Which Model Controller?

Reaction score
I purchased my first Phantom and it didn't have a controller with it. It's a P330D and not my first drone, I bought a cheapo to learn flying first.

My question is what model transmitter will be the best for this unit? I bought it on eBay and it said it was equipped with an aftermarket 5.4 ghz FPV system. I'm not sure if that's still on the drone or not as my knowledge of DJI is lacking right now.

I'm looking at an SR6 and a DJ6. What is the difference between the two? And which would be best?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Welcome to club! Sounds like you have an FC40 not a P1. The FC40 needs a 5.8 ghz transmitter.

I looked at the link and can't tell from that. The model no. on my FC40 transmitter is PVT581. Maybe someone that knows more than myself can help. Don't believe that water proof claim!

SR 6 and DJ 6 are both 2.4 transmitters. SR 6 is the older model. If your P1 has two antenna's its the newer model I think. If it says P330D its an FC40 which is 5.8 ghz unless there has been major changes inside. Wait to hear from the vendor

Good advice on bout counts, thanks. I did some reading on the waterproofing before purchase and realized it's not worth much. Wanting to get a jump on ordering the transmitter but hopefully the vendor can point me in the right direction without me having to wait to receive it and open it up. Thanks again.

Let us know when you find out which transmitter you need...you are a member now!

I got a reply from the vendor. He said he was almost positive it was a 5.8 which leaves me as confused as before. I didn't get a model out of him so it may be safest to wait until I get it. I haven't seen any 5.8 transmitters for a p1. What would you suggest to use if it is a 5.8?

Can you use a p2 remote with a p1?

I'm pretty sure it's not a P 1 as well. That makes it an fc40 which makes it 5.8ghz. wait til the vendor confirms though. I understand you can bind a P2 Vision or P2 Vision + controller to an FC40 as they are both 5.8 ghz. You can't use a regular P2 controller as they are 2.4 ghz. Where Are you located by the way ?

B&H photo will have the controller you need either way. Make sure you check with DSLR PROS! its their baby!

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll look into that. Didn't know I could use P2 on P1 but if same frequency it makes sense.

I'm in ATL, GA.

B&H photo will have the controller you need either way. Make sure you check with DSLR PROS! its their baby!

+1 on that.

In fact they, DSLR-P, may have an OEM controller as they often replace with Futaba when possible and sell the OEM ones cheap.

P2 Vision ! Regular P2 is 2.4 ghz

Reactions: jad0001
I'll contact DSLR and report back with what they say. Interesting you say that about the Futaba as the previous owner used a Futaba with this drone and pointed me in that direction. I like to stay with OEM as much as possible though.

DSLR actually didn't carry the OEM controller that matched my quad. Turns out ok with as I was able to find a fair deal on eBay.

The rep at DSLR suggested that I purchase a new receiver for the quad to match the transmitter but hoping I don't have to do that. It appears there are two antennas coming down from the pics in the ad but I don't know if one is for the gimbal or not...

this is what the antennas look like. Don't forget about the gimbal. You need a control on the transmitter for that. It looks like you have a Tarot 2 axis gimbal. There is soldering involved in changing the receiver and you may not be able to find the right one. I would stay with what you have. This is just the next rung on the ladder. download the manual, read it 3 times! download the dji assistant, download the driver, download the RC assistant. There Is a steep learning curve!

Attachments

• Old_Rx.jpg
    Old_Rx.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 1,040
Sherpa, thank you very much for your help in this as I am a novice when it comes to quads. I don't mind soldering but would like to stay away from that for the time being.

The quad did come with the Tarot 2 axis, is there an aftermarket switch I'll need for the transmitter or will I need to purchase a tx with the switch on it?

I'll certainly read the manual as I learned there is great value to them while learning how to rebuild 2 stroke engines lol.

Any other downloads or first-timer things I should know about please don't hesitate.

Depending on which transmitter you end up with, yes it's called a pitch control kit. You can buy them all day long on amazon for less than $10.00. the Vision controllers come with them I think. the gimbal will work without it though. I think you should get it in the air before you worry about. FYI pitch is up and down

Attachments

• pitch control kit.jpg
    pitch control kit.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 370
Sherpa, thank you very much for your help in this as I am a novice when it comes to quads. I don't mind soldering but would like to stay away from that for the time being.

The quad did come with the Tarot 2 axis, is there an aftermarket switch I'll need for the transmitter or will I need to purchase a tx with the switch on it?

I'll certainly read the manual as I learned there is great value to them while learning how to rebuild 2 stroke engines lol.

Any other downloads or first-timer things I should know about please don't hesitate.

From what I have read I believe Sherpa has pointed you in the right direction.

Can you post any pics of your birds belly? Including the antennas which protrude from the base of the landing gear?

Sounds like you need to stop referring to your bird as a P1. Now to contradict myself, I don't know of any FC40s with NUTS required to hold the props on the motors. So maybe you do have a P1. How about those pics??? :):)

Welcome to the party Jad,

From what I have read I believe Sherpa has pointed you in the right direction.

Can you post any pics of your birds belly? Including the antennas which protrude from the base of the landing gear?

Sounds like you need to stop referring to your bird as a P1. Now to contradict myself, I don't know of any FC40s with NUTS required to hold the props on the motors. So maybe you do have a P1. How about those pics??? :):)

Welcome to the party Jad,

These are pics from the ad. I'll post more when it arrives, hopefully today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 456
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 433

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members