Vision + owners buying or not buying a Dji inspire 1

Reaction score
I would like to get everyone's take on the dji inspire 1
It costs little more than double a vision plus but if you were to build a phantom with similar features , it would cost you more...

I will be checking out one in person this week end at the Los angles drone show before making a final decision.

Personally , I like the speed and agility of the inspire 1

So , who is buying and who is not ?

If you do buy one, it would be a good idea to hang onto your Vision+ as a backup. Most new technology is not perfect. Who knows what kind of flaws will turn up.

msinger said:
If you do buy one, it would be a good idea to hang onto your Vision+ as a backup. Most new technology is not perfect. Who knows what kind of flaws will turn up.

I would keep a hubsan x4 as a backup :)

I purchased the Phantom 2 Vision Plus when it first was released.
I got version 1.
Then version 2 came out.
Now version 3 has come out 6 months later, with huge improvements and fixes for the myriad of issues ver 1 and ver 2 owners have had to deal with.

If I am going to spend close to 3K on a film platform, I'll let the original Inspire pilots do the leg work and beta test DJI's first effort. I'll pick one up after six or seven months and the release of ver 3. No more hair pulling, late night forum searches, and poor performance.

I now have my P2V+ running very well with predictable GPS signal, range, and camera function. I''m happy.

DrJoe said:
I got version 1.
Then version 2 came out.
Now version 3 has come out 6 months later, with huge improvements and fixes for the myriad of issues ver 1 and ver 2 owners have had to deal with.

If I am going to spend close to 3K on a film platform, I'll let the original Inspire pilots do the leg work and beta test DJI's first effort. I'll pick one up after six or seven months and the release of ver 3. No more hair pulling, late night forum searches, and poor performance.

I now have my P2V+ running very well with predictable GPS signal, range, and camera function. I''m happy.
+1

DrJoe said:
I got version 1.
Then version 2 came out.

Good point. Wishful thinking would say dji learned a lesson or two from the vision + and will be doing a lot more qc'ing .. But then again it's a new platform with new technology ....

I think there will be a bunch of better U.S. companies selling better UAVs by the time I'm ready to purchase again in a year or two. I doubt I will buy another DJI product, just based on that.

msinger said:

I wish a lot of the unhappy DJI owners could own a Walkera or another competitor for a couple months. Go check out their forums. The problems and complaints with Walkera are tenfold what they are with DJI. This is cutting edge technology that has to coordinate aerodynamics, GPS, WIFI, radio control,a camera that captures HD video, computer software across multiple platforms and more. The R & D alone takes years, not to mention debugging.

Think about cell phone technology and how long it took to get where we are today(which is far from perfect). And cell phones don't have to be designed to operate at speeds up to 30 mph, at 2000 feet above ground, and in different environmental conditions. In a few short years that quads have been on the market, what we have is not bad for $1200. Not perfect and it can be improved, but all things considered a pretty good deal.

I want to see some video from the inspire. From what I understand it's considerably more expensive than the P2V+ so I would assume the video quality is much better.

DrJoe said:
I got version 1.
Then version 2 came out.

Ditto

I'm willing to let somebody else do the beta testing for DJI. Once more than a few are out and about then we can see where it stands.

Given the price point this is not directed at the core of the Phantom market, so I'm not sure how many would consider buying one in the first place.

Me, I'm leaning towards 3DR after the Phantom money pit. I think they are going to leap frog what DJI has to offer and be more reliable. Or at least that is my hope. PixHawk open source platform is much more appealing for my needs. The DJI SDK comes with strings...before you say they're the same.

Honestly I hear more people talk about looks rather than function when referring to choice. And no doubt DJI hit the mark with the Phantom series (Iconic) and as they will with the Inspire, again regarding looks alone. Look at all the media photos and videos, Phantoms....

I own two AR drones, never had a day of issues with either. The bug shape was never a threatening appearance like an open frame design. So reliability can be made from the get go and "look" good.

Though I'm not buying one, I do think its worth the money if it's 3k or less. However, you will need consider a case, 2/3 batteries, some UHS 60+mbs memory cards which may add another 1k on top. And maybe 2k PC rig that can handle 4K editing/processing. 4k is a very niche market at the moment.

I would have jumped on this if the unit was collapsible and phantom sized. Everyone I've seen travelling with this unit have been using Vans/large vehicles. You can't simply throw it the boot, or put it in the overhead carryon compartment. Imagine travelling overseas and having the luggage handlers throwing the inspire around.

I did consider the inspire, but I ended up getting a second phantom 2, this time rigged with the Gopro.
It has its limits, but I just like how you can detach the gopro and use it for other purposes.

Mako79 said:
Though I'm not buying one, I do think its worth the money if it's 3k or less. However, you will need consider a case, 2/3 batteries, some UHS 60+mbs memory cards which may add another 1k on top. And maybe 2k PC rig that can handle 4K editing/processing. 4k is a very niche market at the moment.

I would have jumped on this if the unit was collapsible and phantom sized. Everyone I've seen travelling with this unit have been using Vans/large vehicles. You can't simply throw it the boot, or put it in the overhead carryon compartment. Imagine travelling overseas and having the luggage handlers throwing the inspire around.

I did consider the inspire, but I ended up getting a second phantom 2, this time rigged with the Gopro.
It has its limits, but I just like how you can detach the gopro and use it for other purposes.

1. $1K for CF cards? Are you kidding? What kind do you buy? 2. 4K? No one I know (professionaly or personally) even cares about 4k here in the US at the moment. Not to mention the storage issues for so large of files and 3. you mentioned you're seen 'everyone...' traveling??" Just who do know that has even gotten one of these? I'm interested to know!

MapMaker53 said:
I think there will be a bunch of better U.S. companies selling better UAVs by the time I'm ready to purchase again in a year or two. I doubt I will buy another DJI product, just based on that.

I feel the same way. I saw the Inspire last weekend at the DJI class in Denver. Two things surprised me about the Inspire: the size/weight and how quiet it was! I loved the looks and it was significantly quieter than my P2V+. When I picked the thing up I was shocked; it's a substantial machine. The size alone made me decide it wouldn't be the bird for me as I tend to hike and travel a lot with my P2V+. Another factor that would play into this is how much you are willing to risk if (when) you wreck the thing. I own two P2V+ which gives me a great backup. I'm excited to see what GoPro or others come up with. For me, I'm willing to wait. I hope to never deal with DJI again - incredibly crappy customer service. I love the bird but I dislike the company.

Prylar Bek said:
Mako79 said:

1. $1K for CF cards? Are you kidding? What kind do you buy? 2. 4K? No one I know (professionaly or personally) even cares about 4k here in the US at the moment. Not to mention the storage issues for so large of files and 3. you mentioned you're seen 'everyone...' traveling??" Just who do know that has even gotten one of these? I'm interested to know!

Maybe I didn't make it clear, A case + 2/3 batteries + 64gigs UHS1 card(s) = guestimate of 1k.
And I did mention 4k is a niche market. But you need to remember that this is targeted at "PROSUMERS" and would want this feature.
Here's a "leaked" youtube clip where they are travelling with it for 5 days. It's not small..
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8OtHdrSq2E[/youtube]

Oh no! not this coozy again and another dreadful 'behind the scenes'...please...you know she's a "...cinematographer..." I'll bet the people who actually are cinematographers and use that phrase would like to chtat with her..anyway, it is BIG. I'll wait. Let the big boy beta testers have at it...

I got my deposit back after seeing the issues during the live streaming roll out. Vibrating camera, Black screen video. I felt as much as DJI made a big deal out of the big announcement, and have those type of issues taking place was not good.

Then it just doesn't seem right to spend over $3k for a setup that requires two people to operate in order to use it as it was intended for.

Btw, I'm installing my nice new v3 parts now on my vPlus.

It will be interesting to see if DJI brings some to the DroneExpo this weekend....hmmmmmm

Jstic said:
msinger said:

I wish a lot of the unhappy DJI owners could own a Walkera or another competitor for a couple months. Go check out their forums. The problems and complaints with Walkera are tenfold what they are with DJI. This is cutting edge technology that has to coordinate aerodynamics, GPS, WIFI, radio control,a camera that captures HD video, computer software across multiple platforms and more. The R & D alone takes years, not to mention debugging.

Think about cell phone technology and how long it took to get where we are today(which is far from perfect). And cell phones don't have to be designed to operate at speeds up to 30 mph, at 2000 feet above ground, and in different environmental conditions. In a few short years that quads have been on the market, what we have is not bad for $1200. Not perfect and it can be improved, but all things considered a pretty good deal.

I want to see some video from the inspire. From what I understand it's considerably more expensive than the P2V+ so I would assume the video quality is much better.

Wow ! I thought I wrote that .. Exactly !!
Theses guys have no idea what the other chinese knock offs are like... Check out rcgroups Walkera Scout X4 threat..

Prylar Bek said:
It will be interesting to see if DJI brings some to the DroneExpo this weekend....hmmmmmm
I was told that Dronefly will have theirs on demo !
Pm me your info to meet there in person.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4