Wind Vortex When Landing

Reaction score
Years before DJI came out with their Drones, my younger brother, Jim, was a Cobra Helicopter Pilot in Korea and dam good one. When in Hawaii I was able to go with him to the Armies training center for pilots and we got to fly around in a Huey. This was not my first time flying in a Huey, I had done it many times in Vietnam and then again when I worked offshore and flew out of Grand Isle in Louisiana with PHI helicopters.

Flying in helicopters is much like trying to fly a Phantom, but alot easier in the Phantom. But the Science behind both is undeniable and can not be changed. My brother Jim, explained to me that helicopters have very limited time based upon the height of the Hover. The closer to the ground, the less time they have to hover because of the Wind Vortex (AIR CIRCULATION) that the rotors create. Simply put, the rotors, suck down air from above them and need fresh air coming in from above to maintain a stable hover. But what happens is that the wind becomes very circular and the more the Cobra or Phantom stays in one place or position, the circulating air that comes out of the bottom goes around in a circular motion and comes back in at the top. So these vehicles get caught in the Wind Vortex and is downward in nature, so it drops.

Give it a try, hover your phantom at a foot or two off the ground and see how long it will stay perfectly still, it will begin to move one way or another or take a hard landing. So the best thing to remember is to stay moving, even if very slowly when landing. Hope this helps those having trouble landing manually.

Reactions: yorlik
Years before DJI came out with their Drones, my younger brother, Jim, was a Cobra Helicopter Pilot in Korea and dam good one. When in Hawaii I was able to go with him to the Armies training center for pilots and we got to fly around in a Huey. This was not my first time flying in a Huey, I had done it many times in Vietnam and then again when I worked offshore and flew out of Grand Isle in Louisiana with PHI helicopters.

Flying in helicopters is much like trying to fly a Phantom, but alot easier in the Phantom. But the Science behind both is undeniable and can not be changed. My brother Jim, explained to me that helicopters have very limited time based upon the height of the Hover. The closer to the ground, the less time they have to hover because of the Wind Vortex (AIR CIRCULATION) that the rotors create. Simply put, the rotors, suck down air from above them and need fresh air coming in from above to maintain a stable hover. But what happens is that the wind becomes very circular and the more the Cobra or Phantom stays in one place or position, the circulating air that comes out of the bottom goes around in a circular motion and comes back in at the top. So these vehicles get caught in the Wind Vortex and is downward in nature, so it drops.

Give it a try, hover your phantom at a foot or two off the ground and see how long it will stay perfectly still, it will begin to move one way or another or take a hard landing. So the best thing to remember is to stay moving, even if very slowly when landing. Hope this helps those having trouble landing manually.

Also known as vortex ring state which is a condition that can be caused not only hovering close to the ground but also when descending straight down to quickly.

Also known as vortex ring state which is a condition that can be caused not only hovering close to the ground but also when descending straight down to quickly.
^^ exactly what Jason said + prop guards can also generate VRS in a cross wind... Been there, done that.

Jason, Thanks for putting the specific scientific label on this. My brother failed to be that specific. The training center was actually the virtual reality center for Huey's and Blackhawks in Hawaii, to bad we did not get to use the Blackhawk simulator as it was state of the art at that time, 1991 or 2.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl