Wedding video question

@batch0912 and other content creators, please keep on creating. Ignore the “haters” like @Fordie who are like the old peole sitting on the top deck of the Titanic, sipping Champagne as they are headed straight for an iceberg...

I haven’t seen @Fordie share with us a video HE (she?) created, only seen him (her?) cut down others.

@Fordie is a true internet hatter if their has ever been one, hiding behind a fake screen name. Unlike me, using my real name, providing links on my profile to my LinkedIn profile, Facebook, YouTube, and more. I put my real phone number on every channel that lets me.

Sorry @Fordie but we are going to keep on creating.

Amen to that!

Reactions: DougAles
@batch0912 and other content creators, please keep on creating. Ignore the “haters” like @Fordie who are like the old peole sitting on the top deck of the Titanic, sipping Champagne as they are headed straight for an iceberg...

I haven’t seen @Fordie share with us a video HE (she?) created, only seen him (her?) cut down others.

@Fordie is a true internet hatter if their has ever been one, hiding behind a fake screen name. Unlike me, using my real name, providing links on my profile to my LinkedIn profile, Facebook, YouTube, and more. I put my real phone number on every channel that lets me.

Sorry @Fordie but we are going to keep on creating.

Nailed it! Amen to that as well!

On reflection I did jump to that conclusion. The original post was about filming a family members wedding so yep I assumed it was a guest filming. So I apologise and had already. . I definitely don't hate content creators but I definitely think people should film by the rules and not just do it. As I said I would love to see the final edit. One thing I will say is that people who recommend caution or say your wrong are not haters. They have different views, if we didn't love drone filming we wouldn't be here.

I actually think its a terrible first dance video.
On reflection I did jump to that conclusion. The original post was about filming a family members wedding so yep I assumed it was a guest filming. So I apologise and had already. . I definitely don't hate content creators but I definitely think people should film by the rules and not just do it. As I said I would love to see the final edit. One thing I will say is that people who recommend caution or say your wrong are not haters. They have different views, if we didn't love drone filming we wouldn't be here.

I respect your reply.

I went back, looking at your comments previous to this thread as far as I could @Fordie I think we have gotten off on the wrong foot here.

From what little I could tell, you are in the wedding videography business outside of the USA. I admit we’re going to be coming at things from opposite directions. Our laws will be different. Also, I’m a Uncle Bob.

This is my “Uncle Bob photographer / videographer” wedding film. I was asked to make this film by the couple to be married and their parents.

I made this film with my iPhone 6S. Its my first wedding film and I’ve had no professional training. That makes me a “Uncle Bob.”

Uncle Bob is what the professional wedding photography / videography industry call amateur photographers / videographers at weddings who lack training, experience, or professional equipment. The term is intended to be derogatory, as they claim only professionals should be allowed to take photos or video record a wedding.

I became disturbed when I saw a YouTube video from a professional wedding videographer who edited a side by side comparison video showing how the professional wedding videographer was superior to the Uncle Bob. The professional went to great lengths to find the worst of the worst Uncle Bob for the comparison. A more realistic comparison would be to compare the professional videographer with the family YouTube vlogger, who is familiar with composition, subject movement, image stabilization, clear audio recording, multiple camera angles, drone cameras, editing, and carries only the necessary equipment in a lightweight backpack for mobility, a skill where the typical vlogger outperforms the professional wedding videographer.

I’ve heard of professional wedding photographers or videographers shock the wedding couple as they demand the bride and groom instruct guests to turn off cameras and smartphones, something called a unplugged wedding. Would you accept a limo driver insisting all guests arrive via professional drivers? Or allow the brides hair dresser insist all guest have professionally styled hair? Or accept the vickar demand that only they pray for the couple to be joined by marriage?

I choose to identify myself as a Uncle Bob videographer with pride. This Uncle Bob videographer has heard enough whining and complaining from the professionals.

♦️ Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the ark.♦️

A Uncle Bob wedding videographer will likely get the newlyweds the wedding video before the newlyweds leave for their honeymoon vs months of waiting from the professional. A YouTube vlogger knows how to avoid music copy-write issues far better then a professional wedding videographer. And a family member or close friend is far better suited to correctly tag all the right people as the video is shared on social media sites such as Facebook.

By no means am I implying a high-budget wedding video studio couldn’t create a film with greater production value. I’m sure professional wedding videographers can spot images in my video that are soft, or editing that could be smoother, or lighting that could be more cinematic. They will focus on technical aspects only professional photographers / videographers would notice, not the karma and spirit of the film. I’m not in a contest to see who can make the best wedding video. I made a wedding video that is more then was expected and I did it for free.

I’m showing what a amateur YouTuber without training, experience, or professional equipment can do as a solo shooter, with no prior wedding filmmaking experience. This loving couple had a beautiful, wonderful wedding day that was elegant, not extravagant. Rather then drowning in wedding expense debt, they kept things simple. They were able to purchase their first house due to having a down payment from the money they saved. Now, because of this Uncle Bob videographer, they can enjoy their wedding film in their own home.

This is a film about the wedding of Jennifer and Josh. It covers their ceremony, reception, plus bonus tips and outtakes. I gave this video to the coupe as a gift.

Wedding date: August 5, 2017

Wedding ceremony: Prince of Peace Church, Green Bay, Wisconsin

Pre-dinner reception: Brides parent home, Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Dinner, formal reception and dance: Swan Club, De Pere, Wisconsin

It was my great honor being entrusted to create this special wedding film for Jennifer, Josh, and their family. Best wishes Jennifer & Josh.

My first wedding video

Filmed with my iPhone, iPad and drone

Edited on my iPhone with iMovie iOS

No professional photography or videography training

Last edited:
Reactions: weldor
I actually think its a terrible first dance video. Wrong choice of tool for the job. No emotion filmed from too far away. That's why people hire professionals to do the job. There are better cameras and equipment for that particular task. I'm not saying it couldn't have been used. But it could have been used better and less. IMHO.
Fordie is right. Shooting weddings is what got me started which ultimately led me to a full-time career in corporate communications. Wide shots like this were only used as establishing shots. Other than that they never work for all the reasons just mentioned. Close-ups and slow-motion were the money shots back then. I had to turn business away I was so busy.

Go to YouTube and search "wedding films" for some of the most amazing wedding films you've ever seen. Drones are used, albeit sparingly but in some amazing shots. I would never deliver that clip to a customer.

Reactions: Fordie
Ahh so can we see the final edit please. You posted the video as an example of a first dance film so that was what I gave my opinion on, and it was just my own personal opinion for what that is worth.
If the footage was used as part of a first dance edit then yep, Great idea and I would love to see the final film. Please can we see it?
I think that was it. There's a music bed. I don't think this is a master shot to be edited into the media captured by the ground crew. I don't think there's another version.

Reactions: Fordie
@DougAles I think you did a great job with the wedding video using the iPhone and selective use of the drone.but it's not a professional film nor is it meant to be. It's good though. Yes your correct i do film weddings and other projects professionally but I haven't called anyone uncle Bob I shouldn't have used the word terrible and I have apologised for that already.I do stand by my thoughts though that the video as it stands doesn't work.
I get the impression that you don't care for professional photographers or videographers as you made sweeping statement about copyright music and social media but maybe I picked that up wrong. Just because I film for a living doesn't mean I don't appreciate all sorts of drone footage. In fact I enjoy watching it. This is why forums are a great place for light hearted debate and chat because we get views from all different aspects.
I will bow out of this debate and once again if I offended I apologise. Let's get back on track with no hard feelings.
I still don't think guests should fly drones at weddings or bring cameras. Lol.

in my opinion there's no such thing as too many pictures to be given to any wedding couple. no matter what those pictures are. You don't get married a second time to the same person. there should be an edited version, and then the wedding couples also gets everything shot.

Fordie is right. Shooting weddings is what got me started which ultimately led me to a full-time career in corporate communications. Wide shots like this were only used as establishing shots. Other than that they never work for all the reasons just mentioned. Close-ups and slow-motion were the money shots back then. I had to turn business away I was so busy.

Go to YouTube and search "wedding films" for some of the most amazing wedding films you've ever seen. Drones are used, albeit sparingly but in some amazing shots. I would never deliver that clip to a customer.

I’m sorry. Could you please point out to me where batch09 requested a harsh critique of his video?

As I was preparing for the wedding film I shared above I joined a wedding videographer Facebook group. I soon discovered that not only do professional wedding videographers put down non-professionals, they put down each other’s work. Opposite social behavior to any group I’ve ever experienced. They are just odd ducks.

The best way to find out, would be to call the FAA at (844) 359-6982 and ask them. I have called and and explained what I was wanting to do and they were very friendly and helpful. Good luck.

Reactions: Fordie and DougAles
in my opinion there's no such thing as too many pictures to be given to any wedding couple. no matter what those pictures are. You don't get married a second time to the same person. there should be an edited version, and then the wedding couples also gets everything shot.
Last comment then I'm outta here! I only had one guest ever potentially ruin one of my videos. Guests bringing cameras were never a threat, and video cameras back then were huge and too difficult to carry around at a wedding. Nevertheless, I welcomed extra video and photos, if available, to put into the final edit. The bride and groom were always appreciative when I included clips from a relative's camera into my final "pro" version.

Coming into this thread a little late, but back to the legality of the OP's proposed flight. Even under the interpretation offered by some that flying recreationally for someone else requires 107 certification, according to the FAA, it is the pilot's true intent at the time of launch that controls, regardless of what is done with the video later. If the pilot genuinely states the flight is recreational for himself, and later decides to share it with the bride and groom, and the entire wedding party, even if the bride and groom are totally unrelated to him, there is no requirement for a 107 certification. He could even later sell his video to the wedding videographer to integrate into the wedding video sold to the couple, as long as his true intent at the time of the flight was recreational, and no prior arrangement existed before the flight. Discuss. :cool:

You can not "Hobby/Recreation" FOR another person. If your intent is to "Create something to give away" you have now pierced the Hobby/Recreation/336 bubble and fully liable to all of part 107 rules and regulations.

It's NOT ABOUT MAKING MONEY people. It's much bigger than that. Obviously "making money" and "furthering of a business" is one path to pierce the 336 protective bubble but there are many more.

If you are not flying 100% completely within the 336 bubble (and flying FOR someone else even as a good gesture is not hobby/recreational) then you default to a Civil Operation. Civil operations are anything outside of 336 and include: Making Money, Flying for your work, Search & Rescue (SAR), and doing anything that is not 100% hobby/recreational. I repeat you can NOT Hobby/Recreational for another person.

One key difference is if you want to shoot this for your own personal enjoyment and for your own person viewing later that's fine. But if you are doing it to create something to give to someone else you are outside of your protective bubble. The line had to be drawn somewhere and regardless where it's drawn we will always find "Exception" to the rule but that's our problem. The law is clear on this and it's codified as such.

Big Al, this is a very interesting topic and an interesting interpretation that I’d like to explore further. I’m soon taking my test so I’m not trying to avoid part 107. I’d like to understand where your interpretation comes from. Are there advisory circulars or opinions rendered or case law supporting this “for someone else” interpretation. I’m a long time amateur/ hobby photographer. I love creating art. And with that love comes showing it off. Pics or vid of a little league game, for example, that I’ll post for participants to see. That’s very decidedly recreational for me. It seems that for the purpose of the “336 bubble” you are applying a very strict definition of hobby and recreation and I’d like to know if it’s your opinion or backed up with something more official or objective. Understanding this more deeply on an official level may help me on my test too.

It's YOUR daughter... not your daughter's friend etc. It's for YOUR enjoyment/pleasure not intended for someone else (even though you can share it). It's YOU flying for your daughter's event and you are capturing it for YOUR enjoyment.

If the school asked you to fly it for them then you are outside of YOUR hobby bubble.

If you're going to play in the FAA's sandbox (National Airspace System) then you're supposed to abide by the laws associated to the NAS. Do you have to? NEGATIVE! But could there be repercussions? Maybe (most likely not but still maybe).

It's not rocket science but for some reason (I think because you don't want to believe it's true) some of us just can't come to grasp that we are playing in the NAS and as such we have laws/rules we are to follow. Just because you "claim" something to be hobby/recreational does not make it so. I "claim" to be a handsome man whom ladies can't resist but we all know that's not the case except in my own imagination.
Where does the “daughter bubble” come from? ;-) Seriously though, where does it say doing for family members keep you inside the recreation bubble?

The Pharisees were very legalistic religious leaders. They follow the law so strictly, they actually missed what the intent of the law was for. We have people today that are the same way with the laws of the land. Because of their behavior and actions we have to take a lawyer with us everywhere to make sure it’s OK to do something. We have ridiculously gone too far.
And there really isn’t any true law that man makes. Laws have changed over the years because society has changed. Why aren’t illegals punished. They broke the law. The law is just what society dictates at the moment. Marijuana is federally illegal to use. States that make it legal should have federal aid cut off as is the law of the land. Money talks so they let things go. If we obey the law to the letter, but not popular opinion. People would be crying foul. Where is the law. There isn’t anything we do that we probably haven’t broke the law on.
So to sum it up. We are too legalistic and ridiculous. Let the 7year-old girl sell her lemonade. And let the man video his daughter’s wedding with a drone. He’s not taking money out of someone’s pocket. That’s what it’s all about.

If I take my drone to do a wedding video for a family member in which case friendship is the only condition... No money or business here. Do I need to have the 107 certificate?
My take is if you take the video for enjoyment and part of that enjoyment includes sharning the video any reasonable person woul consider it recreational. However if your friend thanks you by buying you a beer it becomes comercial. So my advise is look over your shoulder before acepting the beer, the FAA may have a secret agent at the reception. I would be more concerned with risk assesment,air space and the distraction of other guests.

My take is if you take the video for enjoyment and part of that enjoyment includes sharning the video any reasonable person woul consider it recreational. However if your friend thanks you by buying you a beer it becomes comercial. So my advise is look over your shoulder before acepting the beer, the FAA may have a secret agent at the reception. I would be more concerned with risk assesment,air space and the distraction of other guests.

What is recreational use of sUAS?

The recreational use of sUAS is the operation of an unmanned aircraft for personal interests and enjoyment. For example, using a sUAS to take photographs for your own personal use would be considered recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individualwould be considered a commercial operation. You should check with the FAA for further determination as to what constitutes commercial or other non-hobby, non-recreational sUAS operations.

what initially exposed by macoman, is not forcompensation nor sale.... isnt it ?

com·pen·sa·tion
ˌkämpənˈsāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. something, typically money, awarded to someone as a recompense for loss,injury, or suffering.
    "seeking compensation for injuriessuffered at work"
    synonyms: recompense, repayment,reimbursement, remuneration, requital, indemnification, indemnity, redress; More
    • the action or process of awardingsomeone money as a recompensefor loss, injury, or suffering.
      "the compensation of victims"
    • NORTH AMERICAN
      the money received by anemployee from an employer as a salary or wages.
      plural noun: compensations

sale
sāl/
noun
noun: sale; plural noun: sales

1. 1.
    the exchange of a commodity for money;the action of selling something.
    "we withdrew it from sale"
    synonyms: selling, vending; More

antonyms: purchase
    • a quantity or amount sold.
      "price cuts failed to boost sales"
    • the activity or business of selling products.
      "director of sales and marketing"
  2. 2.
    a period during which a retailer sells goods at reduced prices.
    "a clearance sale"
    synonyms: deal, transaction
    "they make a sale every minute"
    antonyms: purchase
    • a public or charitable event at which goods are sold.
    • a public auction.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94