So what are the rules for???

Reaction score
It amazes me the number of people on this forum that thumb their noses at the very basic flying rules we are supposed to adhere to when flying our Phantoms. It's a pretty small percentage, but it is enough to be alarming. Here's an example...When your bird is out of VLOS...like a mile or more, how would you "see and avoid" a potential midair collision? There are other examples and I am appalled at the cavalier attitude of some that seems to be accepted by the members of this forum. There is a very large responsibility on your shoulders when you rotate off the ground and take to the air. The safety of other aircraft is YOUR responsibility, as well as the other PICs.

We share the NAS with manned aircraft. Adolescent, rebellious behavior, as previously mentioned, can get someone killed. The offenders can justify, obfuscate and generally whine like small children till they turn blue, but regulations are regulations and if a private pilot tried that kind of crap, they would never fly again. It is a matter of attitude.

I think it's time the UAS community started looking hard at the clowns that are endangering our privilege to fly our Phantoms by doing silly things. They are essentially giving the finger to the FAA and the law abiding pilots in the UAS community so that they can do whatever they feel like doing to be a 15 minute hero on the internet. It's about much more than just flying at extreme range, which I actually find quite interesting....It's about the community policing itself to educate and mentor the selfish ones that only think about their own situation so that we don't have the FAA come down on us and outlaw UAS flights outright. Europe is getting pretty tired of those sort of antics causing problems and are about to clamp down HARD on hobbyist UAS operators.

So flame away, because I am confident in my argument and my concern is for the UAS hobby community and its future.

In the interest of full disclosure, I fly sUAS aircraft for a living for a large mining company.

It amazes me the number of people on this forum that thumb their noses at the very basic flying rules we are supposed to adhere to when flying our Phantoms. It's a pretty small percentage, but it is enough to be alarming. Here's an example...When your bird is out of VLOS...like a mile or more, how would you "see and avoid" a potential midair collision? There are other examples and I am appalled at the cavalier attitude of some that seems to be accepted by the members of this forum. There is a very large responsibility on your shoulders when you rotate off the ground and take to the air. The safety of other aircraft is YOUR responsibility, as well as the other PICs.

We share the NAS with manned aircraft. Adolescent, rebellious behavior, as previously mentioned, can get someone killed. The offenders can justify, obfuscate and generally whine like small children till they turn blue, but regulations are regulations and if a private pilot tried that kind of crap, they would never fly again. It is a matter of attitude.

I think it's time the UAS community started looking hard at the clowns that are endangering our privilege to fly our Phantoms by doing silly things. They are essentially giving the finger to the FAA and the law abiding pilots in the UAS community so that they can do whatever they feel like doing to be a 15 minute hero on the internet. It's about much more than just flying at extreme range, which I actually find quite interesting....It's about the community policing itself to educate and mentor the selfish ones that only think about their own situation so that we don't have the FAA come down on us and outlaw UAS flights outright. Europe is getting pretty tired of those sort of antics causing problems and are about to clamp down HARD on hobbyist UAS operators.

So flame away, because I am confident in my argument and my concern is for the UAS hobby community and its future.

In the interest of full disclosure, I fly sUAS aircraft for a living for a large mining company.
Right on!
See #2 here:
Drone air traffic control

Funny how this post is very quiet hey? We get slammed for some real minor bending of the rules, but using your example, long range flyers are celebrated and almost congratulated. To me this action is one of the worst, deliberate and dangerous actions. This forum is descending into one rule for them and another for us. If you don't agree with the 'drone police' then you're wrong. The rules and regulations are there for a reason and everyone should follow them, the ones that blatantly flout those rules should all be reminded

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik