Where to fly in Myrtle Beach, SC

I had a run-in with the Myrtle Beach PD, they basically said I couldn't fly there because of an airport nearby, even though I was outside the 5 mile radius of the MYR airport. I reluctantly complied, no need to argue with the police. We were staying at the Dunes Village Resort at 5200 N Ocean Blvd. Unfortunately the airport airspace covers a large majority of Myrtle Beach as shown here:
Myrtle%20Beach%20Map_zpsldk7d5nv.jpg

MYR is barely an airport.. :D

There is always reason to push back when LEOs decide you can't do something that is your legal right to do. Get their boss out there, push back. We should stop this idea that the government is here to rule us and they somehow know better.

Is anyone from the area? Curious of any good places to fly near Myrtle Beach and how the beach patrol/cops are down here about drones.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

MYR airport has grown in the past several years - stay away from downtown, they will bust your balls. North Myrtle Beach near Prince resort has a nice pier and is safe to fly. HOWEVER, come summertime, you will get the banner planes and helicopter tours - its not so much their cruising altitude but their takeoff and landing patterns is all over the place

MYR is barely an airport.. :D

There is always reason to push back when LEOs decide you can't do something that is your legal right to do. Get their boss out there, push back. We should stop this idea that the government is here to rule us and they somehow know better.

Um yeah, ok, good luck with that

Reactions: ron-ep
I live close by sort of. That Dunes area is in the heart of MB Go up to North Myrtle or Cherry Grove. Also Murrells inlet at the oyster recycle boat launch is perfect.

Huntington State Park...I've flown there. It's just south of MB. It's a great place to video alligators.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm gonna be in cherry grove in April. Hope to find some cool areas to fly there. I've never taken my Phantom to the beach before. I'm excited.

I'm gonna be in cherry grove in April. Hope to find some cool areas to fly there. I've never taken my Phantom to the beach before. I'm excited.

Did you have any problems near Cherry Grove? I'm heading up there in a month.

We're going to MB in August. We always stay at Lakewood campground. It's actually closer to Garden City. I've never taken my Phantom 4 but I'm taking it this year. I want to fly early mornings, hopefully a stretch of beach before anybody goes out.
To add I plan on going a little further south to get away from the airport.

I flew around Cherry Grove in April. I was out in the morning before a lot of people where out and about. No issues whatsoever. Keep in mind that a Coast Guard heli could be operating in the area so keep an eye out.

Did you have any problems near Cherry Grove? I'm heading up there in a month.
We stayed at the very end of N. Ocean Boulevard. Due to the weather I only flew a couple of times. I took my bird out over.Hog Inlet never venturing to far. It was pretty deserted when we were there so I didn't even see hardly anyone. I took off fight from the back yard of the house we were stating at so I don't think anybody even saw me. Got some killer video and stills at sunrise so early.morning is a great time to do it. Here is link to video I got there. Have fun !!

Reactions: DmaxSurveyor
Is anyone from the area? Curious of any good places to fly near Myrtle Beach and how the beach patrol/cops are down here about drones.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app
I am at myrtle beach right now on the grand strand. A cop just stopped and talked to someone flying a drone and just drove off . I assume your allowed. I only flew mine at night or really early. He flew mid day with a bunch of people and had no trouble

From the research I've done there is no local ordinance on drones. They just go by FAA regs. I spoke with the MB Air Control tower yesterday as I will be in MB next week and wanted some information about flying there. I told him I planned on flying from the beach at Lakewood campground which on the map it is just inside an advisory zone. I told him I was well aware of the FAA regs. and that safety was my main focus. He told me to call him back on the morning that I planned to fly and give them my name and FAA registration number and my start and stop time. I plan on flying early morning before the beach gets crowded. I also plan to find out what time the banner planes start flying and their minimum altitude.

Last edited:
Hey shlepprock, I will be at Ocean Lakes from the 17th thru the 21st. Planning on getting some footage of Ocean Lakes at sunrise and going down to Pawley's Island & Murrells Inlet to get some marshland shots. Hope to have good weather to get some great shots! I was down at Sanibel Island, FL the first week of June for 8 days, had rain & high winds the whole time, only got to fly the night before we left!:(

Reactions: schlepprock
Hey shlepprock, I will be at Ocean Lakes from the 17th thru the 21st. Planning on getting some footage of Ocean Lakes at sunrise and going down to Pawley's Island & Murrells Inlet to get some marshland shots. Hope to have good weather to get some great shots! I was down at Sanibel Island, FL the first week of June for 8 days, had rain & high winds the whole time, only got to fly the night before we left!:(
I'll be at Lakewood from the 12th through the 20th. I hope to get some early morning vids. I've been trying to figure out where else I could go do some flying. Maybe we can meet up and say hi.

From the research I've done there is no local ordinance on drones. They just go by FAA regs. I spoke with the MB Air Control tower yesterday as I will be in MB next week and wanted some information about flying there. I told him I planned on flying from the beach at Lakewood campground which on the map it is just inside an advisory zone. I told him I was well aware of the FAA regs. and that safety was my main focus. He told me to call him back on the morning that I planned to fly and give them my name and FAA registration number and my start and stop time. I plan on flying early morning before the beach gets crowded. I also plan to find out what time the banner planes start flying and their minimum altitude.

hey schlepprock hope all is well and went well last year! who did you speak to at the AP in myrtle, AP manager? we are down on vacay now and I want to let them know all the pertinent info about my prospective flights ..Im part 107 certified and fully insured so hopefully that will help ease their concerns, along with my detailed flight info and risk mitigation processes. Any tips you might have in regards to this would be very helpful and greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl