Wifi module gets hot

Reaction score
Purchased a Phantom 3 standard second hand only to find that the Transmitter (controller) loses connection intermittently with the Heli, I have tried the latest firmware and it will lose connection when right next to the Heli. I can however still control all heli functions and the camera gimble motors however I can not see the camera in the app nor any data. I have checked a few things and noticed that the Wifi module gets quiet hot. Is this normal? I have ordered a new gimble cable hoping there is some sort of feedback occuring which is causing the board to overheat. I have also noticed that if I leave the heli for an hour or so that I have a stable connection for 5mins but trying to reconnect after this it seems to last less and less time. I have also been able to reestablish comms by disconnecting the wifi module from the heli via the white plug at the top of the unit, leaving it off a few secs and then reconnecting. Does this sound like something someone has seen? I am suspecting the gimble cable or the Wifi module.

Thanks
Doug

Are you testing this at home? If you are the standard is more then likely getting mixed signals with the home wifi. You need to test it out in an open space preferred with no nearby houses

Are you testing this at home? If you are the standard is more then likely getting mixed signals with the home wifi. You need to test it out in an open space preferred with no nearby houses

I have turned all wifi off around the house so should be ok. Next door neighbour has one and does not have the issue.

Hmmm.... Ok.. Have you gone for a test flight yet? Try that and let us know and we will go from there to work out what the problem could be.

Hmmm.... Ok.. Have you gone for a test flight yet? Try that and let us know and we will go from there to work out what the problem could be.
Yep done a test flight. Managed a full flight and the landed and lost connection on landing. Tried to take off again manual control and no problem P3S holds position even when not connected to 2.4Ghz ( no app data or camera) but I can control the gimble camera and it seems the camera is recording in this condition as well.

To be honest I'm not 100% on P3S. I did have one but after a few weeks I took it back and got the advanced as I was getting lots of lost video feed (but can still control the drone) hopefully someone on here can advise you like @msinger

cuda, why don't you just send this back to the seller? Or, did you buy it knowing it was not going to work properly out of the box?

I got a phantom three 4K my receiver does not have a USB plug-in I'm putting a range extender on it and I thought it was a professional receiver when I opened it up there's a silver box that the antenna wires hooked to. And the kit I bought is a FVPLr range extender not sure what receiver I have please help

cuda, why don't you just send this back to the seller? Or, did you buy it knowing it was not going to work properly out of the box?
I new it had an issue but figured I would sort it myself.

If anybody has opened up a radio on a phantom three and it has the silver box on the bottom right corner where the antennas hook to could you let me know which receiver I have is it a professional advanced Standard that's my question thank you

S
If anybody has opened up a radio on a phantom three and it has the silver box on the bottom right corner where the antennas hook to could you let me know which receiver I have is it a professional advanced Standard that's my question thank you
Standard from my understanding has 1 visible antenna and one power switch whereas the advanced and pro have two antenna and 2 push buttons. The Phantom standard 2.4Ghz module (metal cage is located slightly below the middle on the left) of the controller.

Last edited:
Yep done a test flight. Managed a full flight and the landed and lost connection on landing. Tried to take off again manual control and no problem P3S holds position even when not connected to 2.4Ghz ( no app data or camera) but I can control the gimble camera and it seems the camera is recording in this condition as well.

Cuda did you ever get this sorted out? I'm having the same issue.

Where is the wifi board located on the phantom 3 standard? Is it in the transmitter or in the aircraft?

Cuda did you ever get this sorted out? I'm having the same issue.

I did get what I thought was the correct board but its the board inside the remote control unit (Wifi download link module). I spoke with DJI parts people and you can only get the board I was after by purchasing the camera assy and gimble as 1 unit. So I decided to scrap the idea and purchase another brand new P3S.

I was able to confirm it was the board that is mounted on the white shock absorbers though. Tried a friends board and it resolved the issue.

The gimball board is bad. This is where the wifi chips are located. Mine will connect for about two minutes then disconnect. Try to reconnect and it disconnects even quicker, eventually disconnects before the app can even start. I sprayed freeze spray through the openings on the gimbal and it would stay connected as long as I kept it cool. Stopped spraying it would warm itself up and disconnect. Mine started acting up after what I thought was a minor crash. The landing gear caught the waters edge near the shore line and flipped upside down on the wet grass. Powered down immediately and let it dry for a couple of days. Disconnect problems started. Did a tear down and found no issues with cables or signs of water infiltration. I had prior to the bad landing occasional disconnects while flying and thought it was interference or compass cal problems. I am going to try to reflow the the chips on the board. I believe it could be bad solder connections. It will take some time to reflow the BGA parts, but the board is no good anyway. For the rest of you, I recommend ordering a replacement board.

The gimball board is bad. This is where the wifi chips are located.

Hello Steve:

How Wifi chips are located in gimball if Phantom 3 Standard can fly without gimball???...

Inside in ESC (main board) P3S have an WIFI module with an armor, and in this module is connected 2 antenna cables.

Please, can you specify more about Wifi chips of gimball and internal RF module function?. I thought that RC controller connects with internal module.

Thanks!.

The wifi is for video and telemetry information. It uses 2.4Ghz for transmit and receive of data. The receiver to actually fly the aircraft is in the main body. That is the shielded section you see. The aircraft receives the flight control on 5.4Ghz. This is the datasheet that is very similar to the wifi IC in the gimbal. The IC used is an AR9342.

Attachments

• ar9331_datasheet.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 228
The wifi is for video and telemetry information. It uses 2.4Ghz for transmit and receive of data. The receiver to actually fly the aircraft is in the main body.

... Then you don't need the Gimball working or connected to linik the RC to aircraft?.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl