Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

When calling the ATC for permission to fly...

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by Michael Thompson, Sep 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Michael Thompson

I don't really want to sound like a total kook calling in the first time. Can anyone give an example of how the call would go and how I can give them the info they want as efficiently and clearly as possible? Say I wanted to fly in Class C airspace for 20 min. Many thanks.

MultiMegalomaniac likes this.
  2. Richard R

You don't call anyone. The FAA specifically doesn't want UAS pilots calling ATC for authorizations. you have to go to the FAA UAS page Unmanned Aircraft Systems and click on the "Request Waiver/Authorization" page. you fill in the request online, all authorizations will be handled at Headquarters level, not at the Local ATC level. Haven't done it yet (although I will need), so I don't know what the turnaround is, but willing to bet it's longer than 20 min!!

MultiMegalomaniac and Falcon900 like this.
  3. Michael Thompson

Glad I asked before I made an *** of myself and got chewed out! It would be nice if they incorporated that page into the B4UFly app. I appreciate the information.

4. Michael Thompson

How about when it says that u have to notify the airport operator or control tower? Do I still have to request a waiver or permission or simply notify? Please see my photo from the B4UFly app. I want to fly at a beach that is withing 5 miles of a Class D airport. Seems like I'd only have to tell somebody I'm flying, not request permission unless I'm wrong, as I am regularly.

Attached Files:

5. GB71

Doesn't that only apply to Part 107 pilots?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Falcon900 and cfd701 like this.
  6. cfd701

I thought this was only for commercial pilots. I was under the impression that hobby flying still needed to call?

7. cfd701

You still need to call the tower. FYI.

8. Michael Thompson

I passed my 107 (woohoooo) and plan to shoot at this location quite a bit. I'm assuming whenever B4UFly says to notify anyone that it means recreational and 107ers. Any information is appreciated.

Falcon900 and cfd701 like this.
  9. Michael Thompson

I thought that was the case. I will call them and err on the side of caution. Thanks for the reply.

10. cfd701

I don't want to confuse you. I assumed (I know) you weren't 107. I'm not sure about that. For hobby flying you need to notify the tower within 5 miles. Sorry for confusion.

11. joet

Short version:

Hobby flight: Notify any airport AND tower within 5 miles.

Part 107 flight: No notification required, unlimited operation in Class G airspace, prior notification and approval required via the online web submission form as mentioned above to fly in controlled airspace.

So hobby fliers can fly in controlled airspace with notification only. Part 107 requires no notification for airports in Class G.

Peter Galbavy, Falcon900 and cfd701 like this.
  12. Robert Smith jr

Great explanation Joet! Thanks ...

13. Michael Thompson

So, does anyone know how that call to notify ATC would go?

14. Mark The Droner

You don't really need permission.

I'd call and say "Hi, my name is (yada yada) and I'm a registered UAS pilot. I thought I should let you know I'm flying today at (give location) at around (give start time) at an altitude of no higher than (give altitude) and I'll be all done around (give stop time)."

Pause and see what they say. They might ask for your registration number and/or some clarification. Otherwise, say thank you and hang up.

Peter Galbavy likes this.
  15. godsend1

You probably won't sound like a kook, you'll feel like one though.

You get used to it.

Must notify tower, and it is more of a notification than a request. It's your airspace to.

16. Michael Thompson

Thank you for the info! Safe flying!

17. Michael Thompson

Hmmm I never thought of it that way. It IS our airspace too! Thanks!

theTastyCat and godsend1 like this.
  18. Great Pumpkin

Here's how I've talked successfully to ATC as a hobbyist for about 20 flights over the past year within 1/4 mile of a Class C airport, even as recently today, a week after CFR 14 Part 107 went into effect:
    "This is (my name) requesting clearance to fly a small UAV at (location) between (12:15 and 12:45 pm or whatever window of time I want). I'll be ( height) feet above ground level, flying Line of Sight, and I'll call you when I am back on the ground and done for the day."
    ATC may respond by asking me to confirm location and AGL height. Once they asked me for a contact telephone number, once they told me to standby until they cleared some manned aircraft traffic, and once they told me it wouldn't be necessary to call back.
    I call back every time (unless told not to, of course), and when I do, ATC usually thanks me and wishes me a good day. It is always a polite and positive experience.

Edit: According to FAA Order JO 7200.23, which goes into effect 3 October 2016, hobbyists should request "authorization" (not clearance) from tower ATC.
    Kennedye (below) is correct - ATC personnel are told not to use the word "approve".

#18 Great Pumpkin, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  19. kennedye

One thing to keep in mind is that you will *not* hear the word "approved" by the tower, it's a liability thing. So don't worry if they don't say it.

Fat Daddy, cfd701 and godsend1 like this.
  20. godsend1

From my conversations, it's more to let them notify their traffic to expect a drone in the stated airspace.