Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Why did this crash happen.

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by Wildernessmedic, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Wildernessmedic

Still regretting buying this thing. Why did this happen. Everything was fine then all of a sudden it just spazed out and came tumbling down.

Also, where can I buy new sets of bolts that hold the Zenmuse gimbal on....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bQWBDc ... e=youtu.be

2. freyjoel

I'd guess rotorwash. Descending too fast straight down. I also have a feeling that prop guards worsen the effect.

3. dentedk

Gravity! LOL sorry...I had to! :p

4. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Vortex ring state. You effectively stalled by descending too quickly. The Phantom may look like it is plug and play but it requires some understanding of what it's all about. If you spend some time here on this site, you will learn about things like VRS that can catch you out.

5. Wildernessmedic

FreyJoel did you just post that from the Facebook page as well?

I believe you and get prop wash, but I barely was coming down when it started falling. I knew better than to hammer it straight down.

6. tonydotigr

At least it didn't get stuck in the tree...

7. DesertFlyer53

I have found that it doesn't take a very fast decent to upset the rotors. Especially if you have little or no horizontal movement. If your Phantom is close and low enough, you can hear to rotor speeds changing rapidly as the autopilot tries to compensate for the attitude upset (I heard the same rotor sound in your video). That's the first sign to ease up the decent!

8. Wildernessmedic

Man I normally go so slow. I already get annoyed with how slow I descend, and now I have to ease up more! If I give it some horizontal throttle while descending how much can I speed it up?

9. bobomet

If you ever get the chance, watch the way real helicopter pilots descend and land.
    They constantly Yaw and Roll, moving forward, backward .... everything possible to stay out of the vortex until they touch down.
    I try to do this too, and so far have had no issues.

10. OI Photography

If you applied enough "side" motion in any of the 4 directions to end up descending on a 30-40 deg angle, you should be able to come down with the same amount of throttle input (decrease) you tried to in this video. The descent speed you started out before the turbulence set it was a bit too fast, and the prop guards will cause that effect to kick in even sooner than without them, due to the fact they reduce the effective amount of lift to begin with (even before your rotor wash on descent robs you of even more).

11. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

The faster you move horizontally, the faster you can descend without encountering your own prop wash. Be sure to factor for wind as well.

12. Wildernessmedic

K thanks. Should I ditch the prop guards? They cause less lift, more weight etc, and so far they haven't saved any blades for me...

And hey, how's life in Clarksville? I was stationed there at Campbell a few years ago...