Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

DeweyAXD said:
What I found (after i'd soldered it of course :roll: ) was that the lower standout screw hole (for the P2 Internal power supply) impacted the lower edge of the Traxx.

To combat this I got the the craft knife out and chopped the lower edge down a bit. This worked fine.

Sorry to see that you had to go through so much trouble to set that P2 batter plug to work correctly... I know you are a master at figuring these things out.

Are you going to keep that wire exposed after the cut, or are you going to add some glue/silicone to protect from any short happening?

Also, I don't know the exact demographics of your location, Mr. D, but I did find this on the eBay.co.uk website... Maybe it's within reach for you to get:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJI-Phant...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3f2f848356

Sorry, I thought the terminals inside the female traxxas plug were female not male.
What I mean is, install the p2 plug that bolts in with male plugs(I'll call it the PJA plug) . Then find a female spade terminal plug to solder to this g8 5400 pack so I can plug it into the factory p2 male terminal plug. That way I can use the plug when these p2 batteries go down in price. :mrgreen:

gen3benz said:
Sorry, I thought the terminals inside the female traxxas plug were female not male.
What I mean is, install the p2 plug that bolts in with male plugs(I'll call it the PJA plug) . Then find a female spade terminal plug to solder to this g8 5400 pack so I can plug it into the factory p2 male terminal plug. That way I can use the plug when these p2 batteries go down in price. :mrgreen:

Are you saying we can attach a Traxxas Female LiPo Battery Lead Wire & JST-XH Balance Plug (like the one below) to a g8 5400 lipo battery pack and just plug it into the "PJA plug" to avoid more cable clutter from the Xt60 plug and cable? Would make sense... It would be a direct connect... I like that idea... I think I may fit all my larger Phantom lipos that way... :D

12495668054_953410e045.jpg

LINK: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4mm-Bullet-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acc395818

Also, I don't know the exact demographics of your location, Mr. D, but I did find this on the eBay.co.uk website... Maybe it's within reach for you to get:

Thanks PJA.... sadly the item location is Hong Kong and it reckons to be delivered to me between 25th Feb and 17th March( :shock: ) So technically its a 'Hongey Kongey' PJA plug :lol:

I've reached out to a couple of UK based DJI suppliers and suggested these might be in demand and worth stocking.... might buzz Richard 'HPIguy' Whelan too (guy who runs the FB owners page and DJIguys site). He he is now working at Quadcopters UK (DJI stockist).... An understanding ear!

PJA said:
Are you saying we can attach a Traxxas Female LiPo Battery Lead Wire & JST-XH Balance Plug (like the one below) to a g8 5400 lipo battery pack and just plug it into the "PJA plug" to avoid more cable clutter from the Xt60 plug and cable?

12495668054_953410e045.jpg
Exactly, I better go buy a lipo charger now :D

DeweyAXD said:
So technically its a 'Hongey Kongey' PJA plug :lol:
Haha, yeah. Our PJA plug is Hongey Kongey as well.

Are you going to keep that wire exposed after the cut, or are you going to add some glue/silicone to protect from any short happening?

Forgot to answer this - yes i will coat it eventually. Most likely just with some paint to keep the bulk down. Unlikely i need to really as its not likely to come into contact with anything live but still will be neater.

I just wanted to throw out another idea about power connections...

Another way to avoid cable clutter:
If you have the Phantom 2 Power Supply Plug (aka, the PJA plug - :cool: ), you can use a female Traxxas to a male Xt60 plug with no wires (shown below with link below that)... I think the extension would not get in the way of a nice sized (10mm ?) Dewey Battery Door...

The best part is that it is removable and we can still use the P2 Battery with no fancy wiring, and a larger battery can still use the Xt60 female plug...

I bought one today, so I'll check it out when it arrives...

12527153724_d693e44360.jpg

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-WIRE-MAL...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac7136b06

Wow. They make an adaptor for everything.

PJA you've found another gem there!

Within about 10 seconds of seeing your post I was on Ebay UK and have bagged one myself!! Sooo much better than the one I got and a **** site smaller and lighter too. Will do nicely until I get my hands on the Internal Power connecter! Never bad to have these things in stock afterall ;)

I have one enroute and our local place is planning on stocking them $8.00 ea.

EMCSQUAR said:
I have one enroute and our local place is planning on stocking them $8.00 ea.

£7.49 here which in the grand scheme of things is one of the cheapest parts on the Phantom so well worth it for this mod. When looking for it I suggested to another supplier that they could easily do a P1.5 Upgrade Kit with options based on how far you intend to take it. Not sure a DJI dealer will be allowed to offer such a thing though.

MC your last post made this thread the second most replied to thread on Phantom Pilots 'General' section since it began (I got bored and filtered).

We all clearly have waaaaaay too much time on our hands :lol:

Great News about the P2 Power Supply Plug...

Here is another idea I'd like to bring up to you guys:

I decided to add the Zenmuse Circuit Board and H3-2D Gimbal to my P2 build, so I finally purchased them... (I never upgraded on my P1 and was using a GLB Gimbal - a **** good one too). Anyway, I wanted to once and for all complete my Phantom Hybrid the right way.

Below in a pic, you'll see the Zenmuse board in the P2 shell. I was thinking of attaching the power supply from the circuit board to the P2 Power Supply Plug to avoid more clutter in the bay compartment.

As you can see in the pic, (using my f550 - NAZA V2 Controller for reference), I snaked the Power Board Supply Cable to reach the P2 Power Supply. Since it wouldn't reach, I figured that I can just connect a female Xt60 plug to extend the wiring to the P2 Power Supply... I would then use the Traxxas/Xt60 plug (from my last post) to use any Lipos I choose to use in the P2. When I use the P2 Battery, I just disconnect the Traxxas/Xt60 to connect the P2 Battery directly...

If at any point in time I would want to change the power supply back to the original xt60 plug and cable, I just disconnect it from the modified install and snake it back under the board...

Looks like enough room under the hood of the Phantom to do this...

So, any feedback on that idea?

12529466683_19ca0e0711_b.jpg

Hmmm I'd say that over complicates it a bit. With P2 the 'Internal Power Connecter' (lets call it the 'IPC') in place you really only need to splice an XT60 socket into the wire at some point and you'll never look back (you won't need the Traxx at all).

Personally I'd de-solder the grey/red from the board, get 2 bits of 16awg cable and extend the wires from the IPC to the MC board. Then splice the grey/red wires into this too. That way you can simply tuck the XT60 socket out of the way when you use the P2 battery and pull it out when you need it. That is what I'm planning personally. Plus it keeps the weight down and trust me with ESC's wired in, CAN-BUS solder (if you are intending to do it) and the RX in place your really won't enjoy a bulky XT60 floating around.

While you are there I'd get some 20awg wire and make yourself an AUX power from the main board too and poke it out of the neat hole provided (just in case you need it in the future).

Just my thoughts on it.

DeweyAXD said:
Personally I'd de-solder the grey/red from the board, get 2 bits of 16awg cable and extend the wires from the IPC to the MC board. Then splice the grey/red wires into this too. That way you can simply tuck the XT60 socket out of the way when you use the P2 battery and pull it out when you need it.

While you are there I'd get some 20awg wire and make yourself an AUX power from the main board too and poke it out of the neat hole provided (just in case you need it in the future).

OK... So that idea about splicing it in, I like... More room and less weight...

Yes, I was also going to add the AUX Power Cable...

Just waiting on a 3D battery door before I dismantle my P1 for the transfer... ;)

I'm going to use the V2 LED idea and hang it on the door... Put me down for one of these, Mr. D...

(No hurry, I'm taking the P1 out of state in a couple weeks... Hope I don't lose it... :shock: )

v2-LED-Door.jpg

I admire your patience on this PJA - my problem is always that I get the idea and throw myself full bent at it.... usually works out well for those watching though :lol:

Prototype door and FPV undertray is due to arrive on Tuesday. That very door with the v2 clip is what I've used for the prototype if it works you'll be able to see it functioning before you buy via video. Likewise I'll have the IPC fitted and wired in by then too so you'll be able to see any pitfalls from that process too.

PJA said:

PJA,
Your bird looks like a virgin... Seriously you're on the right track and have some killer ideas. On mine I'm going to use the P2 power plug that you turned us onto on the stock P2 side and use a XT60 on other side(spliced/soldered at the board). Using it that way I can do P2 or dual std batts without alot of hassling about.

I too am waiting for Sir Dewey to design that battery door

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 658

Holy hell MC you said 1.5kg on that last PM and I can see why now! :lol: Your bird needs a treadmill and atkins! (if I said that in any pub around here I'd be in the hospital for a long time!) :lol:

DeweyAXD said:
Holy hell MC you said 1.5kg on that last PM and I can see why now! :lol: Your bird needs a treadmill and atkins! (if I said that in any pub around here I'd be in the hospital for a long time!) :lol:

Yes sir, that pic is when it was all crammed in P1 - She weighs in at 1220 w/o battery - 1500+ w/P2 battery. Her diet is bigger batteries

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72