Vortex ring state Death Drop

Reaction score
Is my P2 more susceptible to the dreaded Vortex Ring State death drop flying from a starting elevation of 7000 feet? I ask because Ive had 3 death drops in 7 flights, yes decending with forward momentum, and the last crash landing exploded my 3D gimbal. Obviously the legs should be longer to protect the gimbal and gopro.

The higher you go, the thinner the air. The thinner the air, the faster the props have to spin to generate the same lift.

When I am higher than 200f from the ground I descend in short stages and keep moving in any direction left right forward,

I have never flown in higher elevations but what what PCDan says makes perfect sense.

KG4MXV said:
When I am higher than 200f from the ground I descend in short stages and keep moving in any direction left right forward,

I have never flown in higher elevations but what what PCDan says makes perfect sense.

My house is at 7000 ft, so the air is obviously thin even at take off. It seems like the P2 has a very difficult time EVER descending without getting wobbly and unstable. I assume the best thing to do is always descend slowly, and have good horizontal directional momentum at the same time I am descending.

It's interesting to hear other peoples experiences of a low powered drone at altitude. Airfoils become less efficient and small low powered light aircraft start to struggle during certain phases of flight at altitudes lowers that 7000'. I'd use full power during take off, fly smoothly and as you say descend carefully with a power on descent especially if it's a hot day and you are carrying a GoPro, Gimbal and Camera .

I should probably now get a tracker if the P2 is very prone to just dropping straight down out of the sky during descents. I will get the longer legs to protect the gimbal and camera as well. Hopefully DJI can fix the gimbal for a reasonable fee.

If you are going to fly regularly at that altitude, why not research some other props? Perhaps a little more pitch on the props would help things, and give you more thrust in the thinner air.

I live at 5500' and suddenly started having VRS drops... stock DJI blades with carbon blade guards. I'm hoping that ditching the guards will make it less susceptible...

It's pretty unfortunate it handles descents so poorly. More frustrating is that sometimes it does just fine. Sometimes it will drop!

doug86 said:
If you are going to fly regularly at that altitude, why not research some other props? Perhaps a little more pitch on the props would help things, and give you more thrust in the thinner air.

Thanks, I will look into other props. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

frare bear said:
I live at 5500' and suddenly started having VRS drops... stock DJI blades with carbon blade guards. I'm hoping that ditching the guards will make it less susceptible...

It's pretty unfortunate it handles descents so poorly. More frustrating is that sometimes it does just fine. Sometimes it will drop!

Yep, it pretty unpredictable and frustrating. If the P2 is close enough I can hear the motors starting to go nutty in the prop wash and correct before it gets sucked into the free fall. I guess unless new props help out I will try to only descend when I know I can find it if it goes into a VRS drop.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl