Upgrade to Phantom 3 Pro or Phantom 4

Reaction score
Hello! Ok - so I have owned my Phantom 3 Standard for about 2 months. Love it! You all probably think I am crazy but I am considering upgrading my drone to either a Phantom 3 Pro or a Phantom 4 (not the pro version). I have read the stats - and like the obstacle avoidance thing - but I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? I know that DJI has stopped producing the P3 Advanced and Pro - but places like Best Buy still have plenty of these (I could also get a used one) - just wondering which would be the better purchase. Best buy has a sale on Phantom 3 Pro's for 800. The main advantage that I see in getting a Phantom 3 Pro is that all of my accessories will be compatible - which saves me a ton of money. Thoughts?

You could also pick up a P3P from an authorized DJI dealer on Amazon here for $799. The benefit of buying from Amazon is no tax and free shipping. Or, if you're considering a used Phantom 3, you can get a refurbished Phantom 3 with an extra battery for $749 directly from DJI here.

You could also pick up a P3P from an authorized DJI dealer on Amazon here for $799. The benefit of buying from Amazon is no tax and free shipping. Or, if you're considering a used Phantom 3, you can get a refurbished Phantom 3 with an extra battery for $749 directly from DJI here.
Thanks! Good advice on going through Amazon. Any thoughts on the P3 Pro versus Phantom 4???

There's nothing wrong with the P3P. I have a P3P as well as the P4, and the resulting videos and photos are almost identical. It would take a professional to pick the better photo/video when comparing. If you have a bunch of P3 batteries it makes perfect sense to pursue a P3P. Then you'll have a backup drone for training purposes (wife, kids, friends), one that you can invite a friend along to fly with you. Even though I just got a Mavic, my 3rd craft, I refuse to sell my P3 because it works so good. However, I have the old GL300A controller (July-2015 vintage) with my P3P (W323A) that I trust way more than the new GL300C that comes with the newest P3P. I've got a GL300C from my P4, mothballed, sitting in my closet because DJI detuned the C model for some reason, not sure why. I use an Inspire controller (GL658A) with my P4 to get decent range (same range as my P3P) of about 3 miles. The GL300B works good too, I had one of those also and had no complaints. However, MaxxUAS says the plastic in the GL300B is terrible, something that's important if you ever decided to modify the controller. So it might be wise to ASK what controller comes with the P3P you intend to buy. Just avoid the GL300C.

Here are the primary differences IMO that make the P4 a little better than P3P:
1. 40+mph, versus 33mph, however you can't video past 30mph without getting the props in view.
2. 25min flight times with the new 5870mah P4P battery
3. Clip on props. Fast to install!
4. Looks sexy, a much cleaner and reliable gimbal and camera design.

Cons to P4
1. I rarely use OA in the P4 because I can only go about 18mph in that mode. Some will do 22mph. That's just too slow in most cases.
2. The GL300C controller is weak. You'll be disappointed in the range and need an antenna mod immediately ($150), or an Inspire controller ($300 on eBay).
3. Batteries cost more.
4. Camera sits 9mm higher than P3P, which puts the props in the camera view earlier.

Last edited:
However, I have the old GL300A controller (July-2015 vintage) with my P3P (W323A) that I trust way more than the new GL300C that comes with the newest P3P. I've got a GL300C from my P4, mothballed, sitting in my closet because DJI detuned the C model for some reason, not sure why. I use an Inspire controller (GL658A) with my P4 to get decent range (same range as my P3P) of about 3 miles. The GL300B works good too, I had one of those also and had no complaints. However, MaxxUAS says the plastic in the GL300B is terrible, something that's important if you ever decided to modify the controller. So it might be wise to ASK what controller comes with the P3P you intend to buy. Just avoid the GL300C.

Question - I am wondering how difficult it would be to get a P3P with a GL300a or b??? If the P3P now comes with a GL300c...wouldn't most P3P's have this controller unless it is a really old version that hasn't sold? Also - can you tell me the negatives of the C? On my P3 Standartd - range sucks. Even with a windsurfer - I only get around 1200 feet before losing connection. I flew with a friend that has the P3A - and he was able to get about 4000 feet. How about a P3P? Range? does this drastically change between the a, b, and c controllers?

Question - I am wondering how difficult it would be to get a P3P with a GL300a or b??? If the P3P now comes with a GL300c...wouldn't most P3P's have this controller unless it is a really old version that hasn't sold? Also - can you tell me the negatives of the C? On my P3 Standartd - range sucks. Even with a windsurfer - I only get around 1200 feet before losing connection. I flew with a friend that has the P3A - and he was able to get about 4000 feet. How about a P3P? Range? does this drastically change between the a, b, and c controllers?
Find out what controller your friend has with his P3A. I'm betting it's the GL300C. My GL300A and B would easily go 2mi and if I pushed it, 3mi on a calm way, calm enough to have enough battery for that distance. That's specifically using a custom channel with 4mbps bit rate for "transmission quality". That seems to be the best way to get distance from the P3P.

New units will likely have the C controller, unless you can find a shop with old stock. You can call Mike Holt in Northern California, he might have a new unit with the GL300A or B controller. He repairs DJI craft at home on the side, does very good work. He bought all the P3P inventory at a shop in Oregon that went out of business about a year ago. He might still have one. PM me if interested, I'll provide a contact #.

Id go for the P4 having had both feels more quality , faster, longer battery life its
not much more in price really

Any thoughts on the P3 Pro versus Phantom 4?
Considering they are only about $300 apart in price right now, I'd take the P4. Here's why I prefer it over the P3P:
  • The build quality is noticeably better
  • The props lock onto the motors (instead of screwing on)
  • VPS system has more sensors -- allowing for better stability when closer to the ground
  • Redundant IMU/compass
  • Sport mode (fun to fly, but not good for taking videos/photos)
FWIW, I have no problems with the range. The P4 (and P3P) can fly much further than anyone's eye can see. And, as John Locke knows since he lives in the US, flying beyond VLOS is illegal and sometimes dangerous.

Reactions: coullit
Yes, simply the P4 costs more because it's better
Thanks for everyone's advice! I ended up getting the P3P. After a lot of thinking, what made me steer toward the P3P versus P4 is that I have a decent amount of money invested in the P3 already (batteries, case, etc.). Therefore the cost differential is much more than the $800 versus $1200 price point when you figure in getting a new case ($100 - for a cheap but reliable one), 2 extra batteries ($150 each - unless you chance 3rd party batteries), and other accessories. So - at a minimum, for me to buy the P4 at this time - I would be looking at $400 cost differential + $400 for the basic necessities). At $800 extra - just felt it better to go with the P3P at this time. That being said - In a year or two - I am sure the P4's will come down in price when they introduce new models - so I will go with the P4 when that happens (especially when it comes time for me to start needing to replace the batteries on the P3P). Thanks again for everyone's excellent thoughts on this!

Ouldn't it be best to buy from and fiulfilled by amazon just for the generous return policy?\ as compared to other sellers or even the garbage dji warranty? Just curious

Ouldn't it be best to buy from and fiulfilled by amazon just for the generous return policy?
You would be able to take advantage of Amazon's generous return policy as long as the item is marked as Amazon Prime. While Amazon is not the seller for most Amazon Prime deals, they do ship most of them and handle the returns (if needed).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing