Upgrade my Pro to the Mavic

Reaction score
Whats up guys. I currently have the Phantom 3 pro, I got it second hand from a guy who was looking to travel and he ended up selling it because he couldn't travel over seas with it. And I got a steal on the pro with extras. Iv had it for several months after originally owning a standard. Im using it right now for fun and to record videos for my clothing line, and in the future use it for some real estate and other commercial purposes.

Iv been watching and reading upon the Mavic, and it has caught my attention. I LOVE that it folds up and is easier to take on the go with. The design and controller caught my eye big time.

Im just wondering if anybody on here has upgraded from their pro to the Mavic already? And why?

Im thinking about posting my bird for sale online, with everything that I have with it I believe I could get $900 or so out of it and was wondering if its worth upgrading to the Mavic if I get my money out of it for my P3P...

Thoughts?

I have had a p3p for over one and half year. I finally caved in and order a mavic yesterday...simply for the portability factor...the p3p with its Dji case, 3 batteries, remote etc was just way too big to take on trips.. I've taken it to Mexico three times already and I started to find it a bit cumbersome and heavy to lug around...
I'm taking another trip there in 3 weeks and hoping the mavic will get here before that..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I was thinking about that. I was even thinking to buy Karma for its portability (glad I didn`t) . I decided not to sell P3P just because it is a working horse. I have 4 batteries, goggles, dedicated ipad for that )) and two controllers plus my body has the same P3P. I do not use it for fun, I do not fly for free at all, even if I really want to. I am in video production business and I make money with the help of P3P.

Buying a Mavic means buying new case, new batteries, new propellers and so on... Do not forget that the camera on Mavic is the same as on P3P, so it is basically the same drone. If I want to upgrade I want to see the difference in video quality first. I think if you fly for fun - Mavic is a great way to go, it is small and fast and looks fantastic

Well I'm in the process of getting my class 107. Have some friends in real estate who want to try and have me work with them. So I was thinking at least I can use the mavic and get me an advanced down the road or even a professional if I find one cheap enough

The mavic has caught my attention a lot.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind on selling your p3p and buying a mavic.

Personally, I agree with tvckz. Too many accessories, batteries, etc to re-purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sounds like you have already made up your mind on selling your p3p and buying a mavic.

Personally, I agree with tvckz. Too many accessories, batteries, etc to re-purchase.

I actually bought this pro with all of the accessories for $700 plus more but I sold them. I had 5 batteries at once from a $700 bundle and sold them all but two.

Here in Denmark it can be hard to sell the P3P as the Mavic and P4 is all everybody is talking about now. I thought about selling mine and buying a Mavic but then I have to get new ND filters etc etc. and basically what I get is portability which I honestly don't need that much. I got the Manfrotto D1 as well as a Pelicase so I can go most places with the P3P - but I seldom go far from my car with the P3P anyway. So I keep the P3P as I'm very happy with it and then I will buy the P4P when the price is more attractive, for example for a used one.

Im just wondering if anybody on here has upgraded from their pro to the Mavic already?
I don't know if I'd call it an upgrade. It's a different type of drone. If you're looking for something that's more portable though, then it would be a good fit for you.

Surely it would be a significant improvement in most respects compared to a P3P (leaving aside the portability aspect).

Surely it would be a significant improvement in most respects compared to a P3P (leaving aside the portability aspect).

How come, it's more or less the same picture quality you get from both..? Then there is the frontal collision avoidance on the Mavic and portability of course. Other than that I only remember some new modes in DJI Go 4 which are also available in Litchi (though I personally never will need them).

I actually bought this pro with all of the accessories for $700 plus more but I sold them. I had 5 batteries at once from a $700 bundle and sold them all but two.

You missed the point....

For $700 you have a p3p and 5 batteries. Even if you sold it for $950, you would have to buy a mavic for $999 and have one battery...

I have a Phantom 3 Standard and have only flown it for a month. But after I purchased the second battery that is all I am going to buy for it. Why? Because after I become proficient with this Phantom I am buying the Mavic.
If for no other reason than a FOUR MILE RANGE. Both for control and for video feed. Think of the videos you could get covering four miles of territory. To me that makes it worth every penny to buy a second Quad.

it's more or less the same picture quality you get from both..

Agreed there's not much in it. The major difference in the P3's favour is the wider FOV of the camera and the mavic can shoot just a bit faster fps (though not as fast as the P4s 120fps)

Range, collision avoidance, precision landing, active track (?), speed, battery life otherwise.

Stick with the P3P,I have both and am constantly having trouble keeping my Mavic videos in Focus ! Still trying to work this out,aggravating!!

Stick with the P3P,I have both and am constantly having trouble keeping my Mavic videos in Focus ! Still trying to work this out,aggravating!!

I got the mavic but the problem I'm having with it is the motion blur I'm getting while I record. I get this blink throughout my footage I think it's not having nd filters and shutter speed too high. Not sure but I never had this problem with my p3p.

I like the mavic because of its portability but thinking about it, I'm not flying out of country or anything. Carry a phantom wasn't even trouble before.

I have both and I can see a difference in quality. The Mavic video is generally sharper because you can focus it. There is a learning curve for focusing but once you figure it out the end result is generally sharper. Additionally, you are far less likely to have props in your video with the Mavic. At least that's my experience. Now to the accessory issue. Get the Fly-more bundle and be done with it. The only thing you require aside from that is a good set of ND filters. The bag, charging options, batteries, props are a steal at the price point it was offered and have found no real reason to buy extras. I suppose you could argue that you would need to buy a mounting bracket to accommodate the use of a larger mobile device but I haven't needed to do that. I kept my P3p. Primarily, because I'm heavily invested in the platform. The P3 is far more costly to equip. My case alone was $200. I love the P3p but my Mavic is significantly better in just about every aspect. I say this not even considering the fact that the Mavic can fit in my glovebox where my Phantom requires its own seat or a dedicated spot in the trunk. I find that I am much more likely to fly my Mavic because I take it with me everyday. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kai Mele

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94