Upset Neighbor

As a Florida resident I find many here who like to point out this law to me, in case I wasn't aware of it, tend to view the definition of surveillance as 'look' or 'see' where I tend to view it as 'stare' with intent.
Words' meanings change with context so it's important to review/research the legal meaning rather than a personal or casual meaning.
Quick google search definition:

Surveillance:
close observation, especially of a suspected spy or criminal.

As long as you are that high you can't really get an image of a house that's any better than google earth. You'd have to be buzzing someone at less than 100 feet to be suspected of surveillance I would think.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Great.
Extend the search to legal definition as well.
This is the context of its use in 'laws'.

As a Florida resident I find many here who like to point out this law to me, in case I wasn't aware of it, tend to view the definition of surveillance as 'look' or 'see' where I tend to view it as 'stare' with intent.
Words' meanings change with context so it's important to review/research the legal meaning rather than a personal or casual meaning.

Yep - the legal definition here is much more broad than the common meaning of the word. At least for persons, the language imparts more of a true surveillance aspect. The property portion is much too broad in my opinion.

Quick google search definition:

Surveillance:
close observation, especially of a suspected spy or criminal.

In the FL drone law:

(e) “Surveillance” means:
1. With respect to an owner, tenant, occupant, invitee, or licensee of privately owned real property, the observation of such persons with sufficient visual clarity to be able to obtain information about their identity, habits, conduct, movements, or whereabouts; or
2. With respect to privately owned real property, the observation of such property’s physical improvements with sufficient visual clarity to be able to determine unique identifying features or its occupancy by one or more persons.

Now where there may be some wiggle room is in the term "observation" - which could be argued to mean intentional and persistent viewing. Again, another aspect of law that has not yet to my knowledge been tested.

I have plans to contact my State representatives and suggest an amendment to the law that excludes activities related to legitimate business purposes conducted by a Part 107 pilot.

In the FL drone law:

(e) “Surveillance” means:
1. With respect to an owner, tenant, occupant, invitee, or licensee of privately owned real property, the observation of such persons with sufficient visual clarity to be able to obtain information about their identity, habits, conduct, movements, or whereabouts; or
2. With respect to privately owned real property, the observation of such property’s physical improvements with sufficient visual clarity to be able to determine unique identifying features or its occupancy by one or more persons.

Now where there may be some wiggle room is in the term "observation" - which could be argued to mean intentional and persistent viewing. Again, another aspect of law that has not yet to my knowledge been tested.

I have plans to contact my State representatives and suggest an amendment to the law that excludes activities related to legitimate business purposes conducted by a Part 107 pilot.
So where do you stand if you aren't recording or taking pictures when flying over someone's property? Does FPV fall under surveillance?

As long as you are that high you can't really get an image of a house that's any better than google earth. You'd have to be buzzing someone at less than 100 feet to be suspected of surveillance I would think.
You really shouldn't fly when you're that high anyway. Should just stick to listening to Pink Floyd and eating a bag of Cheetos.

:D:D:D

So where do you stand if you aren't recording or taking pictures when flying over someone's property? Does FPV fall under surveillance?

It would certainly seem to fall under the definition of "observation".

I'm the opposite. I wouldn't say a word to her. She made a threat, she actually threatened to unlawfully discharge a firearm. I would let the authorities deal with her. At least make a report and allow a record of her comments to be officially recorded. Then I would continue to lawfully fly my bird.

Keep the flight records.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Echopiece

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT