Wobbly Landing

Reaction score
I have not had an opportunity to do much flying lately. Today I took the P4 out for a quick flight and noticed that the landing was not real smooth. I calibrated the IMU earlier. Everything else looks fine. The take off and the flight was perfect but when the P4 got close to the ground I noticed a little instability. When I landed the landing gear was on the ground and it wobbled slightly until the the motors shut off.

I have many flights with my P3P and have never seen this before.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

VPS on or off? I know I have had issues on some surfaces with the VPS on!

I don't hand catch at all - not worth the risk IMO - I find the landing gear just not all that stable when landing anywhere other than a nice flat surface, and I don't want to drag a piece of board or whatever for takeoffs or landings around with me.

I strapped a couple of pieces of foam (split stuff that is used to insulate copper piping with) on to the landing gear feet and have nothing but nice steady and firm landings on any surface. Doesn't seem to have affected my flight time and handling seems just fine when flying. In fact I noticed the legs/feet seem a bit stiffer with the stuff strapped on to it.

I don't hand catch at all - not worth the risk IMO - I find the landing gear just not all that stable when landing anywhere other than a nice flat surface, and I don't want to drag a piece of board or whatever for takeoffs or landings around with me.

I strapped a couple of pieces of foam (split stuff that is used to insulate copper piping with) on to the landing gear feet and have nothing but nice steady and firm landings on any surface. Doesn't seem to have affected my flight time and handling seems just fine when flying. In fact I noticed the legs/feet seem a bit stiffer with the stuff strapped on to it.
Thanks for the response. VPS was on. Rock solid until I got to about 1' above the round and even then not real bad. When it actually touched the concrete sidewalk is when I noticed it.

Did you mean to say you only hand catch?

I take off and land on a real thick heavy rubber mat. I was getting unstable landings on my P 3. The mat was solid black and felt if it had a pattern on it that would help. I ran painters tape 1" wide in different angles on the mat. That helped alot. My p4 lands perfectly on the mat.

I ALWAYS hand catch. Much safer on rough ground or windy conditions. Or on a sandy beach.
I honestly can't see how on earth anyone could hurt themselves hand catching.

Mine does the same thing. I always catch it before ground landing. I notice it when the ground is a little uneven and one part of the copter touches first.

I haven't had any significant issues. I ease it down until it's just above the surface then full down left stick until the motors shut off.

For some reason the P4 isn't a stable lander especially when you go to cut the motors using throttle straight down. The Pahntom 3 motors cut off without a wobble. I have noticed this almost everytime I've landed and throttle all the way down the P4 gets ever so slightly tipsy and light on one side or the other. It's not me. I've landed my P3's probably 250+ times, I don't hand catch. This is a P4 deal.

Learn to hand catch. There are videos on YouTube to show you how. I have only landed it once on my maiden flight with my old P3.
Seriously, you'll never go back to landing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No wobbly landings for one.

I fly a lot over uneven ground and snow. Impossible to land.

I regularly hand launch also.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hahaha, I play a Yamaha Motif XF8 and sure as hell won't be hand catching anything, with rotor blades spinning. I have no time for any Accidental forgiveness.
I don't play well, that way.

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl