Upgrade my tablet

Are you using the supplied cable ?

No. But the cable I used allowed me to move files back and forth from my pc to the tablet so I assumed it would work with the RC . I'll try later with the cable that came with the tablet.

Update: If I select "yes allow access" the app disconnects. If I select "no charge only" I seem to be good. Make any sense?
1525739870954.jpg

If you go to: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help, you will see the tablets that will work w/DJI birds, and their specs. Personally, I am paranoid about cell towers and wires that do not appear on maps, and would like to be able to take evasive action if I see such an object "approaching". Therefore, the faster core processor will provide the minimum lag time video feed. I currently use the Shield K1 (2.2 ghz processor). However I note that the Huawei media pad M3 processor is 2.3 ghz. I'm thinkin too......
This list is not accurate, I just bought the acer iconia is tab 8 and can't even download the dji go app!

This list is not accurate, I just bought the acer iconia is tab 8 and can't even download the dji go app!
What happens is that the latest GO app will only work on certain versions of Android OS, this was why I upgraded my older Tab to the M3,

So if you were to go back a version of the app you will find it works.

How can I download a older version? I am no good at all with electronics, I just point and shoot....

I've been using a 2018 9.7 inch iPad and it's pretty good.
A great big screen is fantastic! Messing about with a tiny phone screen is hard work.
Nothing available is bright enough except crystal sky which is horrifically under specced.
The Android tablet market is in a mess and it is very hard to find a tablet with enough horsepower to safely use it for drones without glitchiness.
However I have ordered a Huawei mediapad M5 8.4 inch tablet and have high hopes.
It's horses for courses with which tablet you use. The iPad for Ground Station Pro and many other third party softwares not available on Android, and new Huawei M5 for being able to install patched APKs ( nolimitsdrones ) for FAA and boost modes.

I have the pro plus controller too and it's just not up to the task. You have to treat it very carefully and not try to do too much at the same time or it just buckles.

Nexus 9 was not really up to the task, and Nexus 6P is a phone and therefore too small but seems to work well enough, though it's only function is to use a modified APK to frig the controller into FAA mode, which then instructs the drone to do the same before hotswapping back to the iPad.
I'm hoping the Huawei M5 will negate the need for this step and give acceptable performance for all the software available on the Android platform.

There is however no getting away from the fact that you need a device with enough horsepower to run DJIGO4 satisfactorily these days, and also the fact that some software just isn't available on Android. Conversely, I'm sure there are some apps you might like for drone use that are not available in Apple land.

The M5 tablet thinks it is a phone and you can actually use it for calls. So just for a laugh I think I'll put my SIM in it and use it for calls while flying. What could possibly go wrong!
It has really loud speakers but no built in earpiece for calls.
I suppose Bluetooth headphones/ headset might work if such a thing exists.......

Last edited:
I do enough hacking of the birds and software that I honestly don't have the time or the inclination to worry about the friggin' tablet. The tablet is a hammer. I just want it to hammer nails, and the iPad does that without complaint. The Android market is simply too polluted with too many choices. It's too easy to make the wrong choice. Apple is easy. Buy an iPad Air 1 or later, and you're golden. The newer, the better.

Reactions: Loz
If money is not an issue, I would suggest you go with the Galaxy Tab S3 however if you want to save some and still want to get good performance then go for the ipad 6th gen.

I'm hoping the Huawei M5 will negate the need for this step and give acceptable performance for all the software available on the Android platform.
The Huawei M3 is an outstanding flying tablet.
The M5 on paper looks like it may be even better.
I've only seen one report from an M5 user so far and he was extremely happy with it.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Been doing some research and have found the "smallest width" setting in developer options. If you set it above a threshold value your tablet becomes a tablet again as God intended. Chrome has tabs and you can fit much more info on the screen because everything is smaller. But with these high Rez screens that's what we want. In fact you can basically resize the dji go4 user Interface to be as big or or as small as you like. I like all the buttons quite small and the warnings no longer dominate the whole screen. Set it at about 750 and tweak from there.
It brings the map back over to the right and the circular artificial horizon reappears on the left. Bloody marvellous!
I had it set to 2000 for a bit, just for a giggle and it's pretty funny trying to read anything. I wouldn't go above 1500 unless you have good eyes or a magnifying glass handy and know exactly where to go to undo it.

Reactions: gingerbloke
I have not replaced a tablet in a long time the only tablet I have is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 edition has anybody used this tablet? I'm currently running an old Samsung Galaxy 8 phone with everything shut off

I have not replaced a tablet in a long time the only tablet I have is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 edition has anybody used this tablet? I'm currently running an old Samsung Galaxy 8 phone with everything shut off

Only issue that you may have is that the latest version of GO4 only works on the latest Android OS, as yours is a 2014 model it will be worth telling us what version of OS it is on, I run a older Samsung tablet, the M3 replaced this, but it will only work on older version of the App, hope this makes sense.

Only issue that you may have is that the latest version of GO4 only works on the latest Android OS, as yours is a 2014 model it will be worth telling us what version of OS it is on, I run a older Samsung tablet, the M3 replaced this, but it will only work on older version of the App, hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• 15319619720189037601436796816327.jpg
    15319619720189037601436796816327.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 195
Whatever version it is to what it's supposed to be it was a little choppy I disabled a lot of the apps but I don't see where to get into a performance mode on it

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164