using macbook pro for f.p.v…?

Reaction score
i saw the iOS mini and datalink with can bus hub on e bay for 229 and wondering if i can use my macbook pro set up on a tripod in a wireless fashion with my phantom 2 with Zenmuse h3 3d and go pro hero 3?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221500433414?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
this is the ad above.
i am new to this and just want to see what i am taking pictures of for framing my shots. i don't need more than 2000 ft distance if that.
thanks for your input..i am loving this phantom and can see no end to spending what little money i have. lol.

Correct, this is a ground station for control only, no video.
To get video, you will need some sort of transmitter and some sort of receiver. For your Mac, you will need a digital capture device - or potentially the Light Bridge, but not sure this supports Mac??

A 7" high brightness screen is the better bet, as you can get them with dual receivers for less drop out. Mac screens are not great outdoors, unless you punch the brightness right up.

i took my mac out in bright sun and it looks just fine to me without even a shade. i am trying to save money and have a bigger screen as well..but still not sure what else i need to do fpv and ground station. i just don't want to buy the fpv gear and find out i should have done it differently when i am ready to add ground station.

thumpinhard said:
..but still not sure what else i need to do fpv and ground station. i just don't want to buy the fpv gear and find out i should have done it differently when i am ready to add ground station.
I think the majority use either a tablet or phone for their ground station app. You could also use your laptop for that and FPV, but a more conventional FPV setup would be advised. To use your laptop you would still need a video transmitter and receiver, a battery to power the receiver and also some sort of capture device to get the analog video signal into your laptop. This solution will also increase the video latency leading to a less than ideal FPV setup. You can most definitely achieve what you're after, but most here would advise against it.

thanks for the answer I was wondering if this would get too complicated and latency would be an issue so it sounds like I should bail on this idea and just live with like a boscam monitor with receiver so thanks for the input

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl