Wedding video question

I can see both sides of the argument so what I would say is go speak with the venue. After all it's their property If they give you permission well great. However I would be suprised if they agreed without asking to see your insurance etc. Then phone your insurance company and ask them if they will cover you to film a friends / family members wedding. Interested to know the answer but I think I could guess.
All this nonsense about its just a camera..
Its not just a camera it's a sUAV with a camera. It has rules that don't apply to cameras. It has risks that are not associated with cameras. Nikon slrs don't fall out of the sky if the battery drops a cell or looses a prop (well I've not seen it lol)
I would never film a wedding for a family member with the drone without the correct permissions in place.
Perhaps I'm over cautious but thats me. I see the risks and its entirely your choice whether you want to take those risks.
But yep let's go to the park or beach and film, photograph stuff or each other for fun.. Absolutely. Two different things in my humble opinion.

yes!
Different points of view... But we all must take direction to law as well as common sense...
About the "flying cameras", I do not agree 100%. Last year a Canon SLR flew from the sky (second floor of my house), almost reaching me ... (my wife was furious with me). Another point of view that SLR cameras, yes, they fly.

Reactions: Wilbur and Fordie
View attachment 96116 View attachment 96115

While you are on the phone with Mr/Mrs Insurane, be sure to mention this is non-comercial a.k.a. personal / hobby. Oh, ask them what happens if you are flying ANYWHERE. If you have a personal umbrella liability policy like I do, your covered. If you have no relevant insurance, well then your not covered.

Fordie, I bet you wear a bike helmet.
Yep I do. I look at the risks and decided that I can possibly prevent a serious injury by wearing one. Not definitely but it may. It's called risk assessment Everyone can make their own choice on risk. However I would want to have good insurance and a crash hat if I was flying my drone at an organised event on private property With out permission of the venue or arguably without insurance. So as I said if the venue says it's OK.. Good luck and I hope it goes well.

Just wanted to point out that if you are keeping your drone 50 meters away from people then everybody in the photos is going to look pretty tiny.

Reactions: DougAles
10E18F2C-400C-4504-8ACC-876DF6EE9DE2.jpeg
47DB1F71-3C18-4DE3-B9EA-89B4031A2503.jpeg
Just wanted to point out that if you are keeping your drone 50 meters away from people then everybody in the photos is going to look pretty tiny.

Yup.

Reactions: Just Mark
QUESTION:

Do we all agree that when in doubt: "You should check with the FAA for further determination as to what constitutes commercial or other non-hobby, non-recreational sUAS operations." from a suggestion above?

Because while we all have opinions on the legality of flying without a 107 / 333 exemption, the FAA is the one who knows for sure.

If the original poster REALLY cares, then they should (IMHO) check with their Flight Services District Office and see what they say. Who knows, they might say it is perfectly fine. Or they might say there are TFR's in place that particular day, or something else.

But if the original poster doesn't REALLY care, then I guess no need to call FSDO. If they "kinda care but not really," then I guess it is ok to ask on forums like this.

yes!
Different points of view... But we all must take direction to law as well as common sense...
About the "flying cameras", I do not agree 100%. Last year a Canon SLR flew from the sky (second floor of my house), almost reaching me ... (my wife was furious with me). Another point of view that SLR cameras, yes, they fly.
Lol
QUESTION:

Do we all agree that when in doubt: "You should check with the FAA for further determination as to what constitutes commercial or other non-hobby, non-recreational sUAS operations." from a suggestion above?

Because while we all have opinions on the legality of flying without a 107 / 333 exemption, the FAA is the one who knows for sure.

If the original poster REALLY cares, then they should (IMHO) check with their Flight Services District Office and see what they say. Who knows, they might say it is perfectly fine. Or they might say there are TFR's in place that particular day, or something else.

But if the original poster doesn't REALLY care, then I guess no need to call FSDO. If they "kinda care but not really," then I guess it is ok to ask on forums like this.
Great answer and I look forward to hearing the result of the conversation as I hope the Op will check it out.

If I take my drone to do a wedding video for a family member in which case friendship is the only condition... No money or business here. Do I need to have the 107 certificate?

@malcam Some questions:

♦️Put the wedding aside. Is this area okay via B4UFly or the app of your choice?
♦️The wedding couple, are they good with this? They asked you to do this or made it clear they want this, right?
♦️Does the wedding couple have a professinoal photographer and/or videographer or are you it?
♦️What is your vision? Is this going to be short video clips or will it be edited into a wedding video with speaches, music, some video indoors at the wedding, some outdoors, etc?
♦️Can you get to the area in advace to grab some pre-wedding day content such as flying aroud the Church steeple?
♦️Is the drone your only camera or are you going to combine drone footage with content from other cameras?
♦️Could you make a dry run practice video, say at the bridal shower or rehearsal?
♦️Do you have a YouTube channel where I can take a peak at other videos you created?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
Macoman, I did what you are intending to do. I have expereince in this matter.

I don’t wish to argue with BigAl, he can ban me after all. So, rather starting a fight that I can not possibly win, I’ll state it this way. In the USA, not one person has ever been fined for doing what you propose. Not one.The fines are for other things, but not from flying for free where your output has no comercial interest intent. BigAl can’t possibly argue with this one.

I will leave arguing theoretical possibilities for the lawyer wannabes here that probably also would argue a 7 year old girls front lawn lemonade stand is illegal becasue she does not have comercial insurance, health inspection, sellers permit, doesnt collect sales tax, etc. They may even argue the little girl is a danger, so call out the SWAT team. OMG, our society is going to heck!

By the way, I’m an Americain that was raised in a day that when I was a kid, if a kid showed up on his bicycle wearing a bicycle helmet we would take a stick and hit his helmet until he took it off. We didn’t get “Particiapton trophies” and we were not woosies.

BIGAl wanting MORE laws and MORE restrictions then we already have? Thats as dumb as not knowing a liberal girl with a bump in her crotch is actually a dude.

Macoman, I do have suggestions that are specific to drone videography for a wedding event, but posting it here would take this comment off-topic. Should you start a new thread seeking drone videography advice specific to weddings, I’d welcome the opportunity to share what I learned.

So much ignorance in one post.

Reactions: Alpheus
Bless me Father.....I used my P3P to photo an area of a disc golf course for their landscaping, at a friend's request. No money, just out of friendship. No idea I was doing anything wrong at the time. Waiting for the knock on my door.....!

Just do it bro. It's all worth it in the end. The couple will surely love it. I tell you, an aerial video capture of a wedding especially their first dance is a real spectacle to behold. Capture the glorious moment and have fun! For your reference, here's a link to a video of a couple's wedding dance captured by a Phantom 4.

Just do it bro. It's all worth it in the end. The couple will surely love it. I tell you, an aerial video capture of a wedding especially their first dance is a real spectacle to behold. Capture the glorious moment and have fun! For your reference, here's a link to a video of a couple's wedding dance captured by a Phantom 4.
I actually think its a terrible first dance video. Wrong choice of tool for the job. No emotion filmed from too far away. That's why people hire professionals to do the job. There are better cameras and equipment for that particular task. I'm not saying it couldn't have been used. But it could have been used better and less. IMHO.

Reactions: lardron
I actually think its a terrible first dance video. Wrong choice of tool for the job. No emotion filmed from too far away. That's why people hire professionals to do the job. There are better cameras and equipment for that particular task. I'm not saying it couldn't have been used. But it could have been used better and less. IMHO.

go slowwwwww....... this is the aerial filming only. Edited with on site at ground level filming would be a fantastic Wedding Video.
Just for a technical question we are criticizing the other's creations, judging without seeing the final production.
There are some strong statements done by experienced people but they are maximizing the risks and the possible restrictions, cutting the pilots expectatives.
Macoman, go ahead observing all precautions. Have fun. Do it. Get experience, Do a nice video or images, be happy and make others happy too with your help and dedication. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!! Let us know your experiences.

go slowwwwww....... this is the aerial filming only. Edited with on site at ground level filming would be a fantastic Wedding Video.
Just for a technical question we are criticizing the other's creations, judging without seeing the final production.
There are some strong statements done by experienced people but they are maximizing the risks and the possible restrictions, cutting the pilots expectatives.
Macoman, go ahead observing all precautions. Have fun. Do it. Get experience, Do a nice video or images, be happy and make others happy too with your help and dedication. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!! Let us know your experiences.
Ahh so can we see the final edit please. You posted the video as an example of a first dance film so that was what I gave my opinion on, and it was just my own personal opinion for what that is worth.
If the footage was used as part of a first dance edit then yep, Great idea and I would love to see the final film. Please can we see it?

Reactions: lardron
Ahh so can we see the final edit please. You posted the video as an example of a first dance film so that was what I gave my opinion on, and it was just my own personal opinion for what that is worth.
If the footage was used as part of a first dance edit then yep, Great idea and I would love to see the final film. Please can we see it?

Yes sir !!!

Reactions: Fordie
I was being sincere lol I genuinely would like to see the finished film. Used as a cut away shot I think the film would be excellent. Again just my humble opinion. No offence was meant.

I agree with you.

Reactions: Fordie
I think @lardron was just suggesting that you respect other people's creations. If you have nothing good or constructive to say then zip it. Saying "terrible" to describe a person's work is so insensitive. My honest personal opinion is that it was a great footage. As a drone owner, you know that it requires skills and technical knowledge to cover that particular event in the wedding, which means doing that is NOT easy. So, please show some decency and keep your harsh words to yourself.

Last edited:
seeing the other photographers in the video on the ground that's one hell of an assumption on your part. Think before you post.
might have been better had you said Hey What a Beautiful video,( in which it was) would love to see a combined with the on ground video, good job. JMHO

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94