Whats everyone using for H.365 video editing?

Reaction score
haven't tried it but 4k 100mbs must be a bear to work with.......Has anyone used a good program to edit H.365? if so what and how do you like it??

TIA, Dave

It's H265, not H365.
To me, the best way is convert the H265 file to another "more friendly to edit" format, like ProRes.

haven't tried it but 4k 100mbs must be a bear to work with.......Has anyone used a good program to edit H.365? if so what and how do you like it??

TIA, Dave

H265 is really not made for editing in the first place so transcoding to e.g. prores is advisable and opens up most popular editing software. I use davinci resolve myself and many use premiere. A (better) option If software supports h265 natively, is using proxy files for the editing and the sourcefiles for the rendering.

Reactions: Falcon900
I don't know what H365 is, but H265 is directly supported by premiere pro CC. However, the files require a crazy high end computer. Mine with an i7-6700k, 32GB DDR4 RAM, evo 850 SSD drives, and GTX 980Ti cannot do it without the video looking poor. So for me I just let PP ingest and auto create proxy files at h264 720p to make easier for editing. Then when it does final render it uses the original h265 videos for output. It's a super easy to use workflow.

That said, I have done some side by sides of h264 vs h265 output and my naked eye cannot tell any difference in the quality so I'm still recording in h264. I haven't done fast moving shots yet, which is likely where the advantage for h265 lies though because it can put more data into the same space.

Yes, create prores or dnx proxies, edit with those and then use the source files for the final output.

Even if your machine will play h265 natively, it won't cope once you've added any LUTs or FX.

Proxy/offline editing is used in every feature film work flow, even when the most powerful dedicated workstations are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Falcon900
I have not had much problem editing h.265 video in PP and I do so without transcoding. I feel that if you can edit without an intermediate transcoding then you will be better off. I do have a pretty powerful PC that I built last January. My last video upload was using h.265.

This video was shot in 4K using h.265 and was edited using PP without proxies or transcoding.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Brian

Last edited:
Reactions: Roamer105
I have done native editing on various systems and it can be fine. However as general advice, going with a proxy workflow is better. Mpeg4 (h264/5) is not a format designed for editing - it is designed for linear playback and streaming. Something like prores will not take long to create and will definitely survive more adjustment/colouring/FX before it drops frames.

Premier Pro CC handles proxy workflow like a champ now and there is very little reason not to do it, unless you are just quickly throwing a bunch of clips together.

I am a newbie, What is H265

It's one of the video formats that the p4p records in. Better compression and therefore supposedly better picture quality, but very hard to edit natively unless either a very fast computer or using proxies (as above)

Wow, ok so what if I just wanted to add a few clips, cut, splice, fade in and out, add music, nothing fancy. Is it the 4K 100mps that makes it hard as opposed to 1080p?

This guy has been corrected many times before, and keeps posting nonsense. It is not even entertaining at this point anymore.

The moderators should make a correction at this point since it is clogging up the forum.

Proxy editing is fine if you need to use proxy editing because of project complexity with effects or because your PC isn't up to snuff, but to say you need to use proxy editing is just not correct. I don't care how many edits or effects you use the original files will NEVER be altered and all the editor is doing a generating a list of things to be done to various segments of the original video files and in the end you render precisely once!

So, if you have a snappy PC and/or your project isn't all that complicated there is zero need to use proxy editing.

Brian

Reactions: Dronefriend
I don't know what H365 is, but H265 is directly supported by premiere pro CC. However, the files require a crazy high end computer. Mine with an i7-6700k, 32GB DDR4 RAM, evo 850 SSD drives, and GTX 980Ti cannot do it without the video looking poor. So for me I just let PP ingest and auto create proxy files at h264 720p to make easier for editing. Then when it does final render it uses the original h265 videos for output. It's a super easy to use workflow.

That said, I have done some side by sides of h264 vs h265 output and my naked eye cannot tell any difference in the quality so I'm still recording in h264. I haven't done fast moving shots yet, which is likely where the advantage for h265 lies though because it can put more data into the same space.

How do you do that? I am not super familiar with it?

This guy has been corrected many times before, and keeps posting nonsense. It is not even entertaining at this point anymore.

The moderators should make a correction at this point since it is clogging up the forum.

Who are you referring to here? Me?

My proxy suggestion is not nonsense. Why do you think that Adobe have just made proxy editing their major update go Premiere in the last 6 months?

Proxy editing is just a process of making interim files that you cut with, so that the picture always plays smoothly whilst you are editing. When you then export the project it then uses the original media to create the final version. No loss of quality and therefore no harm, especially as the files render in the background.

FCP X does this for you automatically in the background (you don't even get a choice I think)

Resolve calls this using 'optimised media'

Premiere calls them proxies.

I don't know why you'd say this is incorrect. Clearly if you can edit natively without problems you are not going to need to do this. Well done on your super fast computer.

But for everyone else who hasn't spend £2k in the last 6 months on a workstation, this is relevant and useful advice.

And as I said earlier, it's what the film and TV industry has done for the last 20 years, and continue to do today.

Who are you referring to here? Me?

My proxy suggestion is not nonsense. Why do you think that Adobe have just made proxy editing their major update go Premiere in the last 6 months?

Proxy editing is just a process of making interim files that you cut with, so that the picture always plays smoothly whilst you are editing. When you then export the project it then uses the original media to create the final version. No loss of quality and therefore no harm, especially as the files render in the background.

FCP X does this for you automatically in the background (you don't even get a choice I think)

Resolve calls this using 'optimised media'

Premiere calls them proxies.

I don't know why you'd say this is incorrect. Clearly if you can edit natively without problems you are not going to need to do this. Well done on your super fast computer.

But for everyone else who hasn't spend £2k in the last 6 months on a workstation, this is relevant and useful advice.

And as I said earlier, it's what the film and TV industry has done for the last 20 years, and continue to do today.

Not you... The guy that keeps posting h365

so what kind of computer can handle h.265? What's the minimum requirement?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers