Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Why did RTH take so long to kick in?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by jonebk12, Mar 13, 2016.

1. jonebk12

Had a scary moment with my relatively new P3A flying in the mountains yesterday. About 1800 feet out, I suddenly lost signal (I think the terrain became an issue at that distance) - no video, nothing. So I just sit there for what feels like an eternity, hoping the hear my bird buzzing back to me. I didn't push the RTH button at first for fear that I would inadvertently cancel RTH if the quad was already on its way back. However, after what turned out to be a two full minutes, I finally hit RTH on the controller and signal was quickly reestablished as it flew back to me. My first thought was that maybe I had actually only lost video, but that the RC still had a connection to the quad, hence no failsafe RTH. However, when I checked out the log today, it appears RTH had self-activated about 4 seconds before I hit the button on the controller? Am I interpreting the log correctly? If so, why did the quad hover there for two full minutes without signal before deciding to fly home?

I'm glad there was a happy ending, but I'd like to figure out exactly what happened and would appreciate some help from the experienced pilots on here. Thanks!

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Please upload your flight log here and post a link back here.

3. jonebk12

Phantom 3 Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com Thanks! Looks like it definitely started home before I hit the RTH button. Still don't understand why it took so long to auto-initiate after losing signal. That's a bit concerning.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

When it shows "Downlink Lost" in your log, that means your Phantom was no longer transmitting the video connection. It was still connected to your remote controller though. Since you gave it no stick commands, it just hovered waiting for your next command. RTH will not be auto initiated until the remote controller connection is lost.

5. ferraript

yeah, I agree with msinger, Phantom was just hovering at the same place
    next time you should check the LED on the RC, while it's green, there is connection between the Phantom and the RC

6. jonebk12

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I swear though that I looked at the controller LED and it was red during this period.

7. kenjaco2

I fly "out of sight " often. Because of where I live, not much choice, anyway as soon as I lose contact of any sort I hit RTH on the controller and there she comes. Always worked so far, hundred times.