Whats everyone using for H.365 video editing?

so what kind of computer can handle h.265? What's the minimum requirement?

Most any decent desktop PC with a supported GPU will do OK though a lesser PC may need to use proxies to be workable. A higher end PC of the last couple years with a good GPU should be able to work H.265 or H.264 without using proxies though you may want to use reduced resolution settings for edit playback. In PP in both the 'source' and 'program' window there's a drop down box just left of the wrench icon a the bottom right of the screen that will either say 'full', '1/2', '1/4', '1/8' or '1/16' -- this sets the resolution during playback while editing and lowering it can smooth the performance. It's a bit like using proxies without using proxies and you can change the setting whenever you wish without effecting the rendered quality or needing to mess with proxy workflow.

So, any decent desktop box of the last couple years with a decent GPU should permit 4K editing with H.265 or H.264 though changing the playback resolution as I describe may be helpful in making the task quicker.

Finally, although I mention the GPU you do not normally need a high end GPU unless you do a LOT of effects -- for most things the component that most determines performance will be the CPU so if you're thinking of buying or building a PC for video editing budget more for the CPU and just get a good GPU. When I render I watch the CPU and GPU temps and find that for most things the CPU goes to max temp while the GPU typically only goes up about a third of the way to max. I do have a high end 980Ti GPU but I also have a good i7-5820K CPU -- both over clocked modestly.

Brian

Reactions: Pharm and tml4191
Most any decent desktop PC with a supported GPU will do OK though a lesser PC may need to use proxies to be workable. A higher end PC of the last couple years with a good GPU should be able to work H.265 or H.264 without using proxies though you may want to use reduced resolution settings for edit playback. In PP in both the 'source' and 'program' window there's a drop down box just left of the wrench icon a the bottom right of the screen that will either say 'full', '1/2', '1/4', '1/8' or '1/16' -- this sets the resolution during playback while editing and lowering it can smooth the performance. It's a bit like using proxies without using proxies and you can change the setting whenever you wish without effecting the rendered quality or needing to mess with proxy workflow.

So, any decent desktop box of the last couple years with a decent GPU should permit 4K editing with H.265 or H.264 though changing the playback resolution as I describe may be helpful in making the task quicker.

Finally, although I mention the GPU you do not normally need a high end GPU unless you do a LOT of effects -- for most things the component that most determines performance will be the CPU so if you're thinking of buying or building a PC for video editing budget more for the CPU and just get a good GPU. When I render I watch the CPU and GPU temps and find that for most things the CPU goes to max temp while the GPU typically only goes up about a third of the way to max. I do have a high end 980Ti GPU but I also have a good i7-5820K CPU -- both over clocked modestly.

Brian
In that case, how about laptops? Are there any legit laptops to look out for, or what's one that can handle some good h.265 editing?

In that case, how about laptops? Are there any legit laptops to look out for, or what's one that can handle some good h.265 editing?

I have a nearly two year old Dell laptop with a 4K screen that I've done some 4K editing on though it's not something I'd want to do a lot of. The thing with editing is that when it comes time to render, if you have a longer project lasting, say, 15 minutes or longer, then it will probably take 2-4 times as long to render and laptops are not really designed to handle continuous full performance for an hour or so at a time. But, if you do much shorter projects and make sure you have good airflow to the laptop then it could be OK. Don't sit it down on a couch or similar that might block the vents while rendering.

OTH, if you just use the laptop for cutting and then grade and render on a desktop then you should be OK with a laptop.

Brian

Reactions: Pharm
I have a nearly two year old Dell laptop with a 4K screen that I've done some 4K editing on though it's not something I'd want to do a lot of. The thing with editing is that when it comes time to render, if you have a longer project lasting, say, 15 minutes or longer, then it will probably take 2-4 times as long to render and laptops are not really designed to handle continuous full performance for an hour or so at a time. But, if you do much shorter projects and make sure you have good airflow to the laptop then it could be OK. Don't sit it down on a couch or similar that might block the vents while rendering.

OTH, if you just use the laptop for cutting and then grade and render on a desktop then you should be OK with a laptop.

Brian
thanks for the replies^

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart