Warning! Check for cracks at motor mounts

Reaction score

Might as well check your Phantom for cracks every once in a while.....

I always tried to figure out why I couldn't get rid of a annoying vibration in at least one of the motors. Ever since I had the P2 I had this tiny vibration in my shots and no matter what I did with dampening, calibrating or changing gains, it stayed.

Suddenly, just now(!), I noticed these cracks in 2 of the motor mounts. I have opened the P2 only once before and didn't notice anything back then. But it is clear now that at least one of the motors has a bit of play because of the cracks. Now I noticed this, I wonder if they were there all the time? It looks like the screws have been screwed too tight, or the shell had not been aligned correctly when they closed it up in the factory. And maybe they spotted it then and corrected it but the damage was done anyway.

Who knows, this bird hasn't crashed one single time, always landed without tipping, never anything odd.

Had already a lot of experience with flying, opening and closing the FC40, so I'm not a newbie who is likely to screw up a screw job himself.

I think it is grounded, don't you think? Need a new shell, dammit!
There goes another 55Euro's and a few weeks waiting and a few hours of rebuilding (kind of like that though).

Hmm, it's even 69 Euro's excluding shipping.

Would a few drops of cyancryllic glue make it safe enough?

Wondering also if the 9450 props have been causing this, I only flew 2 flights with them since I got them.

Funny, it's one of the rear arms motor mound. The other is a front arm but that crack is not around the motor screws.
At least no one can blame it on tipping over (which I never did anyway), never heard of a Phantom tipping backwards or sidewards :)

Last edited:
Props balanced? All 4 of mine were out of balance from the factory. Worth checking.

[off topic]
I've got very bad experience with toemen, and will never ever order something with them again!
[/off topic]

all props were perfectly balanced. They run vibration free on my FC40 for that matter.

So much for support! They offered me to send it to DJI to have a look which (they claim) will cost 9 weeks!
What a joke.

Not laughing now,...wait, there's another mail from them.....

"I've got very bad experience with toemen, and will never ever order something with them again!"

ME TOO!

ordered a shell at droneland, they are also quite close so I pick it up today :)
Thanks for the tip Noel!

I cant see your uploaded images.
I used a glue gun on all arms.
Glue%20gun.jpg

I cant see your uploaded images.
I used a glue gun on all arms.
Glue%20gun.jpg
I see what you mean, but do you trust that to stop it from cracking further?
Hot glue works best with larger contact areas. I think i should buy extra thin cyancryanide, it's so thin, it even works itself into a hair crack. But I ordered a new shell anyway.

Might as well check your Phantom for cracks every once in a while.....

I always tried to figure out why I couldn't get rid of a annoying vibration in at least one of the motors. Ever since I had the P2 I had this tiny vibration in my shots and no matter what I did with dampening, calibrating or changing gains, it stayed.

Suddenly, just now(!), I noticed these cracks in 2 of the motor mounts. I have opened the P2 only once before and didn't notice anything back then. But it is clear now that at least one of the motors has a bit of play because of the cracks. Now I noticed this, I wonder if they were there all the time? It looks like the screws have been screwed too tight, or the shell had not been aligned correctly when they closed it up in the factory. And maybe they spotted it then and corrected it but the damage was done anyway.

Who knows, this bird hasn't crashed one single time, always landed without tipping, never anything odd.

Had already a lot of experience with flying, opening and closing the FC40, so I'm not a newbie who is likely to screw up a screw job himself.

I think it is grounded, don't you think? Need a new shell, dammit!
There goes another 55Euro's and a few weeks waiting and a few hours of rebuilding (kind of like that though).

I had the same problem with my PV2. Replaced the shell but before I reassembled everything I mixed up a batch of high strength epoxy and literally poured it around the motor mounts so that it would be less likely to happen again.

Good thing I did because I discovered a hair line crack was already in one of the new shell arms.

I have always balanced props and even used a strobe to make sure the blades were tracking normally to avoid any vibration. You have to be VERY careful not to over tighten the screws and that the motors are fully and properly seated before you tighten anything. I tighten mine until they just touch and then about 1/8 turn more. I rely on the thread lock to hold them. But I do check them frequently to make sure they are still in place.

Reactions: lake_flyer
Certainly worth looking at.
I also thought about getting an entirely different frame and use all the phantom innards. But i like the Phantom form factor. It's clean and distinctive and fits in a regular backpack, at least mine.
before i switched to a F450 frame,i almost went with the Fat Phantom. looks just like a Phantom only bigger,everything fits.
it is the size of a F450

I've got cracks like this on a 1 month old pv2+

Shocking build quality. DJI should be ashamed. I got the brush off from the dealer and was told 12 weeks for DJI to check and that the case is not covered by warranty (Heliguy UK)

I've got cracks like this on a 1 month old pv2+

Shocking build quality. DJI should be ashamed. I got the brush off from the dealer and was told 12 weeks for DJI to check and that the case is not covered by warranty (Heliguy UK)

I infer you have bought in the UK. I think you could have an excellent case under the Sale of Goods Act. Providing the damage has not been caused by accidental damage (e.g. crash) the "warranty" is irrelevant. The product needs to be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

See http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

I had the same problem with my PV2. Replaced the shell but before I reassembled everything I mixed up a batch of high strength epoxy and literally poured it around the motor mounts so that it would be less likely to happen again.

Good thing I did because I discovered a hair line crack was already in one of the new shell arms.

I have always balanced props and even used a strobe to make sure the blades were tracking normally to avoid any vibration. You have to be VERY careful not to over tighten the screws and that the motors are fully and properly seated before you tighten anything. I tighten mine until they just touch and then about 1/8 turn more. I rely on the thread lock to hold them. But I do check them frequently to make sure they are still in place.

How do you balance the props?

TBH, I'm happily flying the thing, and I'll check the cracks and fix as I go. I'm just not interested in 12 week wait followed by stroppy emails followed by solicitors letters, etc. I don't currently have much hobby time (which is partly why I went RTF instead of self-build).

The quad has not been crashed/tipped (it hardly touches the ground at all since I hand-catch), there are many others who have these hairline cracks on the motor mounts. You'd think that DJI would be embarrassed, react quickly and stand by their brand/design? These things are not cheap, it's a real shame because the quad really is quite brilliant to fly and the pics/vids are wonderful.

I infer you have bought in the UK. I think you could have an excellent case under the Sale of Goods Act. Providing the damage has not been caused by accidental damage (e.g. crash) the "warranty" is irrelevant. The product needs to be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

See http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Thanks all for the reactions. I'm ging to follow the advice to pour a layer of epoxy, maybe even with a piece of glass matt. I will do that in both shells. Going to paint one of them in the coolest way I can think off.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl