Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

****! What the heck do you have under the hood... Stuff I never saw before... :eek:

You get this thing off the ground, MC? You're right about my Phantom being a virgin... :oops:

Ha! Do you think anything else could fit :?:

Looks like you have a 'Hemi' under the hood compared to my 'V6' right now... :lol:

EMCSQUAR said:
DeweyAXD said:
Holy hell MC you said 1.5kg on that last PM and I can see why now! :lol: Your bird needs a treadmill and atkins! (if I said that in any pub around here I'd be in the hospital for a long time!) :lol:

Yes sir, that pic is when it was all crammed in P1 - She weighs in at 1220 w/o battery - 1500+ w/P2 battery. Her diet is bigger batteries

How long does it fly with the P2 battery? Are you getting 12 minutes?

ElGuano said:
EMCSQUAR said:
DeweyAXD said:
Holy hell MC you said 1.5kg on that last PM and I can see why now! :lol: Your bird needs a treadmill and atkins! (if I said that in any pub around here I'd be in the hospital for a long time!) :lol:

Yes sir, that pic is when it was all crammed in P1 - She weighs in at 1220 w/o battery - 1500+ w/P2 battery. Her diet is bigger batteries

How long does it fly with the P2 battery? Are you getting 12 minutes?

El G,
I'm glad you chimed in, I had this discussion with Sir Dewey earlier. Today I flew with P2 battery w/battery warning levels on IOSD showed 10.5 (2 bars on P2 battery) lights flashing brought phantom down and Voltage shoots up to 11.3 - WTF??? So I turn off battery warning levels - fly 12 mins until 2 bars on P2 battery - check batt -> 11.3 fly again another 5 mins until 1bar solid,1 flash 11.1 flew again until 1 bar batt 10.7 - total time 21 mins - 1520grams, 13 degree temp 9mph winds . Conclusion (at least new to me) P2 battery levels in %s are NOT total voltage but total useable flight voltage. The weight was causing it trigger low voltage warning. This is also w/gains at 140 140 140 140 atti 100 100 (that was my other experiment today)

PJA said:
****! What the heck do you have under the hood... Stuff I never saw before... :eek:

You get this thing off the ground, MC? You're right about my Phantom being a virgin... :oops:

Ha! Do you think anything else could fit :?:

Looks like you have a 'Hemi' under the hood compared to my 'V6' right now... :lol:

PJA,
That pic was P1 before conversion using single mad dog batts - getting about 8-10 minutes depending on winds etc. Currently I have Zenmuse, PMU, IOSD Mini, under lid, outside GTU 10 and rtx and simonsays landing gear - all toll 1220 w/o P2 battery. When I get P2 batt power connector I plan on routing & condensing wiring maybe save a little weight. For as heavy as she is and with all the tweaking of gains & batt improvements, she's not a pylon racer but the times are getting better and is pretty smooth.

EMCSQUAR said:
El G,
I'm glad you chimed in, I had this discussion with Sir Dewey earlier. Today I flew with P2 battery w/battery warning levels on IOSD showed 10.5 (2 bars on P2 battery) lights flashing brought phantom down and Voltage shoots up to 11.3 - WTF??? So I turn off battery warning levels - fly 12 mins until 2 bars on P2 battery - check batt -> 11.3 fly again another 5 mins until 1bar solid,1 flash 11.1 flew again until 1 bar batt 10.7 - total time 21 mins - 1520grams, 13 degree temp 9mph winds . Conclusion (at least new to me) P2 battery levels in %s are NOT total voltage but total useable flight voltage. The weight was causing it trigger low voltage warning. This is also w/gains at 140 140 140 140 atti 100 100 (that was my other experiment today)

High weight will definitely trigger low voltage prematurely, but it sounds like the back LEDs are accurate. There's talk that the smart battery is actually counting mah so it is more accurate than just reading loaded voltage, which is weak in this very scenario. However it is working, that's a tremendous output. 10.7 resting is quite low though, and that is 1 solid bar in the battery? I don't think I would have the guts to push it down to 1 flashing!

Yea I went to 1 solid bar and didn't dare go any lower. I'm pretty happy with that considering temps, wind. Now it's just the fine tweaking and maintaining consistency. I'll be happy with 15-18 mins anything more than that I'd be loitering.

DeweyAXD said:
EMCSQUAR said:
MC your last post made this thread the second most replied to thread on Phantom Pilots 'General' section since it began (I got bored and filtered).
That's because this is the official 1.5 conversion thread.
Just got my upgrade board and iosd, can't wait to see how the g8 5400 battery fits.

EMCSQUAR said:
Yea I went to 1 solid bar and didn't dare go any lower. I'm pretty happy with that considering temps, wind. Now it's just the fine tweaking and maintaining consistency. I'll be happy with 15-18 mins anything more than that I'd be loitering.
That's absolutely superb especially on such a heavy bird! Congrats!

I wasn't expecting to get more than 15mins on the P2 batt @ 1350g so your 21 mins in -3c is pretty impressive. Very interesting in respect to the low voltage protection.... I look forward to testing with mine. First thing will be to charge the P2 batt using the Accucel 6 via the PB method so I can get an idea of MAH back in. Kinda nervous about that to be honest but people out there seem to be having success with it.

It adds to the tempation 2 x Turnigy nano-tech A-SPEC 4500mah 3S 65~130C Lipo Boat Pack (278g per batt). On my rig that would put me at 1.54kg but with 9000mah to play with. Only downside is shaving the door opening will likely be needed.... unless I sling one under the body and make a cage for it :(

Hmmmm.....

DeweyAXD said:
It adds to the tempation 2 x Turnigy nano-tech A-SPEC 4500mah 3S 65~130C Lipo Boat Pack (278g per batt). On my rig that would put me at 1.54kg but with 9000mah to play with. Only downside is shaving the door opening will likely be needed.... unless I sling one under the body and make a cage for it :(

Hmmmm.....

I'm ordering the parts today for my P1->P2 conversion, and I think I'll go ahead and try at least one of those 4500 nano-techs you found...but won't they stick out the back a good bit?

Good good - I think we all look forward to an Elguano 'featherweight' P1.5 (if that is your plan?). EDIT - I must have been drinking there.... thought it as an Elguano post!! Sorry O.I.

They really do look like great value don't they. Just wish they were 2mm thinner and then they'd be spot on!

At 150mm I've worked out that they will stick out 22mm futher than the end of a stock P2 battery or 39mm out from the shell opening. I should note that I am basing that measurement off the back edge of the P2 battery tray. If you don't do what I did with the P1 LED board you can easily push it an extra 5-10mm inside until it touches the inside front of the shell.

It sounds bad but the battery shoved in here (used for comparison only) was my 4s 5800 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=32179). This is 145mm x 50mm x 38mm

IMG_4043.jpg

On paper this should fit at all... but it does at a squeeze and doesn't look 'that' daft. 5mm longer is what we are talking and a lot less cable thanks to its stubby bullets.

I'm tempted to pick up a P2 battery to test with. The energy density is great and the true output seems phenomenal. If it can be freed of the electronics, I think it'd be almost as light as my 4400mah batteries, which could make for an insane increase in flight time...

I'm just not sure right now if I even want >20 minutes of flight :)

Heh, I'll take that as a compliment ;)

I can tolerate a bit of a "fat battery-butt" and I do plan to keep the internal layout such that I can push it in all the way to the far edge of the shell. If I'm only using one of them, it looks like I'll have a nice bit of clearance between the battery and the NAZA board for stuffing cables and such.

ElGuano said:
I'm tempted to pick up a P2 battery to test with. The energy density is great and the true output seems phenomenal. If it can be freed of the electronics, I think it'd be almost as light as my 4400mah batteries, which could make for an insane increase in flight time...

Man if you could crack that nut.... :shock:

ElGuano said:

I keep dipping a toe in the RC Groups thread about 'freeing the Phantom 2 from the Smart Battery'. Doesn't look like it is going to be an easy task does it (I see you are a fellow subscriber). Frankly if anyone finds a way it clearly won't be either a) cheap or b) easy. The more I see about it the more I can see that £107 is a pretty fair price too.
Most importantly it convinces me that dispite the time we've all spent on this, it really is worth it as the P1.5 makes a whole lot of sense even if you are a new buyer considering a P2.

DeweyAXD said:
ElGuano said:

I keep dipping a toe in the RC Groups thread about 'freeing the Phantom 2 from the Smart Battery'. Doesn't look like it is going to be an easy task does it (I see you are a fellow subscriber). Frankly if anyone finds a way it clearly won't be either a) cheap or b) easy. The more I see about it the more I can see that £107 is a pretty fair price too.
Most importantly it convinces me that dispite the time we've all spent on this, it really is worth it as the P1.5 makes a whole lot of sense even if you are a new buyer considering a P2.

Agreed. The p2 is a great flying platform, but it's just too locked down; not great for tinkerers.

I think my next longer term project is something that can't yet be done with the P2--A long-range Li-ion battery mod.

I have to ask you guys something about the P2 battery...

I plan to buy one once I find a good price ... There is a lot of talk about it costing $159.00 USD... However, I'm finding prices over $164.00 USD before shipping costs... The only place I found it for $159.00 USD was from DroneFly on Amazon, FREE SHIPPING! They just sold out a few days ago, so I expect when they are back in stock they will be the same price. Anywhere else I can get one for $159.00 USD FLAT?

Second question would be about the charger. Do I really need to buy a DJI matching charger for this battery, or can I charge it with my Lipo Charger as this guy did with a self manufactured Traxxas Cable?

Link Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA1cWjFD1Cw#t=602

And finally, do you see any long term problems with the P2 electronics? Will this battery quit on us because we are not using a P2/Vision Circuit Board or the Specialized NAZA V2 I've been reading about on other forums?

15 to 18 minutes would be worth the battery if the life of it would last like any other Lipo... And worth at least the 159.00 USD price tag...

(with my luck, there will be a price drop on the P2 battery after I buy one).

PJA said:
I have to ask you guys something about the P2 battery...

I plan to buy one once I find a good price ... There is a lot of talk about it costing $159.00 USD... However, I'm finding prices over $164.00 USD before shipping costs... The only place I found it for $159.00 USD was from DroneFly on Amazon, FREE SHIPPING! They just sold out a few days ago, so I expect when they are back in stock they will be the same price. Anywhere else I can get one for $159.00 USD FLAT?

Second question would be about the charger. Do I really need to buy a DJI matching charger for this battery, or can I charge it with my Lipo Charger as this guy did with a self manufactured Traxxas Cable?

Link Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA1cWjFD1Cw#t=602

And finally, do you see any long term problems with the P2 electronics? Will this battery quit on us because we are not using a P2/Vision Circuit Board or the Specialized NAZA V2 I've been reading about on other forums?

15 to 18 minutes would be worth the battery if the life of it would last like any other Lipo... And worth at least the 159.00 USD price tag...

(with my luck, there will be a price drop on the P2 battery after I buy one).

All good questions PJA. You ask at the right time as I've just come home from a dawn flight which ended with a soft landing (yey!). I got 12mins before first level was screaming but as mentioned by MC I think there is a lot more to be had due to the smart technology of the battery. I have 2 bars still left suggesting a possible 20% left of useable MAH. This info is useless to all of us unless we know how many MAH have to go back into it so I will today be being brave and trying the method in that very video.... I might have an extinguisher to hand through out!

EDIT: Battery voltage after landing @ 10.7v first level = 11.40 (1hr after the flight). PB charging now.... :?

As for the electronics - no harm at all can come as far as i am concerned. That battery when turned on does only one thing and one thing only... delivering the correct voltage. The lipo inside sends that voltage via a circuit board sure but that is it. There is no communication with the NAZA at all. The only way there could be any risk would be to have a P2 main board and plug in the IPC to it via that small 2 pin cable. That allows communication from the smart board on the batt to the NAZA.... but we arent' using a P2 board or those 2 pins so no issue at all. That is just my opinion on it but I am pretty sure others would back that?

As for the price war.... well I'm keeping my mouth shut on that as we can't get it in the UK for less than $170 + p&p so screw all you johnny foreigners and your cheap prices!! :mrgreen: :lol:

Oh and to end on a much more familiar note for DeweyAXD.... a crash!

I also took my ImmersionRC XuGong 10 out for a test flight after the P1.5 flight..... £60 T-Motor CF props decided to slip AGAIN despite new rubber washers and being tight as fooook. This time it happened from about 200ft up instead of 10ft like last time. Gave me plenty of viewing time to watch it fall.... SPLAT! Video will make you dizzy! :roll: (I'll point you to it on my blog when uploaded)..... getting just a little tired of crashing now. :lol: :lol:

Ok update on the PB charge situation.... On face value it worked. The battery charged up upon all bars being full the Acucell 6 stopped itself (As the smart battery turned itself off). It put 3789 mah back in.
Now normally I'd assume that a 5200mah has 80% safe useable power which would be 4160mah before breaching the 20% rule. We of cours have noooo idea whether the P2 battery uses this or if it is cleverer than that.
Using the 80% rule it means that I had 9% of useable power still left in the battery. Means I can take the first level down a little (but not much).

Plugging into a voltometer after the charge shows 12.18v .... not 12.6v as I'd expect from a 3s. This is interesting. I then plugged it into the DJI stock P2 charger and it wouldn't charge at all (as it is registering full).
Next test will therefore be to use it again without changing the 1st level protection yet, charge it fully with the DJI charger and see what the voltage registers after this. If it is 12.6v then we know that the PB charge method might have a draw back (or more likely my Acucell 6 is f*@ked :lol: ).

MC - how on earth you got 21 mins without caning that battery I just don't know. Especially at that temperature! Sounds to me like either the smart battery is a LOT smarter than a stock lipo and allows you to use nearly all of it's 5200mah or you breached the 80% rule?

We will see I guess.

A note on PB charging that I've found - If I charge battery at 3amps or more it charges quick but shuts off early - the 2 times I tried at 3amps & 4amps it tripped the auto shut off and tested on voltmeter 12.4 and 12.2 respectedly. When I charge at 2 amps it tests 12.64 or higher (had one 12.79)

Re: 21 mins - that went to 1 solid bar on batt, very easy flying and with battery warnings off. I noticed that while watching OSD, voltage at the 2nd bar and into 3rd was a "voltage ledge" it stayed there awhile. I can't explain why but I do know the OSD does have a delay. I'll do a couple flights today (before massive snowstorm blows through) just to verify. I'll try w/warning set and without to see if there's a difference - I wouldn't think so but then again this is DJI...

over & out

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raffaello