What should do when I fly a drone within 5 miles of an airport?

I'll break it down further.
1 - stay out of controlled airspace.

2 - notify ALL airports within 5 miles.

3 - They can NOT technically say no. But if they do, be careful how you handle it. (Personally I would find somewhere else to fly)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: azgeek
1 - stay out of controlled airspace.

2 - notify ALL airports within 5 miles.

3 - They can NOT technically say no. But if they do, be careful how you handle it. (Personally I would find somewhere else to fly)

Great advice. If all UAS pilots followed this advice then perhaps the bureaucrats wouldn't be in such a mad rush towards more restrictions on the hobby.

Thanks guys, this is the basic needed stuff/action we need to know. FAA has confused the heck out of the important stuff in 107 test including stuff like what services are available at the airport, does not add to protecting man occupied aircraft or people/property.

I'll break it down further.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

In total agreement here, but the problem is many airport managers / FBO operators at uncontrolled fields have no idea what they're technically allowed or not allowed to say. So you're back to determining how you want to handle it, which could mean giving in and finding somewhere else to fly even when you know you have the right of way.

In total agreement here, but the problem is many airport managers / FBO operators at uncontrolled fields have no idea what they're technically allowed or not allowed to say. So you're back to determining how you want to handle it, which could mean giving in and finding somewhere else to fly even when you know you have the right of way.
Which is exactly why you do not ask permission, you notify. If you ask permission you are forcing them to make a decision, and the default answer will probably be no. If you notify (which is the proper procedure under the law) then they can simply acknowledge without any liability on their part, which is much more likely to come out in your favor. And note that you are not required to have a real-time conversation with anyone, it is permissible to leave a message on a recording system stating your intent (where/when/etc.) if a live person is not available, or submit a notification via the AIRMAP app if the agency accepts electronic submissions.

Last edited:
Hi ,I live in Western Australia and made some inquiries about drone flying. Was surprised at the restrictions. It will only take one really bad incident related to a drones to bring the system to a standstill. In the news recently a guy sent his drone to a place to pick up a sandwich and put it on social media. It ended up on the news. He may now be facing a $34000au fine and jail.

View attachment 74306

What should I do like this situation? Do I need to contact with air traffic control tower firstly? How can I contact with them?
Did you register yourself with the FAA? Are you using the drone for remuneration? Did you read the FAA applicable rules?

In my own experience, in Connecticut, if I will be encroaching on the 5 mile zone, I call the tower. I tell them the details of my flight (location, time of take off and planned landing and max altitude). I give them my FAA number. I was once given "grief" from the "airport manager", but the tower has always been accommodating to the extreme.

In the US, there are very few restrictions on recreational flight due to Congressional mandate. You can indeed fly within controlled airspace, BUT you are legally required to NOT interfere with manned aircraft and to fly in a safe manner.

"Notify" is the right word. The airport or tower cannot prohibit your flight legally, but not every employee knows this, and may interpret your notification as a request for permission.

My advice - if you are going to fly near any airport, US or elsewhere:

1. Stay as low as possible.
2. Stay away from the ends of the runways for a good mile or so. You can see the layout on any chart and most maps.
3. Observe the manned aircraft as they enter the landing pattern over the airport, and stay well away from that area. Note: It can change over time as wind conditions change.
4. Do not overfly the field.
5. Give the airport/tower as much information as you can about your intended operating area and maximum altitude, and stick to it.

Bottom line: Be as safe as possible and as respectful for the legitimate concerns that the larger aviation community has about drones. Don't give them a reason to be any more apprehensive about sharing the airspace than they are right now.

In the US, there are very few restrictions on recreational flight due to Congressional mandate. You can indeed fly within controlled airspace, BUT you are legally required to NOT interfere with manned aircraft and to fly in a safe manner.

"Notify" is the right word. The airport or tower cannot prohibit your flight legally, but not every employee knows this, and may interpret your notification as a request for permission.

My advice - if you are going to fly near any airport, US or elsewhere:

1. Stay as low as possible.
2. Stay away from the ends of the runways for a good mile or so. You can see the layout on any chart and most maps.
3. Observe the manned aircraft as they enter the landing pattern over the airport, and stay well away from that area. Note: It can change over time as wind conditions change.
4. Do not overfly the field.
5. Give the airport/tower as much information as you can about your intended operating area and maximum altitude, and stick to it.

Bottom line: Be as safe as possible and as respectful for the legitimate concerns that the larger aviation community has about drones. Don't give them a reason to be any more apprehensive about sharing the airspace than they are right now.

In Western Australia, I was told no flying within 5 kms of a airport, no flying at night, drones to be within sight, no higher than 50 mtrs. With drones under 1 kl no registration required anything over requires reg and I think a licence is needed but waiting for confirmation. I asked for written confirmation to be sent. I am going to enjoy my flying before the crackdown I believe is coming.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT