Virtual Reality on a Phantom 3 Standard - Yes it does work!

Reaction score
In case you are interested in going with a set of Virtual Reality goggles on a Phantom 3 Standard using Litchi.

Using a Mattel View-Master VR Viewer I found on clearance at Walmart I figured I would give it a try. I used it with an old Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and with my Samsung Note 4. It works but I didn't disable the gimbal control and I thought I had an issue when I first connected it because the camera was pointed straight down.

I would imagine it would work with Google cardboard and most any VR goggles since it works with this cheap ones. I added a head strap and removed the front lens cover from the goggles to reduce the heat from the phone (my Note 4 puts off a lot of heat when flying).

I have Litchi set up to automatically start recording video on liftoff since I don't know any other way to take a picture or start recording with the phone inside the goggles. I then use VLC video player's capture snapshot option for any pictures I want to use.

I think they will be more of a novelty for someone to view the video after it is edited than me really using them while flying because I like to have line of sight when taking off and landing. However if you plan flying with them I suggest you remove them for landing or when close to trees and use a lanyard to help hold your transmitter.

If you give it a try let me know how it works out for you.

Last edited:
May I make a friendly suggestion?
If yes...edit your post and remove the colored font. It is difficult to read, and I for one won't read colored posts.

If no, disregard.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: telescott
May I make a friendly suggestion?
If yes...edit your post and remove the colored font. It is difficult to read, and I for one won't read colored posts.

If no, disregard.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Ok thanks for the advise. I changed it.

Tele

Interesting. I'd like to see more videos when your weather there permits. Maybe some more details how you hooked everything up, what you like and dislike about the setup, etc. How much were the goggles on close-out?

Reactions: DonnieM304
Interesting. I'd like to see more videos when your weather there permits. Maybe some more details how you hooked everything up, what you like and dislike about the setup, etc. How much were the goggles on close-out?
The goggles were $15. I simply put the phone in the goggles and flew. Since it is a P3S it works on wifi so I didn't need anything special to connect it. But I do plan to drill a hole for the usb cable to go in and connect to the phone so I can keep it charged with a 2S battery I already have.

I really did the video because on another thread someone wanted to make sure it worked before buying a set of goggles. I started a new thread to make it visible to more phantom Pilots users. I will post more videos next time I fly with it.

Using VR Box (v.2). Came with a bluetooth controller, for VR games I suppose, which I don't use with Litchi.

Takes a bit of getting used to. My phone also gets very hot after use.

MonEygA.jpg

qoHWr6x.jpg

BIcjruw.jpg

Using VR Box (v.2). Came with a bluetooth controller, for VR games I suppose, which I don't use with Litchi.

Takes a bit of getting used to. My phone also gets very hot after use.

MonEygA.jpg

qoHWr6x.jpg

BIcjruw.jpg

Are the VR Box ones comfortable to wear? These ones are not

Are the VR Box ones comfortable to wear? These ones are not
Yes. It has soft padding all around the edges and the straps are wide as well as fully adjustable. This is my first and only VR goggle so I can't compare it with any other. But for a $20 something, it's pretty well-made and comfortable for the price.

Ok so I'm lost. How does the phone get into the split screen??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ok so I'm lost. How does the phone get into the split screen??

When using Litchi there is a VR option and when selected it switched the phone to the split screen.

Ah. But only available on Android. Shoot. I was about to go to Wally and buy the goggles

Are there any apps for VR on iOS? Or do we just need to wait for Litchi to implement it? Sorry if this has been covered somewhere.

Are there any apps for VR on iOS? Or do we just need to wait for Litchi to implement it? Sorry if this has been covered somewhere.

Yes, I use FPV Camera. They have a trial of all of the add-on's for $2.50 to see if you like it. I use my iPhone 6. The only thing I don't like is that it will not sync with Healthy Drones.

Reactions: EddieM
Litchi NOW HAS VR for IOS. just gotta figure out how to take pictures while wearing the goggles.

Reactions: EddieM
Thanks for that, well that's a shame, was going to buy that app as well, but mostly for the VR
Their app has many great features and VR mode is the least of them. Its Waypoint missions can't be matched with the go app. Has tracking and follow me modes that are better than the go app. And I personally like it's manual, normal flight mode better.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl