What May Be U.S.’s First Drone-Linked Aircraft Crash Is Being Investigated

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Take note that this has not been confirmed yet so take it as "news" until proven to be fact.

Let's discuss it but do so in a Civil way.

The incident on Wednesday involved a student pilot and an instructor, both of whom told investigators that a small drone appeared directly in front of them, according to a Charleston Police Department report. The instructor took over the controls and attempted to avoid a collision, and the tail of the helicopter hit a tree or brush, triggering a crash landing.......

I would suggest that though we may be flying safe within the permissible limits, but any time if you see any helicopter nearby or hear blades sound, just take down your drone instantly and unconditionally.

Interesting.. Obviously flying very low to hit a tree. Wonder how far away from helipad they were? It said they were in a remote area. If that is the case, how is this to be avoided. It’s quite possible that both parties were legal and/or at fault. To hit a tree trying to avoid a drone that isn’t bigger than a hawk seems like a pilot mistake. Granted I have no idea what the drone was doing... If they were out in legal airspace flying around at 50ft in the air and a helicopter suddenly appears very low and headed at you, I am not sure what the proper move would be? I’d descend immediately more than likely, but this sounds like something that could be a pure accident by no fault of anyone. It won’t be spun that way outside of the drone community however. That you can be sure.

Last edited:
FYI NTSB case number GAA18CA131 on 2/14/18

Sounds like a situational awareness issue to me. You don’t avoid one hazard by flying into another hazard. Without knowing all the facts, I’d guess pilot error on the part of the Robinson pilot at the time of contact with the hazard.

Without a LOT more details everything is speculation but . . .

I think most likely both parties are at fault here. The sUAS operator possibly failed to maintain See&Avoid (yet to be determined and may never get proven) if he allowed the sUAS to get too close to the manned aircraft (Right of way always goes to Manned aircraft in this scenario). The Robinson pilot put himself in a tough situation prior to the sUAS arriving if he was in a "practice scenario" where he couldn't safely maneuver should an issue arise.

I think the MEDIA is going to try and run our industry over a cliff but I suspect the NTSB is going to come back and put the blame on the Robinson pilot. In manned aviation, we ALWAYS fly the aircraft first and foremost and then deal with the emergency. Many planes have crashed trying to get back to the airport for a simple flopping cargo door/hatch. We FLY THE PLANE always.

I was not there and I am tossing out spit-wad guesses and nothing more.

Last edited:
Without a LOT more details everything is speculation but . . .

I think most likely both parties are at fault here. The sUAS operator possibly failed to maintain See&Avoid (yet to be determined and may never get proven) if her allowed the sUAS to get too close to the manned aircraft (Right of way always goes to Manned aircraft in this scenario). The Robinson pilot put himself in a tough situation prior to the sUAS arriving if he was in a "practice scenario" where he couldn't safely maneuver should an issue arise.

I think the MEDIA is going to try and run our industry over a cliff but I suspect the NTSB is going to come back and put the blame on the Robinson pilot. In manned aviation, we ALWAYS fly the aircraft first and foremost and then deal with the emergency. Many planes have crashed trying to get back to the airport for a simple flopping cargo door/hatch. We FLY THE PLANE always.

I was not there and I am tossing out spit-wad guesses and nothing more.
Agreed, nicely stated.

Reactions: BigAl07
Also, if said drone was sighted, who says he wasn't trying to avoid the helicopter? Another scenario, if the drone opperater was flying beyond sight. He wouldn't hear the helicopter or possibly see it with the drone's mono vision.

Reactions: JoBe
I read about this encounter on a tech site this morning and saw this comment from a reader:

"That's if he even saw a drone. In today's anti drone environment, saying "a drone did it" would play right into the media's hands and they would run with it no matter the circumstances. I'm not saying it wasn't a drone. We all know that there are idiots out there who don't play nice. Still, it's so easy to just say "DRONE!" and turn any situation away from potential facts."

i was hoping to fly this weekend but its going to be cold af here on LI. today its nice so im gonna disappear from work and try to get some air time. where i fly there seems to be low flying helicopters in the space for drones. sometimes it aggravates me because we have a right to the space as well. i get that they need to land or take off, but why can they fly under 400 feet horizontally for as long as they want while away from airports? seems like an accident is coming sure [Edited].

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the MEDIA is going to try and run our industry over a cliff but I suspect the NTSB is going to come back and put the blame on the Robinson pilot. In manned aviation, we ALWAYS fly the aircraft first and foremost and then deal with the emergency. Many planes have crashed trying to get back to the airport for a simple flopping cargo door/hatch. We FLY THE PLANE always

As usual, BigAl, the voice of reason. Thank you!

@JoBe unfortunately you're badly misinformed. sUAS never EVER have any kind of Right to space. We are required to always give right of way to any manned aircraft... PERIOD!

Here is the FAA ruling on "How low can the fly"

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes:
General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

a. Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

b. Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

c. Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

d. Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph B or C of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Pay special attention to section (d.) above. They can operate at pretty much ANY altitude so long as they do it safely and by the book. That's the caveat that most people don't get when they start talking about Min Alti for helo operations. Here is a brief snipper from the FAA as to why helo get this special allowance:
"Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft. The reason? The helicopter's unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is its ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power failure. Further, the helicopter's increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires added flexibility in the application of many FAA provisions."

Regardless you'll always want to keep your head on a swivel and your ears to the air so you can maintain See-And-Avoid at all costs. It's your responsibility to always give right of way to any manned aircraft in the air without exception. The burden rests solely and legally on your shoulders.

Safe Flights
Allen

1. Pilot error was the cause of the crash.
  2. A Phantom possibly in the area is a contributing factor...along with several others.

Reactions: Nesher
Cant help but think we are now in the situation where pilots will always blame drones for their errors.

If a pilot lands hard and damages a helicopter he will get sacked. But throw in the line "I avoided a drone" then he/she will be praised doing the right thing. Makes me wonder how many pilots have done that in the past.

Funny how UFO sightings have now gone down for any mishaps that occur with pilots

Take note that this has not been confirmed yet so take it as "news" until proven to be fact.

Let's discuss it but do so in a Civil way.

The incident on Wednesday involved a student pilot and an instructor, both of whom told investigators that a small drone appeared directly in front of them, according to a Charleston Police Department report. The instructor took over the controls and attempted to avoid a collision, and the tail of the helicopter hit a tree or brush, triggering a crash landing.......

Reactions: TBuggy
Cant help but think we are now in the situation where pilots will always blame drones for their errors.

If a pilot lands hard and damages a helicopter he will get sacked. But throw in the line "I avoided a drone" then he/she will be praised doing the right thing. Makes me wonder how many pilots have done that in the past.

Funny how UFO sightings have now gone down for any mishaps that occur with pilots
This whole tale gives a real perspective to the expression "Being nice to a fault." Like all the new car adds now showing people walking out into the path of a speeding car while buried in their phone. The smart car stops and saves the braindead human. I say, let the Darwin rule play out, disable that feature.

Yes, it was in the paper here in Charleston. They said the drone looked like a Phantom, but neither the drone or it's pilot have been located.

I probably missed it but was a drone recovered or drone operator identified? If not I can imagine that it did not occur that way at all. Low flying, inattention and embarrassment provide a more reasonable explanation.

Unless/until FAA provided definitive findings, I am going with my parsimonious explanation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94