Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

PJA said:
WOW! Just found this from another thread... This is very sad and yet it made me laugh at the same time.

There is definitely a very big problem with the design of the DJI UAV's which leads people to go this far because of their loss...

https://www.facebook.com/djiflyaway

The owner of that page posts on rcgroups. He heavily modded his Phantom's electronics, had problems, and now has it out for DJI. Sadly, he's become kind of a troll who uncritically welcomes any and all incidents as "classic flyaways" faulted to the Naza controller without question, and attacks anyone who actually tries to determine the root cause of the problem. It's actually a bit comical, but in the end I think he does a real disservice to people who have had crashes and flyaways as he's pushing a clear agenda and isn't interested in determining what the actual problem is (maybe is the Naza, or maybe one of the other two dozen components of a typical multi).

As part of my troubleshooting with my 1.5 right now, I think I'm going to slap on a set of new/different motors. While I may still end up with the E300 set in the long run (motors or even motors + ESC's), I think I want to try a set of these out first: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 45496.html

...unless anybody knows of a good reason not to? I know I won't be able to use the self-tightening props with them, but that's not really a huge deal to me (esp since we can get the same profile from DJI without the built-in nuts).

I posted the aliexpress listing because it has the spec sheet for the motor, but if I get them I'll probably order from rangevideo here in the states: http://www.rangevideo.com/en/multicopte ... fw#/kv-980

Something tells me you are going to prove the T-motors to be over rated (in popularity, and maybe performance)... too over priced in my opinion... I bet these Sunnysky X2212 will be just as good...

Good Luck, OI...

I've read many positive reviews of Sunnysky motors. A friend is about to install a very similar model in an Aquacopter -- a number of those quads use the Sunnysky.

We await your own tests!

PJA said:
Something tells me you are going to prove the T-motors to be over rated (in popularity, and maybe performance)... too over priced in my opinion... I bet these Sunnysky X2212 will be just as good...

Good Luck, OI...

P1.5 Crash Update...

I decided to look over my P1.5 today (4 days since my horrific crash). I wanted to charge and install my GoPro on my f550.

I went to connect my charging cable and found more bad news... The usb connector was loose and moving around in my GoPro... I managed to pull it out half way as I was getting even more disappointed as this process goes along... (I'm still not ready to open my P1.5 shell yet...)

Anyway, I think I'm now in the market for a new GoPro Camera, or can anyone point me to a decent video on how to open up the GoPro to repair it... That would be my first option... I'll search some YouTube Vidz tonight, I guess... (*sigh* :( )

13978071620_db928acbf5_b.jpg

Re: In reference to the Compass Puck...

ElGuano said:
PJA said:
Let me know what you guys think...

I was going to do this mod last September on my P1, but I didn't find anyone who tried it and could vouch for it's compatibility...

It would eliminate the compass antennae on the leg... Take a look:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DJIGuys/permalink/539008059505567/

I've seen people do this successfully. What gives me pause is the fact that the standard NAZA puck with compass is undoubtedly cheaper to manufacture than a separate unit with a compass unit, mount, and wiring (and also benefits from economies of scale), yet DJI took that route with the Phantom. And the standard puck is raised 10-15cm to begin with, I figure that's a minimum distance that gets it away from electromagnetic interference to the magnetometer.

So why does using an integrated compass work? My guess is that some small but significant percentage of units experience compass deflection beyond acceptable bounds by being too close to the Naza, so the engineering decision was made to separate the compass from the body. Maybe it's as a low as 5%. Maybe the deflection is non-critical but pervasive. I have spare pucks but I've never seen the need to do this. If my GPS or compass unit broke, maybe I would. I'd keep an eye on it for quite a few flights though :)

Whoa I better talk to mods -I've subscribed to this thread since Deweys first post and it's worked until the last couple of days...

Re: GPS puck/compass combo - I have it and NAZA M v2 in my 1.5 and it locks sats in 38 secs - religiously. Also have same set up in Kong and it's in same ball park. My second 1.5 has oe NAZA GPS and compass with E300 and it still takes 2:00 mins. OL - I have my doubts your vibrations are GPS/Compass related - maybe motors but what are your current gains and what props are you running.
I've had to do many prop/gain combinations to get stable flights & times - it's a balancing act

I've had some "adventures" and a couple of close calls but I'm getting ready to take the final steps on installation of the iOSD, PMU and Ground Station. Before I do the final soldering, however, I'd really appreciate it if you'd take a look at the components I've laid out in the photo, to see if I've crossed wires anywhere or made a mis-connection. I think it's OK but I'd rather ask for help than risk a mistake.

Attachments

• IMG_1716.JPG
    IMG_1716.JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 276

Everything looks correct in the pic. Don't see wires from IOSD mini to tx or camera?

Thanks, EMC, that is a relief. I haven't yet spliced the tx and gopro wires but I've got the wiring diagram, which looks straightforward. One question, however: I believe you added connectors to those leads, for disconnecting the gimbal and Futaba tx? Is that correct?

EMCSQUAR said:
Everything looks correct in the pic. Don't see wires from IOSD mini to tx or camera?

GearLoose said:
Thanks, EMC, that is a relief. I haven't yet spliced the tx and gopro wires but I've got the wiring diagram, which looks straightforward. One question, however: I believe you added connectors to those leads, for disconnecting the gimbal and Futaba tx? Is that correct?

EMCSQUAR said:

My gimbal and Futaba tx are permanently mounted, I have quick disconnects for my power, video (to immersion tx) and canbus to 2.4 data link so I can swap between all three of my rigs.

@ PJA - You may have stumbled on this by now but this video demonstrates a similar fix:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STo-WlCHYh4[/youtube]

I've not done it myself but taking it apart the first time is a bit of a sod... If you choose to do it the cover the lens with a bit of alluminium foil and then use a hair dryer on the front until it is almost too hot to touch. That will make the glue behind the face place much more friendly to remove.

If you aren't confidenet with the repair (and who could blame anyone that isn't!) then you are probably better not tinkering and sticking it on E-bay sold as seen (do a video to prove the camera works etc and even a link to the repair video). Someone that has done this before or a repair shop will buy it for pretty good money you can be sure of that!

@ GearLoose - yep all looks good to me. Just a case of squeezing it all in there! :shock:

@ OI - Will be interesting to see how you go with the SunnySkys. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are as good as the Anti-Gravitys. The fact they produced a batch with wrongly labeled/stamped bell housings doesn't exactly inspire a high end confidence in me (and to be fair for the price the AG's aren't exactly high end anyway).

What was the thinking on the SS in terms of KV rating O.I? I would have thought you'd go lower in KV rather than higher for the additional weight?

I was on a roll (iOSD working) and trying to hook up the Ground Station when I ran into an obstacle: I'm using older firmware, pre- 4.0, and it appears that it must be upgraded to enable the GS.

When I connect to NAZA Assistant 2.2, however, using VWWare/XP on a Mac, I can't download the 4.02 firmware update. The Naza Assistant tells me I need to upgrade and offers a link to DJI -- but there is no actual download link for the 4.02 firmware.

To complicate matters, when I power up the Futaba while the Phantom is connected to the NAZA Assistant, there is no response or indication from the Assistant that the radio is connected.

So close... and yet still so far!
What to do?

the next day: don't ask me how but I've managed to update the NAZA to 4.02. Unfortunately, that hasn't cured another major obstacle, getting the Ground Station up and running. If you can please help with this I've posted a plea for help on the GS Forum.

and one more update: thanks to excellent very-early-morning assistance from EMCSQAR, the Ground Station is up and running! The problem was my ignorance of how to activate the iPad GS app. As the saying goes, "It's so easy when you know how." And when you don't know how... not so easy. :?

I decided to get Ground Station for my Phantom. I was watch video's about it and Lightbridge. The video
showing how to install Lightbridge, even though I'm not buying Lightbridge, showed that during installation
you had to mount the antenna's on the opposite side of the compass. When I switched to the Phantom 2 shell
and turned the main board 180 deg. I had to leave the little board, with the antenna's coming out of it, were
it was, which puts it on the same side as the compass. Will this be a problem?

DeweyAXD said:
@ PJA - You may have stumbled on this by now but this video demonstrates a similar fix:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STo-WlCHYh4[/youtube]

If you aren't confidenet with the repair (and who could blame anyone that isn't!) then you are probably better not tinkering and sticking it on E-bay sold as seen (do a video to prove the camera works etc and even a link to the repair video). Someone that has done this before or a repair shop will buy it for pretty good money you can be sure of that!

Thanks for finding me a video for the GoPro repair, Mr. D... However, did you see the whole video?

The guy decided to bring it to a cell phone repair shop since it required intricate soldering work... He then continued the video after the cell phone place showed him that the USB plug was missing some connectors that broke off in the back... So he just gave up on it and put the GoPro back together again without repairing it. It made for a good laugh... Major FAIL! Why even post a video like that if you couldn't finish the job...

I did find a YouTube Video of someone who showed how to fix the plug, and it is a very intricate fix... I know I'd have a hard time doing it, so I'll take your advice and sell my Hero Black Edition on eBay, AS IS... I already found another "hardly used" Black Edition for cheap on eBay with all the accessories and more. So, I indulged...

I also ordered a new P2 Shell for my P1.5 today... The "itch" is back... Need to get it repaired and in the air...

@ OI - Will be interesting to see how you go with the SunnySkys. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are as good as the Anti-Gravitys. The fact they produced a batch with wrongly labeled/stamped bell housings doesn't exactly inspire a high end confidence in me (and to be fair for the price the AG's aren't exactly high end anyway).

OI... I believe Dewey is right when he said: "the AG's aren't exactly high end anyway." I hope you have good luck with the SunnySkys... I will keep them in mind if I find out my P1.5 AG motors are damaged from the last crash...

PJA said:
DeweyAXD said:

OI... I believe Dewey is right when he said: "the AG's aren't exactly high end anyway." I hope you have good luck with the SunnySkys... I will keep them in mind if I find out my P1.5 AG motors are damaged from the last crash...

I agree you both are right that the SunnySky motors may give the T-motors a run for their money, I have a set of different SS motors on my 550 and they've been excellent for me. It's possible I may hold off a bit on this project for my Phantom just yet...I did a quick bench test last night were I spun up the motors for a bit while on the bench and with no props, and the airframe didn't vibrate or shake noticeably at all no matter what the RPM's were. This leads me to believe the motors themselves may not be having any balance issues anyway.

Dewey, I wasn't thinking anything specific about the kv of those other than it's close enough that I should be able to use them with 3S and 9" props. I know the logic of lower kv holds true when you move to 4S, 6S, etc and/or larger props, but from what I gather these 980kv's might end up being more efficient when used with the healthy 4.3" pitch of the DJI stock blades.

Right now though, nothing is happening till I get the new GPS antenna soldered right on the board, I can't seem to get it to make a connection. I suspect I may have damaged the mounting hole/pad when unsoldering the old antenna. Dewey I may have to hit up your bud Ronin for input...I followed his picto-guide for that and I can't quite figure out what the solder is supposed to connect the post to :roll:

Not to hijack thread but thought I would share this w/P1.5 bretheren

Do you guys get the feeling that DJI doesn't actually field test their products? I wrote them and called them out on this as I'm finding (and have found) numerous issues that weren't really thought out on their end.

IE: they sell us a Phantom 1 or 2, then offer us a host of accessories to go with - but they never show all of these accessories actually inside a Phantom. This was main reason to go the P1.5 route more space and larger battery for flight time. I've had to dremel interior to get items to fit in some sort of neat fashion. Ever notice the way cables route out of some of their accessories? Sure on a 450 or 550 where space isn't a factor but c'mon.... between IOSD mini and Zenmuse GCU those cable/connections are random at best.

IE #2 - E300 propulsion system - DJI says more efficient and reccomends 3S battery but can use 4S - well after multiple tests on 3 different quads - 4S is twice as efficient. On my Kong w/5000mah 3S = 5:30mins w/4S 5000mah = 12:15mins similar results w/P1.5

IE #3 - H3 3D - DJI says will only fit P2 - yet I mounted 2 on 2 seperate P1s w/Zen H2 GCUs and they work great - yet DJI returns email saying it doesn't work...

IE# 4 - when was the last update for P1, Naza v2? The P2s are getting updates (not all good) but they get MAC assistant etc... Did DJI forget it's original customer base or do they think they're of "Apple status" and everyone is upgrading to the latest version.

Sorry for the rant and I'm not trying to make a "witch-hunt" out of it... but I wish DJI would get some consistency and some customer acclamation before throwing out products and waiting for us to return results to them. If this nonsense continues I'll probably start building other frames using little of DJI products I trust. I hope DJI is following these forums.

I think you hit on a few good points there, but I'd be a bit more generous myself.

A lot of components are not phantom-specific. When the Phantom was released, I don't think there were any brushless 2-axis gimbals out there. It was barely even conceived that you would add a GoPro 2 to the included frame (without isolation mount). When the H3-2D was released, you had to have a mostly redundant, 30g PMU-V2, and a separate GCU packed into the shell. No doubt it was a tight fit, but that's the same thing you had to do if you wanted to fly it with your 450 or 550. People just kept packing more and more gear onto a 900g Phantom, and DJI struggled to keep up. They raised the max takeoff weight 3-4 times between the P1 and P2...now the official documentation talks about 1350-1400g scenarios.

Your E300 numbers suggest something is off. 4S at the same mah should result in longer flight times because you've got 25% more power in the extra weight and extra cell in that format. But if you're getting 12:15 with 4S and less than 9 minutes with 3S, there's something wrong with the 3S setup or you're severely exceeding the weight recs. You should get relatively similar flight times between a 5000mah 3S and a 3700mah 4S, maybe a tad more on the 4 due to lower line loss.

Last update for the V2 was 4.02 in November IIRC, more than 6 months ago. Not necessarily a bad thing, since it suggests the latest FW is stable (and it seems so to me), but there's definitely something to be said about shifting resources to the latest and greatest current product (when was the last time the non-multirotor heli line was updated)? Some of the zenmuse guys have been pining for fixes for months too. But they just released a Naza-M Lite Mac assistant last week (that was a surprise), and the Naza-M V2 is still the "latest and greatest" so I think we'll see at least an Assistant update soon. I'm on the fence about a firmware update myself....nothing's really broken AFAIK and there's the specter of the no-fly zones I'd prefer to stay in the RTF market....

ElGuano said:
I think you hit on a few good points there, but I'd be a bit more generous myself.

Last update for the V2 was 4.02 in November IIRC, more than 6 months ago. Not necessarily a bad thing, since it suggests the latest FW is stable (and it seems so to me), but there's definitely something to be said about shifting resources to the latest and greatest current product (when was the last time the non-multirotor heli line was updated)? Some of the zenmuse guys have been pining for fixes for months too. But they just released a Naza-M Lite Mac assistant last week (that was a surprise), and the Naza-M V2 is still the "latest and greatest" so I think we'll see at least an Assistant update soon. I'm on the fence about a firmware update myself....nothing's really broken AFAIK and there's the specter of the no-fly zones I'd prefer to stay in the RTF market....

Re: updates - they opted to upgrade Naza lite and not Naza V2 to a MAC format - I find that strange, Naza lite doesn't support half of their accessories. I would love to dump the PC format or at least let us have the options of PC or MAC. (Yes I drank the Apple coolaid and have half a dozen MAC products and had to buy a single PC so I could calibrate my DJI products.)

I'm just frustrated w/DJIs thinking.... another example of no field testing - they offer a "no turn" option on their IPAD ground station - which is fine if it were to be only on a single way point flight - but it's available on multi way point flights and results in a rotation back and forth causing Phantom to drop severly in it's own vortex.

Overall I see a company rushing products to market without testing for possible reprocutions at the expense of it's customers. The P2 vision release in Dec is perfect example - rush to get it out for Christmas then deal with customer complaints in following days. The only hold up on the GS option for Vision owners is Apple, and rightly so - they're testing it extensively because of all the complaints of DJIs software.(that's from a tech within DJI) I'm trying to keep faith in their products but seeing this trend is not enhancing my confidence in their product line.

EMCSQUAR said:
I'm just frustrated w/DJIs thinking....

It's a valid complaint, and it sounds like one you've already voiced to DJI. If more people feel the same and let them know, they may take it to heart and change faster.

Lightbridge is another example of a product that could have had a smoother intro and launch, a few people pre-ordered and the shipping product is a bit different than what was originally announced.

I think they're dealing with explosive growth, and the product innovation areas are far outpacing the product lifecycle and customer support functions.

I do think they are getting better, but it's happening too slowly to keep up with the growth in the industry.

EMCSQUAR said:
Re: updates - they opted to upgrade Naza lite and not Naza V2 to a MAC format - I find that strange, Naza lite doesn't support half of their accessories. I would love to dump the PC format or at least let us have the options of PC or MAC. (Yes I drank the Apple coolaid and have half a dozen MAC products and had to buy a single PC so I could calibrate my DJI products.)

Hey, EMC....about this last point...*cough* *cough* http://www.dji.com/product/naza-m-v2/download

;) :twisted:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic