What should do when I fly a drone within 5 miles of an airport?

Reaction score
IMG_9540.PNG

What should I do like this situation? Do I need to contact with air traffic control tower firstly? How can I contact with them?

How can I contact with them?
I use an app called Hover which is pretty good at listing the contact telephone for a specific ATC in a given area. At least for airports. Helipads (hospitals) and the like aren't always indicated.

Yes. You need to contact them.

Unless you are part 107 and you are not entering their airspace.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I downloaded an app called Hover, but there are only airports' contact list. Do I need to contact with Helipad? If I need, how can I contact with them?

Yes. You need to contact them.

Unless you are part 107 and you are not entering their airspace.

How do you usually contact with them? Give a call to them? I cannot find helipad contact information on Hover or B4FlY app, do I need to contact with the hospital before flying?

Sorry, I do not understand... What do you mean?

AC is short for Aircraft.

If you need to fly inside a safety zone, you have to call the local airport/aerodrome and inform them about your task, they will then give you a yes with operating instructions, max alt etc, or you will get a simple no. If you get a no, theres no one else you can complain to, ATC is the chief in charge in regulated airspace.
If you get approval, then you also need to unlock your Phantom safety zone
DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly

Hope that answers your questions.

Reactions: Dji_P4P

If you need to fly inside a safety zone, you have to call the local airport/aerodrome and inform them about your task, they will then give you a yes with operating instructions, max alt etc, or you will get a simple no. If you get a no, theres no one else you can complain to, ATC is the chief in charge in regulated airspace.

Thank so much for your information.

But I find Hover only have airport contact information, how about helipad? Do I need to contact with them?
What did you usually say to them? Just tell them that want to fly for about an hour under 400 feet like ask for permission?

Thank so much for your information.

But I find Hover only have airport contact information, how about helipad? Do I need to contact with them?
What did you usually say to them? Just tell them that want to fly for about an hour under 400 feet like ask for permission?

The closest airport will have all the info about nearby airports and phone numbers.
Heliports/pads also report to tower when lifting off, to check for other traffic in the area, then tower will notify helis or small aircraft that theres drones in a certain area operating at 400ft and below, fex.
Just say exactly what your intention is, if its just for fun, they will probably say no...

Just say exactly what your intention is, if its just for fun, they will probably say no...
Unless you are in Class B airspace or a TFR/restricted zone you do not require permission from ATC or the airport operator, you are only required to notify.

This is kind of a slushy subject. You are required to NOTIFY them, as long as you don't penetrate their airspace they can tell you no. But they can not prevent you from flying.

However, if they feel that your flight jeopardized safety or caused an issue they can then pursue legal action.

My opinion is, if they say no. Accept it as a no. For hospitals I would simply call the main hospital number, and ask who you can talk to at the helipad for FAA reasons.

And stay below 200' and maintain close line of sight. If you come into visual range of a manned aircraft, always give them right of way.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

This is kind of a slushy subject. You are required to NOTIFY them, as long as you don't penetrate their airspace they can tell you no.
I'm not sure I follow, why would they tell you no if you aren't even going to penetrate their airspace?

In any event there is nothing slushy about it, if you are flying for recreation (not Part 107) all you are required to do is notify. In other words, do not ask if you can, notify them that you are. If they take the unusual step of still telling you no (and they must provide a specific reason for denial) then don't fly of course, but the basic point is that you shouldn't ask, but rather notify since that is the requirement. Asking when not required is only more likely to elicit a no response.

You only need to inform them of your flight, it's not asking their permission if it's hobbyist flight. You don't need their permission, you merely need to inform them.

I'm not sure I follow, why would they tell you no if you aren't even going to penetrate their airspace?

In any event there is nothing slushy about it, if you are flying for recreation (not Part 107) all you are required to do is notify. In other words, do not ask if you can, notify them that you are. If they take the unusual step of still telling you no (and they must provide a specific reason for denial) then don't fly of course, but the basic point is that you shouldn't ask, but rather notify since that is the requirement. Asking when not required is only more likely to elicit a no response.

Okay, please don't misinterpret the question I am about to ask, I am NOT being insulting. Do you understand the way that airspace works around the different categories of airports? You can easily be within the 5 miles of the airport and NOT be inside of their airspace. What is slushy, is that you are not required to ask permission. You are required to NOTIFY them. If they tell you not to fly, you would be very foolish to continue to do so. But technically you complied with the regulation. If they told you not to fly, you did anyways and they feel that your operation interfered with the safe conduct of a flight, they can pursue legal action. That is what is slushy.

I have a commercial pilot and CFI rating. In helicopters. Real ones. So I kinda sorta have a general understanding of airspace use.

I know you are required to notify, we have no disagreement there, and of course it would be inappropriate to fly if they took the unusual step of saying no, no one is debating that either. I am only pointing out that 'permission' is not the right term to use when contacting an airport authority prior to a recreational drone flight, nothing more or less.

Last edited:
Okay re read everything that I posted. I never said anything about permission. What I said was specific, you need to notify them.

Furthermore, you asked why they would tell you no if you are not going into their airspace. That is simple, you may not be. But they may either be uninformed or just being difficult.

Again, you asked. So I provided an answer.

Lastly, let's not have an ego contest here. I was simply trying to be helpful. It is silly, and accomplishes nothing.

I'm really just not understanding what you are trying to communicate but since we agree that all you need to do is notify then we can leave it at that. The comment about 'permission' was not aimed at correcting you but rather other posts in the thread, sorry if that was unclear.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie