When calling the ATC for permission to fly...

Sweet Jesus, thank you Falcon and Flyboy for explaining that Controlled airport airspace is not "restricted". The rules for flying in B, C, D, and E-SFC are completely different from those regarding Restricted Areas. There are differences. The difference matters. Certificated Remote Pilots should already know the differences before their temporary certificates are even printed.

Reactions: Falcon900
JesterPhotog, I have been flying as a hobbyist, not yet certified with Part 107, so I don't need a waiver. I just telephone ATC 15-30 minutes before I intend to fly. Yes, I have been well within Class C air space - 1/4 mile from the end of one of the runways but no more than 200' AGL, generally 90' AGL and just below the height of the nearby palm trees. I did pass the Part 107 knowledge test a couple days ago and expect my Remote Pilot certificate in a couple weeks. The FAA examination proctor did not know if I could be a hobbyist for some flights and a commercial pilot for others. Anyone out there know the answer?

Last edited:
Yes, you can fly under 107 some ops, and recreationally for other ops.

Reactions: Falcon900
Prior to my wife getting my Phantom 4 for me I had no clue that there were so many rules and regs governing the use of drones. I hadn't even considered getting one much less paying attention to all the rules for something I didn't own. It wasn't until unpacking the Phantom that I began to realize all the complexities of flying it according to FAA rules. :eek: So I dutifully got online and got my FAA registration and downloaded the B4UFly app. When I brought up the app is when I discovered that I was just on the cusp of the 5 mile radius of the Stockton CA airport. So I looked up the number to tower and called them to let them know I would be flying my drone. I started the conversation by stating my name and that I would be flying a drone. They wanted to know my FAA registration number and the area of my operation and my altitude range. Then they asked a bunch of questions about the drone and was I doing it commercially. Once they were satisfied with my answers they thanked me for calling them and said they see no problems. It's funny but every time I've called them since, I get a whole different series of questions from the various people who answer the phone. I'm thinking I must be the first one in the area to have called them as sometimes they don't seem to know what questions to ask or they put me on hold as they thumb through their manuals to find out. But all in all it's been no problem getting their okie dokie to fly.

Reactions: cfd701
I've made numerous requests using the FAA online request form over the past 3 weeks for Class D airspace. I haven't received anything in return from them. No email or call or anything. So I'm not even sure if they've received my requests or not. I really wish this was more automated to get an immediate response. Not sure how I'm supposed to make money when I can't tell my client if we can shoot or not. Has anyone out there gotten approval yet?

I've made numerous requests using the FAA online request form over the past 3 weeks for Class D airspace. I haven't received anything in return from them. No email or call or anything. So I'm not even sure if they've received my requests or not. I really wish this was more automated to get an immediate response. Not sure how I'm supposed to make money when I can't tell my client if we can shoot or not. Has anyone out there gotten approval yet?

Our company submitted Part 107 airspace waiver requests at the end of August. No response from the FAA just yet. Sorry to say, but I think these airspace waiver approvals may take just as long as the airspace waiver approvals took under Section 333... a few months.

Our company submitted Part 107 airspace waiver requests at the end of August. No response from the FAA just yet. Sorry to say, but I think these airspace waiver approvals may take just as long as the airspace waiver approvals took under Section 333... a few months.

If you wanted airspace authorizations but asked for waivers, that could be your problem. If you really wanted a waiver, what regulation did you want to deviate from?

If you wanted airspace authorizations but asked for waivers, that could be your problem. If you really wanted a waiver, what regulation did you want to deviate from?

Oops. I mean airspace authorization. We were previously granted our Section 333 Exemption COAs for Class B/D/E airspace and LOAs for operations near military airfields here on Oahu. When Part 107 took effect, we re-filed for airspace authorization to operate in the same Class B/D/E airspaces under Part 107 and spoke with an FAA rep who are "new at it (reviewing waivers/authorization applications)". Having new, inexperienced staff is probably why airspace authorizations are taking longer than one would expect, especially when COAs/LOAs were previously granted to an organization under Section 333.

When you give your location, do you give exact coordinates? What is the best way to communicate these to ATC? Thanks

When you give your location, do you give exact coordinates? What is the best way to communicate these to ATC? Thanks
If you're operating under Part 107, lats and longs on the form at faa.gov/uas

Thanks, I'm also asking about flying for recreation and I call ATC. Do I give coordinates for my location and whats the best way to communicate that. I haven't called ATC before I want to make sure I say the right thing.

Thanks, I'm also asking about flying for recreation and I call ATC. Do I give coordinates for my location and whats the best way to communicate that. I haven't called ATC before I want to make sure I say the right thing.

I haven't down this for recreational flight. I would guess that a compass bearing from the airport center and the distance would be what they would want.

I usually give name, contact number(I give them the number of the cell phone that I'll have with me in case something comes up), bearing and distance, start and stop times and max altitude. Seems to be enough for them under hobby flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers