What can the Inspire do that the Phantom 2 can't?

Reaction score
I "should" be able to outfit a Phantom 2 with lightbridge, Hero4 Black, H4-3D gimbal, retractable landing gear, etc for about the same price as the Inspire 1. Perhaps even the Zeiss Cinemizer goggles.
I can take the H4 Black off and do other things with it. Skiing, ziplining, etc.

What can the Inspire do that the other cant? Or, in other words, which one is more worthy of the $4k price tag?

Inspire 1 is $2,900 or $3,400 with dual remote so I don't know where you get $4k from.

You should also ask the question of what can the Phantom 2 do that the Inspire can't and I know of at least 1 thing, Waypoint flying via Ground Station PC and iPad apps.

really the one thing that the Inspire has on the phantom is the so-called vision position system. Similar to the Parrot AR drone, it has an ultrasonic sensor and a camera for spatial positioning when gps is unavailable. it will allow for a much steadier hover and altitude hold at low altitudes, especially when indoors. The ultrasonic sonar gets readings of how far away it is from the floor/ground/obstacles beneath it independent of barometric pressure and a camera facing down analyzes the view to detect lateral motion and adjust appropriately.

The Lightbridge precludes the use of the Waypoint / groundstation flying, correct? As they are both on the 2.4 G frequency?

LostAngel said:
The Lightbridge precludes the use of the Waypoint / groundstation flying, correct? As they are both on the 2.4 G frequency?
Once you have uploaded and started the mission, you can disconnect the data link.

Light bridge built in
Ultrasonic sensors
More stable due to bigger props and wing span
Carbon frame structure
Dual antenna
360 degree camera
4K video resolution
24hours live support from DJI lol

thestone11 said:

What DJI actually mean by this, is that you only get support for 24 hours after you have bought it. ;)

Those marketing guys are red hot. :)

thestone11 said:
Light bridge built in
Ultrasonic sensors
More stable due to bigger props and wing span
Carbon frame structure
Dual antenna
360 degree camera
4K video resolution

If you can get jello-free performance from P2+H4-3D+H4 Black+5.4mm lens, the bigger props and wing span of the Inspire 1 just mean more overhead hassles when traveling, assuming case is bigger. Personally I see little value in second operator, 360 camera, and ultrasonic sensors. Plus my Futaba 14SG is awesome with other aircraft. So I'm not sold, especially since I've had good control and FPV up to 4km horizontal and 1.5km vertical.

Kelly

I don't own a inspire one but from reading it specification,The Phantom 2 has better flight time. I know it says we supposed to get 25 minutes but dont, can you imagine the inspire one..? Says 18 minutes what do you get in the real world?

Also my FPV set up I can get more than Lightbridge in range. What dji really need to do is focus on a drone which is going to last longer in the air 30+ mins. What the inspire one has is nothing new. these features can be added on easily onto a phantom.

Inspire flies further, faster, descends faster, stops faster. Its position hold is even more steady than the Phantom.
The Inspire does low light much better than a Phantom can and can do professional two operator shots.
It's also big, heavy and expensive and the batteries cost like poison.

loganboyd said:
thestone11 said:
4K video resolution
The GoPro H4B will give you the same video.
The difference would be the 170degree Fisheye vs the ~94degree rectiliner.

The difference is the ability to adjust the video/camera settings mid-flight. It's no big whoop to me as I do post editing. But let's say you are doing a live stream via Lightbridge of a concert and required to adjust ISO levels as the sun comes down. You will need to fly your gopro back and relaunch. If this concert was a 1k away then you may have an issue.

P2 / H4(3)-3D / Hero 4B / Lightbridge / Futaba radio:
  • Takes effort to set up
  • Highly portable
  • Better video quality than Inspire
  • Tuning required to get stable shots in the wind
  • Can do 360 pans without retracts
  • Fully customizable controls and 2 man operation capable
  • Radio, camera, Lightbridge, gimbal interchangeable with other platforms
  • DJI cares even less about you than before

Inspire:
  • Flies right out of the box
  • Faster and more stable in the wind
  • Has both GPS and compass gremlins
  • Problems with hinges
  • Imaging gremlins, lower quality output
  • You get actual support from DJI

Good lists. Would you elaborate on "and 2 man operation capable" under P2 list? Have you done this?

Kelly

Hughie said:
thestone11 said:

What DJI actually mean by this, is that you only get support for 24 hours after you have bought it. ;)

Those marketing guys are red hot. :)

Not 24 hours at all, around 20 is near to, because you'll need 4 hours for reading manuals and setting "my first take off" and if you're smart, you have to charge every component while reading... :lol:

wkf94025 said:
Good lists. Would you elaborate on "and 2 man operation capable" under P2 list? Have you done this?

Kelly

Lightbridge supports two controllers. I flew the gimbal on a very expensive Cinestar once which was great as I didn't want ANY responsibility for the main flight controls whatsoever. Personally, I've never seen the need on a P2 or Inspire.

I've thought about the upgrade but nowhere close to convinced that image quality has improved enough to warrant it. I have actually focused more on still images vs. video as I love the ability to take a shot and order it up on a 40x30 metal print (and please dont tell me to just pull a screenshot from a video unless your main goal is making avatars). I hate fisheye and adjust my shooting technique to minimize it with my P2 Hero 4 setup but for me to sell my P2 and buy an Inspire it would take a leap in image quality to make that happen. If anything, it makes me consider an S900 even more now. I do love the portability of the P2 setup, though. Traveling with the Inspire or the S900 would certainly mean checking it at airports.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl