What are you using for Video Editing Software?

Reaction score
I'm pretty new as a P3P pilot but my video content is building up,quickly! Was hoping to get some help on what everybody is using for editing software. I'm currently on my MacBook Air so Mac compatible is preferred but asking what everyone else prefers to edited & convert videos.
Use My iPad for flights via DJI GO app(some Litchi missions but not many thus far). Downloading all video files to my 2TB Time Capsule but would like to progress into editing & making something other then random 2-10min videos.
Also considering a youtube channel to post & share for feedback without trying to overload others with Gigs of video data. Where did you start, should try some free apps or go for iMovie, Adobe Pro, Final Cut etc. Any advise will be greatly appreciated & helpful.

Thank you all in advance

In an additional yet related topic:
I'd still consider myself a noobie but in the back of my mind i've always thought about making some form of income from arial footage. I've seen the craigslist ads & "pilot rental" posts after doing some research. Please don't get me wrong i've been into this hobby since my Align 450 build almost 10 years, where it all began, but the footage i'm getting now with my Pro in 4K is getting better & better but feel like i'm just going to continue filling hard drives while enjoying the flying& hobby. I won't stop either way because of the love for flying but whats the next step....anyone else out there thinking why not make a couple bucks, from this expensive "hobby", while enjoying doing what they love?
Editing software is a start but where to go from here.....

Thanks all

Don't forget that you need a license for any commercial income. Google Part 107 and follow the FAA links.

I have already applied for the 107 commercial registration. I'm waiting for the the August 107 exemption but registered as hobbiest & commercial now with current FAA status.

I use different ones depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. For the record I'm a "keep it simple" kind of guy in terms of software because I don't have a masters degree in special effects. Some of the options out there are phenomenal but also have a steep learning curve. All I can do is suggest what I use (Windows guy here) and hope they have a MAC version.

For simple cutting and such I use MovAvi. Very easy to use and some nice features for a small price.

For more complex work I'm trying out RESOLVE and thus far it seems fairly easy to use.

In terms of "making money" you'll want to research the FAA Part 107 (enter that into a search phrase and hit GO). You will need to get that completed once it's available (end of next month I believe) to be legal. And don't get fooled into thinking it's just a suggestion because Part 107 is codified which means it's a regulation/law with teeth.

As you have a mac, iMovie is the obvious choice and should already be installed on it and free.

If you want to up the game then final cut pro but it will cost. Though I would try iMovie to start with as its very capable.

The editing question gets asked about once a week... do there are hundreds of threads with answers to that question (it's always the same answers). So you may want to search for this information.

Look, i totally understand that this is going to get many different options & answers. I'm pretty new to Mac vs PC/Windows but my plan is to stick with my MacBook for the foreseeable future. iMovie was fun on my iPhone & iPad but does it really stand up to the 4K cinematic footage the P3P is providing me. I also understand that i'm sure this has been covered many times over but I've done lots of searching & just thought it would be easier to ask my own questions & begin a thread.

as for the FAA #107 commercial exemption thats may be a whole other story as far as where to go & how to get into that, for an income.

I would prefer to stick with VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE that most like on this forum for now & i'll work out the details with the regulations & FAA. Trust me i want to follow guidelines, fly by the book & not be "that guy" that makes it worse for all of you!!

Thanks again

I have a MacBook Pro and I use GoPro Studio, works fine for me, amongst Final Cut Pro and iMovie
Go here, it will install 2 programmes but you will only need the GoPro studio one :

https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/softwareandapp/gopro-app-|-desktop/GoPro-Desktop-App.html

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I started with a few smaller quads/drones & have a hero 4 black edition so I do have that software. Didn't consider that it would be the choice to consider for DJI video files. Makes perfect sense though! Thanks for your input.
Keep it coming PLEASE, I have so much footage & want/need to start the post editing very soon.

What about starting a YouTube channel to begin uploading my edited videos so that I don't have huge files to attempt to share & send around to begin my portfolio & get my footage "out there"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I don't even own any go pro equipment,
But I tried the go pro studio and it's all I use now.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I downloaded Wondershare Filmora and am really enjoying it. Once you figure out how it works, it's very capable and I've edited some really nice-looking footage with it. Download is free - play with it all you want but know that when you go to export the finished product you've just spent hours on, there's a GIANT watermark over everything. And if you searched on YouTube you would definitely not figure out how to get around that...

Don't forget that you need a license for any commercial income. Google Part 107 and follow the FAA links.

Not true. Or at least incomplete. You can sell video you shot under the hobbyist rules provided that at the time your intent was as a hobbyist. However, if your intent at the time of the flight, is to sell the video or are already being paid or compensated or expect to be compensated then, yes thats commercial.

For instance, you are on vacation and shoot a nice video of a kite festival your kids attend. Later you post that to youtube and someone from the kite festival contacts you about the video. You can sell or license the video (or images) to them and be paid for that. At the time of the flight, you were a hobbyist and the flight intent was as a hobbyist. If, however, you took the same vacation and shot the same video and then attempted to sell the video to the kite festival, then its reasonable to assume you intended the flight as a commercial flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl