WARNING - major errors on 3rd flight after firmware update

I have already made 2 firmware upgrades (1.1.9 and 1.2.6) and no IMU calibration was needed .
If something is working good do not try to fix it. :p
I have seen some posts here recommending doing all kind of IMU calibrations RC rebinding just for the sake of having new firmware but honestly I do not see the need unless there is an additional problem with the aircraft
DJI does not say (or recommend) you have to make an IMU calibration or RC rebinding so unless it is really need, why to do so?
As for the OP problem I would suggest before going into degaussing and other practices, just resinstall the firmware again and check. Calibrate Compass and If needed, then try the cold IMU following precisely the instructions. If all this fails, then you have a problem and you need to explore other options.
However since all this started after the failed IMU calibration I believe this should be part of the solution.
Good luck and keep us posted

I am just throwing this out there after building racing Quad. Just wandering if some wires might be crossed, did you ever open the P3 to check all the connections inside. Something may have come loose inside or is really loose, only a visual inspection and feeling the wires will confirm everything inside is acceptable. Do you hear anything inside moving around when you do the DJI dance? Just some out of the box thinking for you problem. I know that some will say not to open you P3, but sometimes it is the only way. On my P2 FPV I found a crimped wire from the factory and had to replace it, remember that human hands do alot of the parts installation and they can mess up.

Reactions: bobmyers
I have already made 2 firmware upgrades (1.1.9 and 1.2.6) and no IMU calibration was needed .
If something is working good do not try to fix it. :p
I have seen some posts here recommending doing all kind of IMU calibrations RC rebinding just for the sake of having new firmware but honestly I do not see the need unless there is an additional problem with the aircraft
DJI does not say (or recommend) you have to make an IMU calibration or RC rebinding so unless it is really need, why to do so?
As for the OP problem I would suggest before going into degaussing and other practices, just resinstall the firmware again and check. Calibrate Compass and If needed, then try the cold IMU following precisely the instructions. If all this fails, then you have a problem and you need to explore other options.
However since all this started after the failed IMU calibration I believe this should be part of the solution.
yours is the first positive response that I have heard--- Thanks for sharing-- anymore out there??

If something is working good do not try to fix it. [emoji14]
Imu calibration goes fine, EXCEPT compass #s are all zero... It even says imu success..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is what happened to my camera after the update. Very pissed I did the update....
My camera was making the same noise when I first got it. I found that the gimbal hex screw was loose. After I tightened it, all of the noise and unusual camera behavior stopped.

Well the sooner I write the sooner I get some IMU issue. :oops:
During start up I got the "IMU needs to be calibrated" message and the gimbal tilted but after less than 30 seconds all went back to normal without me doing anything. All green Safe to Fly GPS, Gimbal in erected correctly.
I tested it doing several power up and in some cases I got a compass needs calibration message in other cases, IMU needs calibration and even in some case I got an IMU error that the MC is not conected to the gimbal or something like this. But after another power up all appears to be normal.
Another thing that called my attention is that despite having 15 satelites and GPS safe to fly message and the P-GPS switch in P-GPS and the MODE was indicating P-GPS on the App, on the Aircraft State Screen, on the Flight Mode it said P-OPTI. However recycling the Flight mode Swtich to P-ATT and then back to P-GPS, updated the Flight mode to P-GPS.
I have decided not to fly today since it was windy and I didn't want to experiment with the erratic IMU message. I have performed a COLD IMU Calibration and Gimbal and I will fly tomorrow morning for a careful test.
I am now worried that despite taking off well configured and calibrated, the IMU and compass go nuts and I lose control so I will make a careful test. Not happy flying when you are not 99% sure of the integrity of your aircraft systems.:rolleyes:

Well the sooner I write the sooner I get some IMU issue. :oops:
During start up I got the "IMU needs to be calibrated" message and the gimbal tilted but after less than 30 seconds all went back to normal without me doing anything. All green Safe to Fly GPS, Gimbal in erected correctly.
I tested it doing several power up and in some cases I got a compass needs calibration message in other cases, IMU needs calibration and even in some case I got an IMU error that the MC is not conected to the gimbal or something like this. But after another power up all appears to be normal.
Another thing that called my attention is that despite having 15 satelites and GPS safe to fly message and the P-GPS switch in P-GPS and the MODE was indicating P-GPS on the App, on the Aircraft State Screen, on the Flight Mode it said P-OPTI. However recycling the Flight mode Swtich to P-ATT and then back to P-GPS, updated the Flight mode to P-GPS.
I have decided not to fly today since it was windy and I didn't want to experiment with the erratic IMU message. I have performed a COLD IMU Calibration and Gimbal and I will fly tomorrow morning for a careful test.
I am now worried that despite taking off well configured and calibrated, the IMU and compass go nuts and I lose control so I will make a careful test. Not happy flying when you are not 99% sure of the integrity of your aircraft systems.:rolleyes:
I'm starting to think with all our messages and errors across all measures, it's a loose wire or cable?

Initially I though the same but I believe it is impossible that a hardware item such a cable connection is getting loose just right after firmware upgrade and in many different units at the same time.
I think it is a software glitch, either a false analysis or a software glitch that create the trouble itself. Funny thing is that now all appear to be ok and I surely have not touched any cables.

After reading a ton of responses to problems with Phantoms, one thing that seems to stand out is that if you do any firmware update, you need to go back and update all settings frome A to Z. I mean everything, do not take anything for granted. That means IMU, compass, controller or what have you. My thinking is that if you make an adjustment one place, that it will effect another place somehow or another. It is far better to go through the complete calibration of the entire Phantoms than to leave something out because DJI does not specifically tell you what is inter-related within the Phantom or any of their products. Just my thoughts on this.

After reading a ton of responses to problems with Phantoms, one thing that seems to stand out is that if you do any firmware update, you need to go back and update all settings frome A to Z. I mean everything, do not take anything for granted. That means IMU, compass, controller or what have you. My thinking is that if you make an adjustment one place, that it will effect another place somehow or another. It is far better to go through the complete calibration of the entire Phantoms than to leave something out because DJI does not specifically tell you what is inter-related within the Phantom or any of their products. Just my thoughts on this.
I completely agree .. One bottleneck is messing up every sensor. However, I have tried to calibrate every sensor, A to Z. I've reinstalled firmware. Tried apple/android. I disconnected gimbal, reconnected all cables.. All good. Imu cali says normal and succes, but clearly compass is 0-0-0.. I tried using a magnet to degaus it. Did a controller test, relink. All green except for those error messages I posted and also the gimbal going limp after its dance.

Any sort of RESET other than just powering it down? Any hard resets?

My camera was making the same noise when I first got it. I found that the gimbal hex screw was loose. After I tightened it, all of the noise and unusual camera behavior stopped.
It cant be just that...

The light above the camera blinks red and I have a gimbal motor overload error.

Truth is that I also lose a gimbal screw the other day. Luckly I found it on the Phantom case and I was abre to place it back.

By the way, after upgrading the firmware and calibrating the IMU, I have flown today with no problems at all other than the IMU warm up time that before the IMU Calibration was really short (2 seconds) and now it takes nicely one minute even with OAT around 25ºC.
But besides that and after carefully reviewing all indications and parameters, the Phantom flew real nice and steady and performed real good for a flight around 18 minutes.

Took it out to the golf course to do a second test flight to get my camera settings perfected.. Compass error right off the bat. OK.... So I try to calibrate and 4 new errors come up, "error your compass has interference" "error your firmware needs upgrading" "error your app is not up to date with latest version" "error irregularities with calibration (or something like that) " same spot I've flown for over a year to test my phantoms... Firmware is updated and was tested twice. App is up to date, flown it twice since Monday... ? And as for the compass... It wouldn't even let me calibrate. Weirdest thing... Nothing worked. Worst part in my eyes was this.. The camera gimbal was on when I poured up and , as soon as I hit calibrate it went straight LIMP with no motors and all blinking red lights.

Should I panic? Any helpful steps? Please be easy on me because I don't want a lecture on what I did wrong, moreso a way to fix it and not be completely depressed as I have a major shoot this weekend.

Could it be possible that we are suckers. DJI gives us firmware that causes our investment to go whacky. The **** thing should fly even better after a firmware update. New buyers should beware before they invest. If DJI sales start to slow down maybe just maybe us suckers will get some fixes. Or how about an apology for ripping us off.

Let us know if the problems still exist after you degauss the compass and recalibrate it in a location where there is no electrical or magnetic interference. I cant fly in my back yard without getting compass errors-- chain link fences on three sides. Over head power lines, towers, fences, rebar or wire in concrete will all affect the compass
So just where is it safe to fly our drones. Corn fields, alfalfa fields, the moon. There is metal, power lines, concrete, etc. just about everywhere to some degree or another. Why doesn't DJI put a caution on their website where they sell us this junk. They make cigarettes put warnings on their packaging. Its just frustrating to me.

Truth is that I also lose a gimbal screw the other day. Luckly I found it on the Phantom case and I was abre to place it back.

By the way, after upgrading the firmware and calibrating the IMU, I have flown today with no problems at all other than the IMU warm up time that before the IMU Calibration was really short (2 seconds) and now it takes nicely one minute even with OAT around 25ºC.
But besides that and after carefully reviewing all indications and parameters, the Phantom flew real nice and steady and performed real good for a flight around 18 minutes.
Well you seem to be one of the few that got lucky after your firmware update. Have you read about all that have updated and all is whacky? I'm one. Updated to v1.2.6 and my P3P flys very sh_tty now.

I successfully updated both the controller and the p3. I checked both text documents, all successfull. I confirmed the correct firmware on the device when powered up. Flew it twice. Then did imu calibration 2 days later, then all went to hell. I'm at work now so can't paste the log, but it's all up to date.

Join the club. We have been had by DJI. Put the word out. Maybe people will stop being sucked in to buying this junk. If DJI gets hit in their pocket book, maybe they will hurry up and put out a permanent fix to this disaster. The thing should work before they put it out on the market. If they put out new firmware, it should better the aircraft, not screw it all up. Read all the people that are having all kind of problems.

Starting to think this product is a high percentage lemon POS with minimal/delayed warranty claims.

Ya think? We been jacked. Read all the complaints. China is a Communist country. Its our own fault for doing business with such people. We got sucked in. Buyer beware. DJI: How about putting a bulletin out to all us suckers as to how, when you plan to fix our investments into your products.

Reactions: Ari
I know a lot of you are pissed that your quad is not working right, but there are thousands of us that are not having any problems. You just don't hear about us because you mainly see post of people with problems. Phantoms are very complicated. It is amazing that they work as good as they do. There are a thousands things that have to work right to get off the ground, but it only takes one thing to go wrong to make it not work right. Give DJI a break. If your bird is not working right and you can't fix it yourself, you are simply going to have to send it back and wait until they fix it. I know it sucks, but they simply can't send out a new quad to everybody that has a problem.

Reactions: Furia
You don't understand. The thing is supposed to work. This many people should not be having this many problems. Look how they advertise their product. These things are no small investment. The bugs are supposed to be worked out before they sell them. My drone will not hover like it was supposed to. Nor does it hover like it did before I installed the new firmware. Plus it drifts. There are problems with the VPS on or off. It doesn't do what its supposed to. Problems with the firmware. Error messages. Give me a break. I'm an American and Americans don't like to get ripped off. I'd give it back for a refund if I could. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one of these until they become a good value. I would not buy one if you are even thinking about it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl