Using a battery couple of times in a day

Reaction score
Hey All

Always wanted to ask.
Yesterday, i had a small flight, of like 5 minutes. AFter i packed up.
Later on in the evening decided to fly again. So i used this battery which was down to 80% approx.
Flew fine.
But i remembered after that people here used to post to charge your battery before every flight.
What about this case? What is the practice with using the battery 2-3 times a day?

In that particular instance I would have topped it off. I wouldn't have a problem recharging a battery for a couple full flights within the same day, but I'd let the battery cool down at least a half hour and more after a flight before recharging it. Having more than one battery is helpful for sure.

Yes, you can "almost" never have enough flight battery packs. I have four and wished the DJI hardshell backpack held a couple more. ;-)

I even bought a second 100w charger, to keep everything happy...
After every ten full charges, deep cycle them intelligent flight packs, down to 5-8%, then fully charge up to 100%.

RedHotPoker

Yes, but that doesn't answer the question. meaning, i have a second battery, and i used it. By i also had this one which was down to 80%. And i didn't have a chance to recharge.
I understand the best is to top it off, but what if i can't and i went down only by 20% on my first flight?

Didn't you answer your own question initially? I recall 'flew fine' in your post. And it should do that consistently. Just be mindful when flying a battery not topped off and the lower it is, the more careful you need to be. At 50% I would not fly that again without charging it. At 80% I'd be comfortable but anything less and I would only fly it down for a moderate flight within range. And it may not matter really, but I'm also in the habit of taking the battery out of the bird after a flight and keeping a fully charged battery out of the bird until close to flight time. But that's me.

Yes, you can "almost" never have enough flight battery packs. I have four and wished the DJI hardshell backpack held a couple more. ;-)

I even bought a second 100w charger, to keep everything happy...
After every ten full charges, deep cycle them intelligent flight packs, down to 5-8%, then fully charge up to 100%.

RedHotPoker
I have four too, one of them being modded for external batteries. I like having four but it can be a pain too. They need looking after and rotating and yada yada. Two is actually better for me but I got mine with three and now I'm at four. No more, that's for sure. Four is plenty for me to fly and babysit.

Set them and forget them, until you plan to fly, top them up on the morning of and off you go. Go-on git!! Chuckles
Yeah four is a chore, but when I leave to go flying, I like to have some fun. So the More the merrier.. Eh? Ha

RedHotPoker

May I ask what that process is, do you leave it running on idle to flatten to that %, I have warning set to 25% and critical 15%, always come in at first warning, once or twice reached critical % but still higher than 5-8%

DJI says you should always launch with a fully charged battery.

However, many have insisted that they've flown with partially charged batteries used earlier on the same day and never had an issue. The key seems to be "same day."

What you do with your battery is up to you.

Reactions: t2adze
May I ask what that process is, do you leave it running on idle to flatten to that %, I have warning set to 25% and critical 15%, always come in at first warning, once or twice reached critical % but still higher than 5-8%
Yes, you can leave it running, on the ground, or remove the props if you like. I find the onboard Flight SIM used here is great. I place my drone on top of a fan that faces up, so it can't over heat, sitting idle, without the props spinning, to help cool it down.

RedHotPoker

Assuming you're watching the battery voltage, you should have no problem taking off with a battery at 80%. Just don't plan on flying a normal mission that requires at 100% battery.

Reactions: t2adze
What if we consider the other point of view about this charge-discharge cycles. We know that each full charge is recorded on smart battery memory, and along with this number increasing, we'll find the battery life is also degrading. Perhaps this is the OP concerns. . . Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl