Vision + owners buying or not buying a Dji inspire 1

I have to hand it to DJI. They do produce a lot of innovation and put it in a nice package. That said, they should be spending way more on customer support, and authorizing repair centers to do "factory" repairs. 6 weeks of waiting for simple fixes is ridiculous. Language barrier replies that don't make sense is frustrating. But for me, faulty engineering that is "fixed" in new versions, while the eager, early adopters are left to modify their birds without any recall, upgrade, or part replacement program is just sad.

As I've said, I am now comfortable with my P2V+ version 1. GPS issues are no longer a concern since the foil mod. I have a tracker (Flytrex Live 3G). My ND filter and petal lens cover helped improve my videos. FPVLR.com gave me fantastic capability and solid video at 640 30 fps. I have a "new" version 3 WiFi unit in a drawer, just waiting for my current one to burn out. I have an extra camera/gimbal assembly in the same drawer (snapped ribbon cable awaiting my attention). My new gimbal is now safe with KillerRC's inertia guard. I have two working batteries after an original one got a bad cell out of no where. I've modded my original controller to have tilt control. I've spent well over $1500 in repairs, mods, and add-ons. I've spent 100's of hours reading this and other forums and working on my bird. I'm done.

I will now be focusing on shooting incredible videos, as legally as I can, while repairing whatever else breaks (bad motor, bad ESC, etc.)

Mako79 said:
Though I'm not buying one, I do think its worth the money if it's 3k or less. However, you will need consider a case, 2/3 batteries, some UHS 60+mbs memory cards which may add another 1k on top. And maybe 2k PC rig that can handle 4K editing/processing. 4k is a very niche market at the moment.

I would have jumped on this if the unit was collapsible and phantom sized. Everyone I've seen travelling with this unit have been using Vans/large vehicles. You can't simply throw it the boot, or put it in the overhead carryon compartment. Imagine travelling overseas and having the luggage handlers throwing the inspire around.

Dji just announced that the inspire one with come with case from the factory instead of cardboard box .

There is a talk of a compact"travel mode " that will allow it to fold into a more manageable size.

The camera assembly is removable and from the looks of it sturdier than the vision +

Sturdier so when it flys away you have less pieces to pickup.
I'll wait awhile before I give them 3k. Price will come down anyway. No sense paying a premium to be a beta tester.

Definitely, they reps who test the new products and give them feedback. some are forum members.

Welp, I'll give it the 'it looks cool' thumbs up.

Did anyone notice when the 'crew' was flying the Inspire near the lighthouse how the video was slanted. More so than with my "cheapeer" P2V+? Go back and look at about 6:14 to 6:28. Yeesh! Looks like I'm flying a fixed wing aircraft at a constant bank!

As others have said, with my limited experience here so far... I'd let LOTS of others beta test the new stuff. Get it along about version five or so. By then the bugs might be worked out!

Flying and filming/photographing is a hobby of mine. I'm not one of those self proclaimed professionals. The Inspire 1 is way outta my price range. Its not a hobby grade quad anyway.

To justify the financial cost of an Inspire 1, I would have to be sure that it was rock solid.

From my experience with my two P2V+, multiple issues with Phantom software updates (for example the v2.6 battery firmware that bricked genuine DJI batteries), 200 flights later and last week's actual flyaway (*), there is no way I'm buying a new DJI product. I'm going to wait 6-12 months and see what people's experiences are like.

Speculating that 9 months after the Inspire 1 comes out there will be a Inspire 1+ with an improved camera, actual 1080p LightBridge live streaming and many bugs sorted out.

My actual flyaway incident:
* http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30877#p282613

A few months ago everyone was raving about the Walkera Tali H500 hexacopter and how it was going to piss all over DJI and put them out of business. Hmmm, strangely quiet on that front these days, isn't it?

I am happy with my V+. I also have a P2V and previously owned a Phantom 1 that ended up in the sea due to pilot error. For me, £1k is a great price for what really is a serious piece of kit.

Would I get better videos using an Inspire? Probably not. I am a rank amateur (and not even very good at that!) so to spend £3k plus extras, case, batteries etc simply isn't justified.

So I'm not, and won't be, inspired.

I want one, bad, but DJI has a pretty notorious history with taking money to let people beta test their hardware. The "1" following the Inspire moniker is synonymous with "beta." If this thing was half the price I might risk it, but for 3K I'm more than willing to wait 6 months or a year to let the bugs get shaken out, and that includes the wobbly gimbal during transition. Waiting for Inspire 2 may not be within my patience threshold, but certainly a "+" is.

Godspeed to the beta team!

P.S., happydays, I was one of those Tali H500 supporters, and I can attest to the fact that they're unadulterated poo poo. Never gain. That was the biggest waste of $1800 I've ever been embarrassed to lose.

varmint said:
P.S., happydays, I was one of those Tali H500 supporters, and I can attest to the fact that they're unadulterated poo poo. Never gain. That was the biggest waste of $1800 I've ever been embarrassed to lose.

I wondered what happened there. What were the big issues (not to hijack the thread too much...). On paper it looked great - the ability to film around a fixed point was awesome for me. Wish DJI would come up with this for the Phantom range! Quickly!

happydays said:
varmint said:

I wondered what happened there. What were the big issues (not to hijack the thread too much...). On paper it looked great - the ability to film around a fixed point was awesome for me. Wish DJI would come up with this for the Phantom range! Quickly!

I was a "**** hair away" from clicking the buy now button on the Walkera . So glad I didn't !
Walkera look cool that's about it .

I hope the inspire 1 has more than the cool factor.
Will report back with some photos after seeing it in person.

Jstic said:
msinger said:
If you do buy one, it would be a good idea to hang onto your Vision+ as a backup. Most new technology is not perfect. Who knows what kind of flaws will turn up.

I wish a lot of the unhappy DJI owners could own a Walkera or another competitor for a couple months. Go check out their forums. The problems and complaints with Walkera are tenfold what they are with DJI. This is cutting edge technology that has to coordinate aerodynamics, GPS, WIFI, radio control,a camera that captures HD video, computer software across multiple platforms and more. The R & D alone takes years, not to mention debugging.

Think about cell phone technology and how long it took to get where we are today(which is far from perfect). And cell phones don't have to be designed to operate at speeds up to 30 mph, at 2000 feet above ground, and in different environmental conditions. In a few short years that quads have been on the market, what we have is not bad for $1200. Not perfect and it can be improved, but all things considered a pretty good deal.

I want to see some video from the inspire. From what I understand it's considerably more expensive than the P2V+ so I would assume the video quality is much better.
+1

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl