weird fly away into tree and the water!

Reaction score
my p-2 with zenmuse h3 3d gimbal and go pro was just purchased a couple of weeks ago. i had s fly away early on and the danged compass would not calibrate in the nose down position. i seemed to have that resolved and did a couple of flights where it calibrated better than ever in the nose down position(it has always done the horizontal in less than a turn.
this time it went green in less than a turn horizontally and i turned it nose down and it just went to normal flashing green instead of yellow first.
the last time i used it was only about 4 miles away so i hesitatantly took it up a couple of feet and it hovered really stable. i went rt. then left then landed and then up a bit and tested again. all was perfect. then i went up a few ft. and it started going rt. i thought maybe i had a little stick activated so i let go of both to see if it would stop and hover but it just went faster to the rt. and nothing would stop it. i did not have time to put it in manual as it only flew about 20 ft. and hit a tree near a small backwater edie of the river..yep..upside down in the water! i ran in and grabbed it and started trying to get the battery out. i had turned off but when i tried to take out the battery it started to power up again and i finally got the battery out and removed the go pro,which was flashing different modes and turning off and on. i took out the battery from it after the tedious job of unscrewing the bracket.
then i took it all home and took apart everything and every connector inside the phantom. i also took what i could of the gimbal apart and then took canned air and blew the excess water out of everything.
then i took a warm blow dryer on high and blew everything until i had everything i could see dry. not much is exposed and i even took the naza m case off and it was dry inside.of course it could be fried already. at this point i am putting it all in my sunroom for the rest of the week just in case.
i know i could put it in rice but i think it will dry like this fine as there does not seem to be much hidden except maybe in the gimbal. i did unscrew what i could of the gimbal and blow it out as well.

not sure if anyone has had good luck with a fresh water dunk on these?
any thoughts are welcome and prayers are in order.
the worst part for me is i put it on a credit card and have not even made a payment yet..can i cry now?

Bummer.

I would wait much longer than a week for it to dry. I would physically tether it in the middle of an open field before launching again, if it does start up.

Fingers crossed for you. Hope it works.

on a side note: It seems my Phantoms require full turns, horizontally and vertically, to calibrate. I'd think something was weird if they calibrated as quickly as yours.

A couple of questions: Were you in Phantom mode or Naza mode? Did you wait and get confirmed Homelock and Satellite lock? Was the horizon around you obscured at all?

Drifting like you discribed sounds more to do with satellites or stick calibration than compass imo.

It sounds like you compass calibration is still off. Should be solid yellow, rotate full 360 to solid green, tilt forward 90, rotate full 360 to lights out. All this needs to be done away from all local sources of magnetic interference. No driveways, sidewalks, etc.

what Ianwood said, and make sure you're not taking off from a metal platform or roof of your car, this will definitely throw your compass out of whack. Also, you mentioned you had a crash early on and the Phantom wouldn't go nose down, if that first crash knocked the Naza FC loose, this can also cause the erratic flight. Open her up and make sure nothing is loose.

the area I was at was near the river which is in a valley so maybe not as many satellites as I could have in an open area but I started out doing the calibration normally with solid yellow turning to solid green horizontally then I turned it vertically and normally it goes back to yellow and then will flash green normally but in this case it went yellow to green horizontally and then when I pointed it nose down I got about a half a rotation and it started just flashing normal green lights as opposed to going yellow again but it did fly find four miles away from there before so even if it wasn't calibrated I think it should have been fine for that. My guess is because I had just added the pontoons to it even though it seems to be flying fine with it I think it had not adjusted to the extra wait and slightly different balance so that it started moving around so maybe in the future if I add anything to it I will take it out to a very wide open area to calibrate it and get it up at least 30 feet in the area with nothing around so if it goes a little crazy for a minute hopefully it will calibrate correctly and you never know I might just take a fishing rod with me with some fishing line attached to it next timeif I am lucky enough for it to work again

upon opening it up I did not see anything loose and I was having trouble with it calibrating nose down but that was not after a crash that was after two successful flights now it seems to calibrate break correctly but again this is the first time I've seen it go quickly in nose down to slow green as opposed to yellow 1st but it did / fast green lights eight lights I think it was and then go to SLO green despite not having the yellow in the nose down first

update: put it back together and it flashes front lights alternately and the rear lights will change from flashing yellow to solid yellow to calibrate the compass(which seems to read ok in the software) and will turn solid green when doing the horizontal calibration and when put vertical it will just keep flashing yellow with the front lights alternating and the phantom keeps beeping.
at least it turns on and i did get my go pro working. by the way i did not put the gimbal back on yet. i left it off with the grey cable unplugged from the board.
any ideas what they means?
it does say it needs an imi calibration but does not seem to do anything when i hit ok.
if the imu bad?
maybe i have a wire connected wrong?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl