Who uses tablet or Ipad as view screen?

I use the 9,7” iPad pro (128GB WiFi + Cellurar) in combination with Litchi. I like the more bright screen (in comp. with. Air 1/2) and power.
But, I need to say, I use my iPad not only for flying - it is the device i prefer for most of the other things (web, social, photo planning (PhotoPills app is great), etc). Though, photo and video editing I do on Mac (late 2013 MBPro 15”).
The point here is (subjectivelly, ofc), that if iPad weren’t my prefered device for many tasks, I wouldn’t consider a such expensive model for flying only.
Historically, I upgraded once per three models (iPad 2>iPad Air>iPad pro 9,7”, and, obvious, some new iPad around spring 2019 or, if very appealing, autumn 2018.)
As a freelance tech journalist (my main work is tied with Apple’s products), I tested a lot of devices, but, in case of Tablet choice, there’s little rational behind non - iOS because of by far better Tablet-optimized-Application avaibility than for Android. And the prices for top of the tier Android Tablets are quite high, even higher than for comparable iPad.
(in phone world, i recognize, that top of the line Android phones aren’t bad at all).
I prefer Tablet (i have an iPhone, too) mainly because of bigger screen.

Long story:
Started off with a Sony Xperia Z1 phone, before realising that many phones don't work. It was fine, but too small and dim so after researching on here (msinger's list mentioned above) I bought an iPad mini2. Just big enough, but still a bit dim (we get a lot of sun here in the Algarve) so eventually plumped for a Samsung Tab S2. Cannot fault it- perfect size, really bright screen and touch wood, no issues. I don't use it for much else; the iPad has been relegated to Facetime duties!

8" Galaxy Tab 4 here for Go and Go4 (P3S and Spark). Of everything I've tried so far, its been the smoothest, fastest to reconnect, etc (less disconnects too). I managed to get GO working pretty well for the P3S on a 10.1" Tab 4 as well, but the added screen size tends to lag more than the 8" version. Both of these on Lollipop btw.

Phone wise, I also had luck with a Galaxy Amp Prime (GO only) Amp Prime2 (GO and GO 4) and Galaxy S4 (GO and GO 4). Note, I'm sideloading older versions that I know will work, avoiding upgrades like the plague! GO v3.1.11 and GO4 v4.1.10 keeps me flying. Thank goodness for legacy apk storage sites!

Last edited:
After lots of frustration with a Samsung galaxy tab a, I switched to an iPad mini. No problems since

I started with an iPad Air, but have since upgraded to the iPad Mini 4 WiFi + Cellular. I find the new device to be less strain on the holder, while of course being less bulky also.

iPad Air 2 wifi cellular. Absolutely no problems with P3P and Mavic. I too have switched to IOS after a lifetime of Windows/MS/Android. IOS platform much more stable. The higher cost is offset by longevity.

I use a NVIDIA Shield K1 with a P3P and it works great!

Oh, and when I bought my iPad without cellular I didn't realize that the "follow me" function would then not work. But it's not a function that's useful to me, generally, and I don't wanna pay AT&T anymore than I do now already.

Having used an iPhone, iPad, P4P+, and a P4P with an Epson BT-300, I must admit that while the set-up is a bit longer, the BT-300 gives me the best visibility (e.g. no sun glare) while also letting me track the P4P with a direct VLOS. Moving from looking at the display to looking just over the display is almost immediate so there is no chance to loose the visual contact and then try to find it again. I believe the price is coming down now.

I use an ipad mini4 Wi-Fi for iOS apps and a nexus 7 2013 for android apps...both work great but while the iPad has a bigger display and is slightly brighter, it overheats much faster than the nexus so using it in the summers here(100°+ heat) is impossible without using some sort of cooler(I built a custom one out of phone coolers to remedy that as I couldnt justify $200 for an x-naut). I've heard that the ipad pros dont have that problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT