What drones do when you're not looking

Reaction score
Here's a couple examples of flying behind mountain tops while bumping the 500 meter ceiling. Both times the phantom 4 came home---though I was really lucky. At 25 seconds I lost contact for about 30 seconds. During that time the drone landed, took off, and cleared the peak. In the second part I lost contact at 1:10 with same results--without the touch and go. In both instances the drone went above 500 meters to get home---the flight data shows 501 and 502 meters. What do you think? Will a drone break the rules to get home? Maybe it was a margin of error rather than purposeful behavior.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Don't know where you flew but in the states, the legal altitude is 400 feet. 500 meters would put up to 1500 or so feet. Nice video though. And what looks like a close call.

Sent from my iPad

Holy crap! A couple close calls! Congrats on the recovery, you were close to have a Phantom Popsicle!

Reactions: Simzy666
What If I follow a ridge to 1500 ft while staying in close proximity to the terrain?. Real close in this example. Is it 400 feet above take off point or .400 feet above the ground that concerns the drone police? In other words-- if I ascend the face of half dome without getting ten feet away from it--am I more than 400 feet off the ground? I'm obviously not endangering air traffic. And no, I don't fly up the face of half dome!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan