Whats better 30fps or 60fps?

So if left alone during editing, will 24fps appear smoother than 60fps?

No. 60fps will be "buttery" smooth on the screen, which is unnatural for the human eye. 24fps will appear, not "more choppy", but more blurred during moments where there is action. Movies typically are shot in 24fps

An easy way to see this is to think of an old and new model tv. An old one (24fps) will have less fluid video than one of those brand new ultra hd TVs with a higher refresh rate (60fps)

My speed comment was referring to the OP as he suggested that he was using 60 fps to smooth out panning. I was assuming he was placing the footage on a 30 fps timeline. Perhaps I was wrong there.

Interesting comment about stock sales favoring 30 and 60 fps. I personally dislike those frame rates as I just don't think they look nearly as good as 24 fps. I just prefer the cinematic look.

Check your PM

I prefer the highest frame-rate I can get. I want everything on the screen to be as crisp and clear as it can be. I want the viewer to see every detail. While this may not be a comfortable frame rate for the viewer, I want to catch their attention and be drawn in and hopefully mesmerized by the detail and beauty of what is being captured.

There is no doubt that 60 fps gives you more room to adjust speed later, but there is a much bigger issue. The frame rate has a lot to do with the final look you are trying to achieve. If you want the broadcast TV, hyper-realistic look to your images, then the higher the frame rate the better. This is because you reduce motion blur in moving parts of your images between frames. If, however, you want a cinematic look, then the closer to 24 fps, the better. Traditional motion pictures are shot at 24 fps which gives a good deal of motion blur between frames. Our brains are conditioned to see this as a pleasing image. Higher frame rates appear jarring and just somehow not right. So if you want the cinema look, stick to 24 fps.

If you are using a higher frame rate to compensate for camera motions that are not smooth, I suggest you practice more, use tripod mode or adjust the gimbal etc for slower motion and stick to the 24 fps frame rate. In the end, you will produce better, more pleasing imagery.

Yip. I agree its really weird when you see 60fps. Majority of youtube is in 30 anyway.

Thanks for the help

60fps basically gives you that room to stretch out the video to slower speeds while maintaining similar quality as 30 or 24fps footage (depending how much you stretch it out). When doing bet serene, relaxed films I use the highest frame rate possible, as it adds to the "jarring" response of the brain when watching it, creating an interesting effect overall.

I very much agree however, too, that a lower frame rate (24fps) provides a realistic, cinematic look to your video. You just are limited in terms of slowing it down later as it will appear more "choppy" as you stretch it out.

If you really want that extra level of quality control on your videos, change the format that it is recording in (D-LOG, Cinema etc.). Some of these could be considered the video equivalent of shooting pictures in RAW (could be wrong here [emoji1]). They all have their pros and cons, but I don't touch those setting because I'm happy with the end product of my footage.

Happy filming!

iflyp3s

Its the "choppy" that I absolutely hate. Going to play around with the settings a little as you suggested

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak