Whistling noise

HMMM I do have that on my P34K could be why that dog was hanging around me when I was directly overhead. Good to know

Mine does the exact same thing and it is definitely normal. When I first got it when they first came out I thought something was wrong also. I even have a video here from like 2 years ago with exact same noise. No problems since and I have hundreds of flights.

Reactions: N017RW
Mine does the exact same thing and it is definitely normal.
LOL....Read the thread...it most certainly is NOT "normal". DJI is the only one with the whistle. Change the motor and the whistle is gone. How do you say the whistle is "normal" then?

There is no fix due to no problem in existance
Didn't read the thread, didja???? The fix is (in my case) a bad motor. I've already proved it. You like that annoying sound then feel free to continue and thinking nothing is wrong.

I have the whistle on my P4Pro. I see a lot of people here saying it's normal and others who say it's not but what I don't see is anyone saying that they had a whistling motor fail in mid-flight. Has this happened to anyone here? I have had a propeller pop off in flight so I know what a motor failure looks like, in case you're wondering. The three remaining motors manage to keep the aircraft upright but wobbling and it descends quickly but not disastrously fast. It was a relief to know that it doesn't simply tumble out of the sky.

I'm not aware of any whistling motor failure. The whole thing behind it all is that the whistling is annoying af. I've never alluded to nor stated that the motor will fail, though I'm certain that isn't out of the realm of possibility. No, just the bad or misaligned, bearing makes a nasty whistle sound. It is a personal preference thing. If you don't mind the noise, then that's great. But, if you are annoyed by the consistent metallic whistling, then replace the motor(s). My P3S stopped whistling after the motor replacement and now sounds correct just like all the other quads...prop noise only.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicdoom
I have the p3 standard which I bought in April I fly it all the time and I have that same whistling noise and many other people I know have it. For me it is not an issue I have flown close to 120 hours with it and no issues.

Reactions: Squirrel!
It's a fact that some RC motor bearings are noisier than others. It's possible that DJI motors are on average more on the noisy side, but unless a motor is really screaming or getting hot or difficult to turn, it does NOT mean that failure is imminent. A bit annoying, yes, but nothing more. My approach is that unless something is obviously wrong (as in one motor behaving differently than the others), there is not need to act. And if I have to act, my first action would be a drop of oil. Failing that, I'd replace the motor (as said, I believe replacing the bearing in the new P3S motors is quite a challenge).

Reactions: epicdoom
I do have a 2312A motor I can take apart, but I did find this video only difference I can see as far as bearings go is the top bearing is smaller diameter on the 2312A he has both motors disassembled on the bench at the end of the video to compare, but only shows disassembly of the old 2312.( larger top bearing) Disassembly of the 2312A would be the same process looking at my old motors. Remove retaining clip press or drive out center shaft which is attached to the motors top bell. I'd personally press it out because I have a press, but if you take your time and be careful you can drive them out with a few taps. From his video it looks exactly how I expected the bearings to come out Pretty easy IMO. If I were only lubing them then no reason to take them out, put a drop of light machine oil on the shield next to the inner race and spin the bearing it will wick its way in. If I take them out though it would only be to replace then with new bearings like BOCA's

With that said its less work to just buy new ones if you plan on changing the bearings out, however you never know if your gonna get another whistler so if I felt it were a bearing Issue causing the noise I wouldn't chance getting more whistlers I'd pull all 4 motors out disassemble them and install BOCA bearings and be done with it.

It's a fact that some RC motor bearings are noisier than others. It's possible that DJI motors are on average more on the noisy side, but unless a motor is really screaming or getting hot or difficult to turn, it does NOT mean that failure is imminent. A bit annoying, yes, but nothing more. My approach is that unless something is obviously wrong (as in one motor behaving differently than the others), there is not need to act. And if I have to act, my first action would be a drop of oil. Failing that, I'd replace the motor (as said, I believe replacing the bearing in the new P3S motors is quite a challenge).
I agree with all of this except the bearing removal if your mechanically challenged then I agree with that also

To me an important fact was the noise was a change from the previous operation, how important a change is what I guess the question is.

LOL that's how it works don't believe me take your car to a mechanic for a noise soon as the mechanic is near the vehicle Noise goes away. Its a fact of life LOL anyhow hope all is well and you get some flight time

Reactions: Squirrel!
I agree with all of this except the bearing removal if your mechanically challenged then I agree with that also

From everything I read, 2312A motors require a press to be opened, as you basically have to push the shaft out of the bell, as in the photo below

[EDIT: the photo is actually of a 2312, not 2312A, thanks to @epicdoom for pointing that out]:

Anyways, I absolutely agree with you: if you can/want to open the motor, that's of course a possibility. Put good quality bearings in it and it will probably last forever.

Attachments

• DJI 2312.jpg
    DJI 2312.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
From everything I read, 2312A motors require a press to be opened, as you basically have to push the shaft out of the bell, as in the photo below:

View attachment 88375

Anyways, I absolutely agree with you: if you can/want to open the motor, that's of course a possibility. Put good quality bearings in it and it will probably last forever.
that was on the 2312 old motor the new 2312A doesn't have the shaft the prop screws direct into the threads cut into the top bell
20170918_174033.jpg

My bad, you're right, that was an old 2312. But the comment about 2312A being difficult to open is still valid, plenty of posts about that.

yeah like I said if your mechanically challenged you may have trouble for me its straight forward very simple ...Remove clip press out shaft/motor bell and its apart push out the bearings and your good. I can also rewind the motors, but I have been doing this stuff for more then 35 years on RC planes, Trucks and cars. I build 1/72 scale airplanes that are 2 channel RC flight on a home made 900mHz transmitter and receiver. and super micro Infer red IR transmitter and receivers all home made programming and all. I was working on the lightest RC plane in the world for some time and it required making brushless motors and actuators coils as servos some of the motors were nothing more then a couple tiny magnets glued to carbon fiber rod set into a coil of wire weight was in the Milligrams for the whole motor. Props made from soda cans, carbon fiber or balsa wood the 1/72 scale planes I was building weighed less then a sheet of notebook paper. I was beat out for the record by several others also in the quest one of which has become a very good friend from japan who ultimately holds the record or did for many years haven't kept up on that stuff since my grandson came along. 1/72 scale is between 4 and 6" wingspan for most of the WWII aircraft we building for RC flight.

I am and have been since the Marine corp a service tech for a heavy equipment co. so I have an extensive mechanical background as well as electronics and hydraulics systems.

LOL....Read the thread...it most certainly is NOT "normal". DJI is the only one with the whistle. Change the motor and the whistle is gone. How do you say the whistle is "normal" then?
When I brought to drone nerds and they checked it out and everything was fine. I have over 300 flights and not 1 problem with mine and it makes the whistle noise. It has been doing for well over a year. I know 7 people with the same p3s and they all make the same noise. So yeah its normal in my book.

Reactions: N017RW
I get this sound but only after some flying time, typically long high flying. I'd be interested to know if it's bearings and/or can we service the motors to keep them healthy?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart