beach, I asked the Park Ranger about flying and he was on the fence but once I explained to him what I was doing and the built in safety features he was happy to let me fly it in the less frequented parts of the beach. Just be a good neighbor. Personally I wouldn't want a drone flying over my house either. :)

Living in Long Beach area, El dorado park has an electric flying field started off there with slow sticks, bi-planes, war planes, 4ch and 6 ch heilos and now upgrading to a P3 to take there....

Reactions: Shadow P3
As with most technologies (computers, cameras, phones and TVs, to name a few), waiting will always give you something better for less money. Eventually, a drone similar to the current P4 will cost less than $500, but if you follow this logic, you will never buy anything as there will ALWAYS be somehing better around the corner.

I bought my P3S refurbished from DJI for $359, shipping and taxes included, then added a second battery for $100, a case for $25 (!!) and various accessories (landing gear brace, windsurfer, lanyard, tablet mount, etc). It's a good setup which allows me to learn a lot without breaking the bank.

Purchased my P3 Standard right after Christmas for 399 at Best Buy. Have flown it about 5 times and I love it. It's been awesome so far and really fun to fly. Go get one!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just cancelled my order from DJI (still had 10 days to shipping) and ordered this one (must have gotten one the last ones as they are now sold out).

Last edited:
I bought my drone back during the black friday sale that DJI had, i paid 400 for it. Although, I had to wait about 10 to 15 days before it shipped, due to influx of holiday sales. But it has been definitely the best bang for your buck drone sold by DJI. I would definitely recommend for a beginner like myself.

Reactions: Shadow P3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1