Video is "wobbly"

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I'm new to piloting the drone (< 3 months) but have been fortunate enough to fly it a lot and get used to it. I just returned from the Cliffs of Moher (Ireland) and got some amazing footage but the video is "wobbly". It was a clear day lucky for us because only 1 in every 20 is, but it was moderately windy. I'm assuming that the camera and the gimbal stabilizer can only do so much, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Also, was hoping to get your recommendations on settings especially when it's sunny. On a few of the days it was very sunny and unfortunately a lot of my footage is way to bright with a lot of white wash. It looks like I can edit the footage in iMovie but was hoping for some recommendations to mitigate that in advance.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

To better explain a video issue you might want to show us. Then we can see exactly what you are experiencing.

Here you go! I thought I had included it.

It's called jello effect I would say there is a strong wind.from my experience when I flew in strong winds turning fast or slow I have seen this jello effect.you may want to try stiffer rubber mounts for cam gimbal.they used to have them in different sets 30 40 50 stiffness.

Here you go! I thought I had included it.

Nice landscape!

Were you flying with the camera in manual mode? The video itself looked bad from not being set or at least pot in auto. The waviness is part of a problem I had a year ago which grew into additional problems. The repair turn around time was 12-14 weeks back then and noway was I sending my aircraft to dji for repair. I was determined to diagnose and fix it myself. And that is what I did. I took me a long time but I finally figured it out.

I found that while recording if I pressed on the 2 small wiring harnesses and flat gimbal cable where it goes in the top plate a disturbance would appear on the video. I would enable everything except starting the props and while recording I would hold the a/c in had and tilt, roll, and basically simulate in flight. I then replaced the mentioned wire harnesses and flat cable and it been perfect every since then. Make sure you use factory parts to replace those with. Especially the flat gimbal cable.

Nice landscape!

Were you flying with the camera in manual mode? The video itself looked bad from not being set or at least pot in auto. The waviness is part of a problem I had a year ago which grew into additional problems. The repair turn around time was 12-14 weeks back then and noway was I sending my aircraft to dji for repair. I was determined to diagnose and fix it myself. And that is what I did. I took me a long time but I finally figured it out.

I found that while recording if I pressed on the 2 small wiring harnesses and flat gimbal cable where it goes in the top plate a disturbance would appear on the video. I would enable everything except starting the props and while recording I would hold the a/c in had and tilt, roll, and basically simulate in flight. I then replaced the mentioned wire harnesses and flat cable and it been perfect every since then. Make sure you use factory parts to replace those with. Especially the flat gimbal cable.
Thanks I flew it a lot after without the issue so suspect it was the high wind. The drone was in auto for all settings. It's unfortunate i am not better with it because the video doesn't the cliffs justice.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Thanks I flew it a lot after without the issue so suspect it was the high wind. The drone was in auto for all settings. It's unfortunate i am not better with it because the video doesn't the cliffs justice.

Thanks for the reply!!!

I also remember there being some camera lenses that have a gasket/seal missing that allows movement in the lens.

That reminds me of my P3S when I first got it ... factory hadn't fitted gimbal arm correctly ...

I found there was a slight gap they left and it was not seated fully. Simple fix with a 1.5mm Hex driver ...

I cannot remember which is required ... in the Camera settings ... Follow Mode or FPV Mode ..... choosing one can lead to camera having a case of wobbles at times !!!

The arm must sit properly on that seat .. and the screw tightened. There should be a flat to align the assembly for the screw to tighten to.

Once I did that - it was cured ....

Here's before checking that arm :

Then after :

I don't say its absolutely the answer ... but looks similar !!

As to the video colour / brightness ..... Go to Settings in the camera / video section and tap the HISTOGRAM option ON ... then you will have a display box on screen that you use the RIGHT wheel to adjust the camera so that major part of that histogram is centred ....

Nigel

Use ND filters when filming on very sunny days. Lots of helpful videos on YouTube.

Use ND filters when filming on very sunny days. Lots of helpful videos on YouTube.

True .... but good to learn use of Histogram first ... once I caught onto using it ... revelation !

Nigel

How many drop pins do you have on the rubber shock mounts on your gimbal?
There should be only 2, set on Diagonal corners of the gimbal plate

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl