Whistling noise

It sounds just like this. Nothing seems loose and I don't see any debris anywhere.
You have a bad motor. That was my issue in the video.

Reactions: Newbieguy
They won't replace it under warranty. I replaced it myself. eBay. some solder, some shrink boot, VOILA! Fixed. Read the comments in the video.

I wonder why the warranty wouldn't cover a bad motor? I guess it's time to look for a new motor on eBay.

I wonder why the warranty wouldn't cover a bad motor? I guess it's time to look for a new motor on eBay.
Because they don't consider the whistle to be a defect. Which it is as it is bad bearings. DJI customer service completely sucks in my opinion and is why I never utilized it and just fixed it myself. Now, Autel Robotics has fantastic customer service...in case you were wondering. ;)

I've ordered the motor from amazon. $21.00 free shipping It will arrive next week. It looks pretty straight forward. Im going to replace it myself. I appreciate the feedback.

Because they don't consider the whistle to be a defect. Which it is as it is bad bearings. DJI customer service completely sucks in my opinion and is why I never utilized it and just fixed it myself. Now, Autel Robotics has fantastic customer service...in case you were wondering. ;)

Did dji they tell you to keep flying? Man I'd hate to lose my bird over. $20.00 dollar part!!

I switched props. While on the ground at an idle I noticed one prop seemed to be moving at a slower rate of speed.
as I said earlier this could be an un level condition and the gyro compensating had the same thing on mine till I set it on a level surface
The main concern that I have is the noise didn't start until after 2.5 hours of flight time. I don't like new noises.
I get that Brother I also don't like new noises the best you can do with something like this that's not easy to troubleshoot is just keep an eye on it or ear to the condition to start sounding worse or for it to just go away.

I've ordered the motor from amazon. $21.00 free shipping It will arrive next week. It looks pretty straight forward. Im going to replace it myself. I appreciate the feedback.

I don't recall any of your previous comments to indicate you have narrowed down the problem to one specific motor... so why have you bought one? Which one are you going to repair??

Whistling is common with no known cause or associated failure mode. If one or more motors don't feel warmer than the others then it's not a bearing issue.
Bearings are the only wearing part and would cause elevated heat in the motor.
If it makes you feel better than throw money at it but with no heat issue save the old motor cause it's fine.

I don't recall any of your previous comments to indicate you have narrowed down the problem to one specific motor... so why have you bought one? Which one are you going to repair??

In post #1 I mentioned one motor was moving slower that the others while idling on the ground. That would be motor # 4.

Idling speed on the ground means nothing in terms of motor health.
Motor speed is determined by attitude. So that arm is likely a bit more elevated than the others.
If it flies fine and hovers in place with no elevated motor temp (as compared to its peers) it's all good.

Whistling is common with no known cause or associated failure mode. If one or more motors don't feel warmer than the others then it's not a bearing issue.
Bearings are the only wearing part and would cause elevated heat in the motor.
If it makes you feel better than throw money at it but with no heat issue save the old motor cause it's fine.
Wanna bet...

In post #1 I mentioned one motor was moving slower that the others while idling on the ground. That would be motor # 4.
Doesn't mean squat. Watch the video at the end when I shut the bird down...See the one motor stop first while the other 3 continue spinning. Tat IS NOT the bad motor. The bad motor is the one in the front on the right. ;)

You have to actually 'feel' the motor shaft while turning it. You'll feel the difference.

Wanna bet...

No. Betting is tantamount to gambling which is a game of chance.

My oldest is a P2-NV. Been whistling for years (May '14).
Still flying strong with all original parts except battery and props.

BUY a temp gun they are cheap. I own a raytek for work, but I bought this one for around the house compared it to my raytek and its very close around 2tenths of a degree difference which wont matter a bit here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019TRGYW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again on the slower motor issue Mine was doing that from day one. I was sitting it on my front walkway to launch it, I saw one of the props spinning slower then the others shut it down restarted same thing thought about it a second and figured out its the GYRO compensating for the drone not sitting level. Confirmed this by taking it to my yard moved my grill off of a perfectly leveled concrete Pad all props spun the same speed. do this fire up the drone. lift off to face height carefully reach in and grab it by the landing gear hold it rock it side to side you will feel the motors accelerating trying to compensate for the movement this is your Gyro its in effect from the moment you fire up the drone.

Fingers work just fine. This does not require any further expense to monitor and diagnose.

No. Betting is tantamount to gambling which is a game of chance.

My oldest is a P2-NV. Been whistling for years (May '14).
Still flying strong with all original parts except battery and props.
I never said it wouldn't fly, drop out of the sky, or any other such nonsense. The whistling is a defect in the DJI line of cheap motors used. The whistling is an annoyance, caused by defective bearings nothing else.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel