Video Backups

Reaction score
I've been flying my P3 4k for about 18 months and an Inspire 1 V2 for 5 months now. After every day of flying I would download the video and still to a 4TB drive. Then reuse the SD card the next flight.
A couple of days ago I went to edit video and what a surprise, not a good one. The 4TB Seagate was dead. Too many bad sectors! I used every method online and took it to the local guru.
Nothing worked. I've list 18 months if video and still.
From now on I'll keep separate SD cards for every project to protect the original footage and back up but to a SSD.
How many backups do you use normally??

I have Seagates external HD 4 TB, I backup to one and make a backup of that drive to another 4TB, So far I have never had a Seagate HD fail, So far. These external HD are portable and I never bump them around and always eject them from my computer before disconnecting, so make sure the drives light is off and the disks are not spinning as I have seen a friends external drive crash and die because she pulled the usb out of the computer as it was in use.

In macOS I have one "Carbon Copy Cloner.app" almost up-to-date full bootable backup of my work disk and another every-one-month backup.

...just two weeks ago I begun to have occasional "spinning pizza of death" cursors and I/O errors (i.e. failing disk). So a few days ago I installed a new HD, then two days ago restored from a very recent backup, and just today I finished re-backing-up all. Nothing lost in the process.

My two backup drives are external Voyager "toaster" drives where I currently use 1.5 TB and 3 TB bare Seagate disks.

NewerTech® : Storage : Voyager Q/S3

Last edited:
All my photos and video are on a NAS drive (mirrored pair) and this NAS backs up to another NAS at my sister's house over the internet every night.

Paranoid? Me?

I also keep multiple redundancies of all my files. I use a 4TB Time Machine HD on my mac for incremental backups, but I can't back up my drone vids on this disk because of size constraints. My solution is to use a spare 4TB internal volume to back up all my drone videos. Finally, my disaster recovery plan is a pair of 4TB external USB disks. Each one can hold my most important files. One is kept in another room in my house, and the other one is at my mother-in-law's place about 10 minutes away. Every time she drops by she brings a disk over and I swap it with the other one, all freshly backed up. Call me paranoid if you want, but I've never lost a file as a result of a disk failure, but I've had a lot of disks fail.

These off site backups are not too paranoid and are a very sound strategy. The swapping of drives via mother in law does leave some window of vulnerability while the over the internet backup to the sister’s house is better in that regard if you can pull it off. I was using CrashPlan for my internet backup but they stopped offering a home service. I switched to Carbonite but it turns out their base package is stingy on space yet not cheap. It’s prohibitive to buy enough to take care of video and photos I have.

I use a toaster and bare drives too for local backup. I thought about keeping them in the garage at the bottom of my hill. But I’m afraid that will keep me from backing up as often as I should. So I may get one of those media safes rated especially for protecting magnetic media during a fire. And keep that in my house.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor