Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Video Won't Play

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by EskimoPie, Apr 30, 2014.

1. EskimoPie

Hey, I'm a noob with a P2V+ that has worked fine for the past few days. Today I shot a video flying around my neighborhood and when I get home and put the micro SD card in my laptop to view the video, it won't play. The video was set to 1080p/30fps and the video displayed fine on my phone during the flight, but I can't see the file. Other files I've taken have worked just fine. When I open the video, I just get a black screen and even though it was a 20 minute flight, it ends after a few seconds. I've tried media player and MPC-HC with the same result (although MPC doesn't seem to end after a few seconds). Any thoughts?

2. EskimoPie

The file properties show a length of 00:13:38, 1920x1080, 11874kbps bitrate, and 29 fps. The file size is ~1.2GB. When I launch it in media player (windows 8), the hard drive runs constantly for about 20 seconds... I suspect the file is corrupted somehow.

3. EskimoPie

I put the card back in the P2V+ and took a couple more videos with it just sitting in my hand and those ones work fine when I put the card in the computer. The original file still won't play. i did notice that the bad file has a date stamp of 1/1/2008 12:00 AM while the good files have real date stamps.

Can this file be repaired and played?

4. DiscoDrew

Sounds corrupt, doubtful you'll get it back.

Did you possibly power off camera or copter before stopping recording? That can do it...

5. 4wd

4wd

It may not have finalised the file if you happened to turn it off soon after stopping the recording.
    I've noticed it's quite slow writing stills especially RAW compared to a regular camera.

6. EskimoPie

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH... what am I doing wrong? Took my P2V+ on a camping trip this weekend and shot 10 videos... 5 out of those 10 are unplayable and have symptoms like the previous one... file sizes look real, properties look valid... last modified date is 2008 and the file is unplayable. I saw the comment about possibly shutting off the Phantom before I stopped the recording via my phone and so I was careful about that this trip. I KNOW I didn't do it 5 times. The SD card is a class 10 32GB Sandisk... I'm confused and frustrated!

7. Jayson Hanes

sorry to hear your pain.. but I feel it too. I upgraded my SDcard to a Sandisk Ultra 32gb and this happens MUCH less often now.. I was getting 1/3 of my videos corrupted with the stock sdcard and a new 32gb (non ultra) card.. now I lose maybe 1 video for every 20. I also make sure to stop recording EVERY time before powering off.. and a reboot/take a pic/start recording new, does NOT repair these.

I have tried to repair them every way possible from researching online (tools, ffmpeg, etc) and nothing works -- except -- there is a website you'll find where you upload your video and it magically can pull accurate STILLs out of it to prove they "can repair" it.. but it's like $40 or some bs.. haven't bothered to try it yet..