Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

ElGuano said:
39mm is definitely on the way-tall side, at least for a Phantom 1. Definitely make sure you have the space under the mainboard (and battery door opening) to fit those.
Would be for a P2 shell. But yeah would have to jack up the main board pretty good.

Wow... a whole host of activity from overseas while I was snoozing away! Where to begin...

Thanks for the link to the charging method... I'm going to research that a bit more before diving in. The principal of what he does is sound in that video and the DC charger only generateds a 12v DC current... no magic too it. The Battery seems to have a balance board as part of its main board.

German Shapeways Zenmuse bracket looks good and its nice to see he's not gone mad on his pricing. I'm 95% certain I can still use mine with 3 prongs and have no ill effects anyway. Feels solid and I can always stick a cable tie through one of the spheres just in case it decides to part company with the Phantom mid flight!

PJA - I just recieved the female side of my Traxx plug. The male side should be here in the morning so I will tell you if it will work. Looking at the female version's dimensions it looks perfect and I am pretty sure MC's plug that he bourght from a hobby store is exactly that... a Traxx male plug with plastic removed. Will keep you all updated on this when it arrives.

As for the battery door to fit with 2 XT60 at the sides... perfectly possible but it would be pretty wide and pretty ugly. Wider it is the more material needed too so it puts the cost up. I'd avoid that route if you can. Worth baring in mind that those paralell cables are 20g extra weight.

If people are looking to buy new batteries for this project I'd avoid going with 2 batteries. Its just never going to be as efficient as one (as long as it is the right one of course). I'm still yet to find the 'perfect' single batt solution. Closest so far is 502g of 6400mah that will fit.... that will take my AUW to 1.5kg though. The search continues!

Oh and so this isn't all boring text.... I couldn't resist making a silly crash video with a bit of 90's nostalgia.... enjoy. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kWceqYuneY[/youtube]

DeweyAXD said:
If people are looking to buy new batteries for this project I'd avoid going with 2 batteries. Its just never going to be as efficient as one (as long as it is the right one of course). I'm still yet to find the 'perfect' single batt solution. Closest so far is 502g of 6400mah that will fit.... that will take my AUW to 1.5kg though. The search continues!
Ahmed posted this 5400mah to EG's blog on RCG
http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/5400-mAh_2/TP5400-3SPP25
104x48x34 and 354 grams, but cost is $118

gen3benz said:
DeweyAXD said:

Yep, these are my 3S2P-type batteries straight from the factory. If the specs are real, it beats me in both weight and dimensions by a good margin. But at $120, it'd be a hard decision versus just going with the real P2 batteries. Get it down to ~$80, and you hit the sweet spot between doing the work yourself for $60 and being a significant cost savings of the DJI (1/2 the price).

ElGuano said:
gen3benz said:
DeweyAXD said:

Yep, these are my 3S2P-type batteries straight from the factory. If the specs are real, it beats me in both weight and dimensions by a good margin. But at $120, it'd be a hard decision versus just going with the real P2 batteries. Get it down to ~$80, and you hit the sweet spot between doing the work yourself for $60 and being a significant cost savings of the DJI (1/2 the price).

If nobody here has tried that batt by the time I do my P1->P2 conversion I'll give it a shot.

DeweyAXD said:
I couldn't resist making a silly crash video with a bit of 90's nostalgia.... enjoy. :lol:

This forum really needs a "PMSL" emoticon :lol:

I didn't even need to see that full video, the opening title was enough :D

While you guys have been discussing connector ends, I rebuilt mine after an indoor accident & took her out to verfify "all systems go". Currently 9 deg F, 13 mph winds gust to 19mph - she flew 15:03 mins w/P2 battery and fully loaded (FPV,IOSD MINI, Zen & PMU)
I turned off battery warning level and went by P2 battery lights. Shut her down w/2 solid lights - then tested level with Fluke meter - after 15 mins battery level = 11.3v

Can hardly wait until warmer weather & calmer days. That is all

MC

PJA said:
Let me run this by you, Mr. D (and others)...

12418834525_fe3b1f8cbd_k.jpg

PJA,
Thanks for the heads up on the connector. I ordered 1 and as you mentioned will cut the smart connector off bottom. In addition I'm going to splice a single XT60 connector onto it and route it to the other side of battery bay. I'll use "Y" to run duals when not using P2 battery. Granted won't be fitting a pair of mad dogs in there (side by side) but I have many others and combinations of that'll fit the bay.

Thanks again!

MC

To take PJA's idea a step further, I just took a multi meter to those 2 tiny pins on the bottom of our so called "smart batteries" hoping to find low voltage there so we could've have used as an aux power supply and found there is ZERO current running through them. Whether battery is on or off - zip, zero, zilch. Which makes me think it's a constant ground loop through the NAZA to the battery. Kind of explains all of the early battery issues P2 guys were having. The smallest amount of resistance or gap would cause control module to shut down.

EMCSQUAR said:
Thanks for the heads up on the connector. I ordered 1 and as you mentioned will cut the smart connector off bottom. In addition I'm going to splice a single XT60 connector onto it and route it to the other side of battery bay. I'll use "Y" to run duals when not using P2 battery. Granted won't be fitting a pair of mad dogs in there (side by side) but I have many others and combinations of that'll fit the bay.

Thanks again!

MC

I understand that as long as you don't connect the bottom lead wire connector to the board, the P2 battery will still work... I'm just leaving it as is. The lead wire won't connect to anything on the P1 board anyway... Besides, the bottom connector also would help as a guide so the P2 battery would fit snugly, I think...

I think the XT60 connector would be better placed on the same side as the P2 battery connector, since there is a lot more room on that side and, I think, the power source on the P1 board is also on that side... It can tuck away easily next to the P2 connector when using a P2 battery... There is room on the opposite side also, but that's just my opinion...

ElGuano said:
Well how about $100 shipped, because my offer was accepted. Shoulda offered $80 :lol:
Guess I will be the first to try stuffing one in a P2 shell

gen3benz said:
ElGuano said:
Well how about $100 shipped, because my offer was accepted. Shoulda offered $80 :lol:
Guess I will be the first to try stuffing one in a P2 shell

Cool, I'm anxious to see how that one works out. It looks like it has one of the proprietary Thunder Power balance taps on it instead of the JST type we're used to, but you can get an adapter for just a few bucks.

For those who don't mind shaving the top lip of the battery hole I found this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=34393

A single 4500mah with a 1.7 power to weight ratio and 278g (very light for its capacity!).

The point here being that if you shave the top edge off the rear opening you could fit 2 of these on tip of each other (there is 1.5mm extra needed by my estimation). It would be about 1.54kg AUW but with 9000mah at hand :lol: Sadly a bit too far but a very good battery on its own. Frankly at that capacity vs weight i'd not be surprised if it competed with a 5000mah in the real world.

DeweyAXD said:
For those who don't mind shaving the top lip of the battery hole I found this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=34393

A single 4500mah with a 1.7 power to weight ratio and 278g (very light for its capacity!).

The point here being that if you shave the top edge off the rear opening you could fit 2 of these on tip of each other (there is 1.5mm extra needed by my estimation). It would be about 1.54kg AUW but with 9000mah at hand :lol: Sadly a bit too far but a very good battery on its own. Frankly at that capacity vs weight i'd not be surprised if it competed with a 5000mah in the real world.

That is impressive, even just running one of them at a time. And they do have them in the US warehouse too: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

PJA said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Thanks again!

MC

I think the XT60 connector would be better placed on the same side as the P2 battery connector, since there is a lot more room on that side and, I think, the power source on the P1 board is also on that side... It can tuck away easily next to the P2 connector when using a P2 battery... There is room on the opposite side also, but that's just my opinion...

The OEM battery lead is on oposite side when you transfer board over to P2. I had to extend mine to reach P2 side. Currently I tuck the XT60 to spade connector on that side for P2 batt and it gets a little jumbled in there. After seeing your pics - the stationary P2 connector will work on left side and I'll reroute my XT60 to right side (tuck it into pocket when using P2) and when using duals connect Y cable to XT60 and there's room for the duals without interferring w/P2 connector.

DeweyAXD said:
It would be about 1.54kg AUW but with 9000mah at hand :lol: Sadly a bit too far but a very good battery on its own. Frankly at that capacity vs weight i'd not be surprised if it competed with a 5000mah in the real world.

That sounds about right. I've run a similar test:

987g 5400mah: 30 minutes
1262g 8800mah: 31 minutes

And of course, you can actually add stuff to the 5400mah setup and still fly around for 20 minutes.

Results in from the Traxx plug... as suspected this is exactly what EMC's is.

All I did was take a craft knife to the plastc....

IMG_4157.jpg

Distance between spades is perfect....

IMG_4158.jpg

When pushed in....

IMG_4159.jpg

Width is fine (no contact with edge). The spades are a little thin. They don't fall out but they they don't need much effort to remove. I think i will put a thin layer of solder on the tips of them both just so there is a lump to keep it secure.

Just as MC did you have to raise the XT60 up a little when sliding the door in. A little awkward.

IMO the best route (if you can find one) is to get the internal power connecter as per PJA's post with the mod suggested by MC.... just need to find one in stock in the UK!

Traxxas female plug

Maybe I will get one of these and cut off my xt60 PITA(pain in the ***) plug off and shove it onto the P2 plug.

gen3benz said:
Traxxas female plug

Maybe I will get one of these and cut off my xt60 PITA(pain in the ***) plug off and shove it onto the P2 plug.

Way ahead of you there... although I should note that on my initial inspection all is not quite as comfy as it seemed! (well there is a surprise hey!).

Because I bourgt a female Traxx --> Xt60 (as per above pic) as well as a Male one, I decided to remove my Phantom's XT60 plug and use the male Traxx one full time. It is about the same weight but it makes fitting the P2 battery soooo much easier to fit... or so I thought. If I want to use a standard Lipo I can simply use the Female Traxx --> XT60 adapter on the battery.

What I found (after i'd soldered it of course :roll: ) was that the lower standout screw hole (for the P2 Internal power supply) impacted the lower edge of the Traxx.

To combat this I got the the craft knife out and chopped the lower edge down a bit. This worked fine.

Next thing I found was that the loose wire kept snaging and pinching on these standoffs.... to compat this I used a long length of heat shrink. I pushed the wires together to form a slight upward angle. Idea being that the angle/heatshrink (like my other attempts) would impact the standoffs and slide up them (rather than snagging).

Lets see the pictures to explain.... not easy ones to take I can assure you!

IMG_4160-1.jpg

This is what i stripped back. Structure is fine and I could have added some heat shrink to the terminal (had I remembered to do so!). You will also notice the solder blobbed tips. This grips inside the P2 batter connecter much tighter now... a nice way to contol how tight it is!

IMG_4162-1.jpg

This is where you can see the angle I am talking about with the heat shrink.

IMG_4163.jpg

Before sliding in... you can see how i routed the black and red battery cable and how the the end of the heatshrink is at the top of the battery opening at the angle.

260369a2-5ede-4e70-b0ac-0af55b8cb463.jpg

Finally this pic shows how the modified Traxx plug now misses the standout... sorry its a bit crude - bad lighting!

Again this really highlights how handy the internal power plug will be! Grab one if you can but be aware you will need to undo and lift the main board to put it in there (so if you are reading this and havn't started the process yet buy one now and be patient!!).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna