Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

I'm in the final stages of the conversion after managing to close the shell, attach the landing gear and gimbal, and begin to measure cables for the fpv tx and gimbal. Learning that DJI has finally released Mac software for the NAZA is (hopefully) the frosting on the cake.

I opted for the P2 battery (two of them) but also added an XT60 lead, just-in-case.

Now, as I anticipate actually getting this thing into the air, I'm tempted to get one or two additional but less-expensive batteries. I've just reviewed a related discussion led by El Guano on the Walkera 5200 but I haven't found anything more up to date that points me toward the best battery option. Or is the Walkera the leading contender?

Ask the p1.5 crew if a 113mm battery lets the door close. If so you might want to try the Walkera 6600mah battery. It's ~370g. I haven't tried it myself but if you're shooting for the 5200, that's an interesting option.

I'm still not crazy about the 5200 but I've gotten used to it and it works. I had it in the phantom this weekend for a 900m flight out over to an island in a deep lake...and it made it back OK :) Short 11min flight.

RE: new MAC asst for NAZA V2 - Well I'll be..... and it works! Anyone want to buy a PC laptop? ElG - I think you're right with the growth statement and I hope they keep improving. Thank You DJI for making my Phantoms and other DJI rigs MAC compatable.

The Air-End of the Ground Station fits nicely just behind the Tarot gimbal but there's not enough room remaining on the flat bottom of the shell for the Fatshark tx. I should have ordered a DeweyXD tray but Shapeways is slower than China and time is running out before I leave on a trip.

Any suggestions on how to mount the tx directly to the shell or to fabricate something more-or-less temporary to hold it? Doesn't have to look nice -- and in the meantime, I'll order a Dewey solution for later.

GearLoose said:
The Air-End of the Ground Station fits nicely just behind the Tarot gimbal but there's not enough room remaining on the flat bottom of the shell for the Fatshark tx. I should have ordered a DeweyXD tray but Shapeways is slower than China and time is running out before I leave on a trip.

Any suggestions on how to mount the tx directly to the shell or to fabricate something more-or-less temporary to hold it? Doesn't have to look nice -- and in the meantime, I'll order a Dewey solution for later.

I used sticky back tape (strong stuff) and attached it to ground station (air end)which is 3M velcro'd to belly. IE: stacked them. Additionally I added external connections to TX so I can disconnect both and transfer to other quads.

So far, so good... except I've encountered another issue: the Phantom's motors won't start unless I push the Futaba T8J sticks up instead of down -- and to increase throttle I have to pull down instead of pushing up. Huh?

I've doublechecked the Futaba and the settings appear not to have changed. I also tried reversing the throttle setting in the set-up menu but after that the Phantom didn't respond at all.

Please don't tell me I have to re-orient the main board or something equally drastic! :?

GearLoose said:
So far, so good... except I've encountered another issue: the Phantom's motors won't start unless I push the Futaba T8J sticks up instead of down -- and to increase throttle I have to pull down instead of pushing up. Huh?

I've doublechecked the Futaba and the settings appear not to have changed. I also tried reversing the throttle setting in the set-up menu but after that the Phantom didn't respond at all.

Please don't tell me I have to re-orient the main board or something equally drastic! :?

you need to go into Futaba and under "REVERSE" change you settings then recall sticks.

You've done it again, EMC... now, with heart in mouth and trembling fingers I will give it a maiden flight, very low, very close to home.

Wish me luck!

EMCSQUAR said:
you need to go into Futaba and under "REVERSE" change you settings then recall sticks.

The maiden flight was more-or-less successful, especially considering that I didn't crash....

Every step forward brings with it other issues, however, so here are my latest questions and doubts:

The P2 battery doesn't snap into place but remains about 1/8 inch shy of locking in firmly. There are a couple of leads crossing the rear of the battery compartment and though I assumed that there'd be sufficient room when the battery was fully inserted, that may be the problem.

It took an unusually long time to warm up, even after full calibrations and compass dance, and I ended up taking off in GPS mode with 6 satellites. Once it had hovered for about half a minute, I had "all green" in GPS mode. But... I couldn't get a GPS hold while hovering; the quad would drift in one direction or another, much like ATTI mode. No toilet-bowling, just a steady movement as if on a single track. I ended up using the sticks very carefully to maintain a hover. (Radio calibration? Compass?)

The battery voltage showed 12.4/12.3 at take-off. 9 minutes of hovering and I got steady flashing red, so landed. The voltage measured by the charger, after 15 minutes of rest, was 11.4.

Not having battery percentage readout on the iOSD is a pain, as I can never remember how voltage numbers translate to percentages. I'd appreciate suggestions on battery level settings.

When I read the voltage directly from the P2 battery with my multimeter it shows 8.0V, which is obviously not correct. What causes that low reading?

Sorry for another flood of questions -- I don't want to overshadow the tremendous gratitude I feel for the help I receive here. I literally could not have done this without you!

Here she is... Miss P1.5 "Can You See Me Now?"

Attachments

• P1.5 painted.jpg
    P1.5 painted.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 259

Just a quick reply, first thing I noticed is compass on wrong leg. Remember front is now back and visa versa. Compass usually goes on left rear (looking at the front. She looks pretty nice!

Is there actually a wrong leg and a right (correct) leg for the compass? I didn't know that.... I guess I'll have to get out the oyster knife and crack the shell open again. :twisted:

EMCSQUAR said:
Just a quick reply, first thing I noticed is compass on wrong leg. Remember front is now back and visa versa. Compass usually goes on left rear (looking at the front. She looks pretty nice!

GearLoose said:
Is there actually a wrong leg and a right (correct) leg for the compass? I didn't know that.... I guess I'll have to get out the oyster knife and crack the shell open again. :twisted:

EMCSQUAR said:

I'm going based on what others who have tried aftermarket landing gear (including myself) - try keeping compass as close to factory position as possible. I can't say for absolute certainty that it's a "must", but when I had mine altered before going to GPS/Compass puck, I had all kinds of erratic flights until compass was in factory postion.

EMC, You were definitely correct that the compass had to be changed. But, I found a suggestion to simply move the compass to the other side of the same leg and turn it 180 degrees, so that it now points "outboard" from the left leg instead of pointing toward the right leg.

The result was dramatic: the most solid GPS hover I've ever seen, no toilet-bowling at all and no drifting. I could hardly believe my eyes.

In regard to the battery, I am using the same levels set previously for a 2800mah Zippy:
-- 1st level, loaded, 10.5v
-- 2nd level, loaded, 9.9

I scribbled notes as I flew so these are give-or-take figures but they seem consistent with what EMCSQUAR reported back on page 19, so I'd like to run them by you for comment.

The AUW is 1455 grams (iOSD Mini, PMU V2, Ground Station, Tarot gimbal, Hero3 Black with CP, Fatshark 250mw, Immersion RC antenna with 6" extender, LED module in Dewey's holder, extended landing gear, DJI Vision props.)

Hovering and lite maneuvers. I was scrambling to keep this all straight so I don't have consistent figures.
Time/iOSD voltage/battery LEDs:

9:00/10.5V/ 2 green leds
10:50/10.4/ -- LED module blinking red continuously
12:30/ 1 solid 1 blinking green led

Landed at 12:30 and the iOSD voltage rebounded to 11.0, one green battery led.
After resting the battery, the charger voltage reading was 11.43V.

I'm more interested in longevity than pushing the battery's limits so my basic question is, "should I do anything different or leave my voltage levels as they are and land at 10.4V?"

EMCSQUAR said:
GearLoose said:

EMCSQUAR said:

I'm going based on what others who have tried aftermarket landing gear (including myself) - try keeping compass as close to factory position as possible. I can't say for absolute certainty that it's a "must", but when I had mine altered before going to GPS/Compass puck, I had all kinds of erratic flights until compass was in factory postion.

I would probably up the battery warning levels as to not overwork your batteries. My comfort zone is 1st level - 10.6, 2nd level 10.3.

Anything lower and your on that fine line of possible crash or not making it home. - say a hard manuever or wind. I like a little padding and remember your bird is heavier than stock and landings take a little longer to avoid the dreaded "prop wash".

I've made a few flights now and I'm very pleased with the 1.5 conversion. Actually, I'm more than pleased -- this "new" Phantom really works much better for me than its previous incarnation. The extra weight undoubtedly helps stabilize the quad in flight, so I'm not having to deal with a lot of twitchiness. The GPS hold is remarkable -- I've done a few 360 panoramas and it turns as if on a pole.

As far as I can see, the main drawback is the high cost of batteries. I'm flying with a timer until I gain more practice using the OSD and monitoring the P2 battery. For now I've got the timer at 10 minutes: when it goes off I come in slowly and land. The voltage consistently shows 10.4 with 2 green leds. After resting the voltage is just under 10.7 and the battery takes 60% to fully charge.

Ten minutes of flight isn't a huge improvement but knowing that I don't have to panic-land at 10 minutes is a big plus. Then again, I only have 2 batteries and I'm already finding reasons to need more.

Which brings me back to an earlier question that didn't get much of a response: is anyone happily using batteries other than the P2?

GearLoose said:
As far as I can see, the main drawback is the high cost of batteries. I'm flying with a timer until I gain more practice using the OSD and monitoring the P2 battery. For now I've got the timer at 10 minutes: when it goes off I come in slowly and land. The voltage consistently shows 10.4 with 2 green leds. After resting the voltage is just under 10.7 and the battery takes 60% to fully charge.

Which brings me back to an earlier question that didn't get much of a response: is anyone happily using batteries other than the P2?

Those numbers are REALLY weird. When are you seeing 10.4v? While it is in the air, or after the motors have stopped spinning?

Most people with P2s go by the smart battery's current counter percentage to land so I don't know what the battery's ideal landing voltage is, but 10.4 with a reported 50% charge remaining is extremely suspect. It takes my 10C 5200mah 3S2P a drain to 10.4v (loaded) in order to use 80-85% charge with a 1200g Phantom, and that's far lower voltage than I bring any of my other batteries. How heavy is your Phantom? I'm thinking you may need to recalibrate your smart battery (which I imagine is harder to do without the Phantom 2 NAZA's assistant for battery reporting).

oops... sorry, senior moment there. :oops:

Those voltages were actually 11.4 and just under 11.7.

ElGuano said:
GearLoose said:
As far as I can see, the main drawback is the high cost of batteries. I'm flying with a timer until I gain more practice using the

OSD and monitoring the P2 battery. For now I've got the timer at 10 minutes: when it goes off I come in slowly and land. The voltage consistently shows 10.4 with 2 green leds. After resting the voltage is just under 10.7 and the battery takes 60% to fully charge.

Those numbers are REALLY weird. When are you seeing 10.4v? While it is in the air, or after the motors have stopped spinning?

Most people with P2s go by the smart battery's current counter percentage to land so I don't know what the battery's ideal landing voltage is, but 10.4 with a reported 50% charge remaining is extremely suspect. It takes my 10C 5200mah 3S2P a drain to 10.4v (loaded) in order to use 80-85% charge with a 1200g Phantom, and that's far lower voltage than I bring any of my other batteries. How heavy is your Phantom? I'm thinking you may need to recalibrate your smart battery (which I imagine is harder to do without the Phantom 2 NAZA's assistant for battery reporting).

GearLoose said:

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. And those are great results! 11.4v loaded at 10 minutes? You should hit 15+min easily by the time you reach 10.7v.

I'll probably resist the urge to go for 15 minutes (I have a sad history of crashing from too low batteries) and use the reserve as a safety net, just-in-case I suddenly spot a Sasquatch and have to make a detour. :)

So, El Guano and others with a P1.5, how about your experience and suggestions for those less-expensive batteries that I need so badly?

ElGuano said:
GearLoose said:

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. And those are great results! 11.4v loaded at 10 minutes? You should hit 15+min easily by the time you reach 10.7v.

GearLoose said:
I'll probably resist the urge to go for 15 minutes (I have a sad history of crashing from too low batteries) and use the reserve as a safety net, just-in-case I suddenly spot a Sasquatch and have to make a detour. :)

So, El Guano and others with a P1.5, how about your experience and suggestions for those less-expensive batteries that I need so badly?

ElGuano said:
GearLoose said:

I avoided the "other batteries" question because I don't have a P1.5, I have a P1 with the bottom shell carved out to take a battery nearly as big as can fit into the P2 shell. I'm just a squatter in this thread :)

But to the extent a P1.5 is just a cleaner, easier version of the P1 carve-out mod, I'm happy to answer any questions relating to running larger 3rd party and homemade batteries with the Phantom. I just can't speak personally to whether certain batteries FIT the P2 shell well or not...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West