What the heck is that?!

My understanding is that it isn't an approval process, but just an information call. It sounds like some towers think they have the authority to prevent the flight (and they may for all I know), But I should probably start a new thread (or look for an existing one). Again, sorry to hijack.

My understanding is that it isn't an approval process, but just an information call. It sounds like some towers think they have the authority to prevent the flight (and they may for all I know), But I should probably start a new thread (or look for an existing one). Again, sorry to hijack.
They are only allowed by FAA policy to say no if their is a safety issue.

Under 107 soon, as I recently got 107 certified and will be applying for waivers next week, waiting for approval. However when flying as a hobbiest the VanNuys airport wouldn't approve anything, said a waiver is needed, and I know that cannot be acquired without a 107 cert. So it appears no hobbiest can fly near commercial airports unless you have a 107 and a waiver. That's my interpretation of what VanNuys controller told me, and what I've heard from other 107 pilots.
That is incorrect, I was flying as a "hobbyist" within 5 miles of a major international airport (Class C airspace) this past week with the FAA tower's blessing. I'm actually a NASA employee, though I've never had to use that fact to gain the favor of a tower (we have an MOU with the FAA) for hobby type operations. The FAA has been fine to work with both outside and during work hours.

That is incorrect, I was flying as a "hobbyist" within 5 miles of a major international airport (Class C airspace) this past week with the FAA tower's blessing. I'm actually a NASA employee, though I've never had to use that fact to gain the favor of a tower (we have an MOU with the FAA) for hobby type operations. The FAA has been fine to work with both outside and during work hours.

Don't trust what I or anyone else says about the FAA regulations. This is an emerging moving target donkey at the moment. Hobbyist and Part 107 rules are very different. At this point for 107 operations in towered air space you need an FAA waiver. You have to file on line and wait for potentially 90 days for a response. For hobbyists, you just call the tower and notify them.

I fly part 107, and always have good interactions when calling towers or airport managers, but the FAA waiver process is redangdiculous. 90 days??? Please.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT